[GS] Bought a new computer I hope will be great for Gathering Storm

So looking at the Phoenicia live stream, late game turn times still look slow. What's better to increase late game turn speed? CPU speed or Ram? I don't think it would be GPU ram would it? I need to know what I should spend more money on. I'm thinking this new expansion will require better specs, and my computer is out of date.

Probably CPU speed. I'd say, if you analyse your system under civ6 stress with the tool, Aristos mentioned above, he could give more reliable & detailed advice ;) (Unless your system is already systematically swapping or something like that.)

So looking at the Phoenicia live stream, late game turn times still look slow. What's better to increase late game turn speed? CPU speed or Ram? I don't think it would be GPU ram would it? I need to know what I should spend more money on. I'm thinking this new expansion will require better specs, and my computer is out of date.
Based on the little testing I have done, I'd say just go for high CPU speed. Intel's 9xxx/8xxx/7xxx/6xxx i5-K-models (basically the same architecture in all, though 8/9-series have 6 cores instead of 4, and 9-series include hardware-level fixes for side-channel attacks like Spectre) will probably give you the best bang for the buck, when overclocked with a decent cooler. Should reach ~5GHz. Of course, if your motherboard isn't compatible, doesn't allow overclocking or has poor voltage regulation, you'd need to upgrade that as well. And if you're still using DDR3, you can't use it with the new mobo, either.

edit:
Cryptic lady anyone? Not for me the evidence, or not for me the happening?
I was interested in this myself, so I tried if it makes any difference running the AI benchmark with max vs min settings (using the same resolution so there's the same amount of stuff on screen). It does, even though I get a solid 60FPS at max settings, so there's at least something going on.

Last edited:

Install MSI Afterburner, set it up, and run it together with civ 6 and a typical late-game savegame of yours... the OSD will tell you exactly where your bottleneck might be (focused on graphic performance, but still...).

As for upgrading your CPU side of the equation, define "out of date"... I am running a 2013 self-built and it handles civ 6 pretty well, all mid to high settings... it has the venerable workhorse I7 4790 (which now sells used for 600-1200 US$ :crazyeye:), and a stubborn 2 Gigs GTX 760 (my bottleneck is that 2 Gig right there). If you wanna upgrade CPU, these are aprox the extremes: My old horse gives me around 20 secs per turn benchmark, and I would bring that down to 12 secs by investing around 1200 US$ (guts only) into a top of the line current beast (think I7 9900K selling at 500 US$ or more), good compat MoBo (say Asus Prime Z390 at 200$), DDR4 16 Gigs around 160$, a good SSD, PSU, etc...

Is that worth it for 8 seconds per turn? Meh... better put the money on a new graphic card, RX 580 are selling well now...

Oh I wasn't very clear, I want to build a new computer. My motherboard is near 10 years old and too old to do anything with. It's having issues as well, I have to unplug my mouse and keyboard for it to boot up. :)

it's been 5 years since I built one (me ex's, actually she built it as I gave her instructions how to do it), so I'm rusty on new stuff that's came out. Mine was built by me almost 10 years ago. I'll probably just see what has good reviews on newegg, that's how I usually do it.

Then you'll probably be fine with a i5-9600K and a z370 motherboard, something like 16 GB RAM in the 3000MHz range. Though, if you've waited for so long, AMD's next gen will be released around summer. 7nm process and 8 cores in the mainstream models, apparently.

Then you'll probably be fine with a i5-9600K and a z370 motherboard
If you're buying new and going for a 9th gen intel chip then you'd need to get a Z390 mobo in order to be compatible out-of-box. Z370's will work after flashing the BIOS, but iirc you still need an 8th gen chip installed first to do that.

yeah I went with the Z390 and I9-9900. A fair amount of cash. Maybe a bit overkill? I'm not sure, but at least it will be viable for a while. I'm a little worried my hard drives won't have the cables included, so hopefully I have everything I need. And the shipping is a little long since I went with standard shipping, so hopefully I can get it up and running by the 14th. There's the possibility I won't be able to if I don't have all the necessary cables included with the stuff I bought. And reading the negative reviews you never know if stuff will be DOA.

yeah I went with the Z390 and I9-9900. A fair amount of cash. Maybe a bit overkill? I'm not sure, but at least it will be viable for a while. I'm a little worried my hard drives won't have the cables included, so hopefully I have everything I need. And the shipping is a little long since I went with standard shipping, so hopefully I can get it up and running by the 14th. There's the possibility I won't be able to if I don't have all the necessary cables included with the stuff I bought. And reading the negative reviews you never know if stuff will be DOA.

With that monster, your bottleneck will be the GPU (not that you will notice it) unless you paid the thousands needed to get one of the high end cards consistent with your 390-9900K... also, with that monster of a mobo-CPU, why didn't you go M2? No cables, lightning fast if NVMe (which that mobo supports).

Yeah I can definitely see my GPU being the bottleneck. I bought a new one of course (my current one is a gtx970), but not a top of the line one (but a pretty good one). As for M2, I shamefully admit I was not familiar with that. So I looked it up. Yeah that was my ignorance not realizing what M2 does and that my new motherboard is capable of that. It might be something I do in the future with my SSD. I'm not sure what kind of bottleneck that will be, and honestly I'm not that worried about it since I'm still using a magnetic disk (10,000 rpm) so it will feel fast to me regardless.

It's been 5 years since I built a computer, and that was a fairly average one for my GF. It's been almost 10 years since I built my current one. I get so long of use out of my computers I often fall behind on new technology.

Yeah, back when I got my compy (a few years back) I skimped on the videocard and shoveled that money into the processor instead, expecting to upgrade that at some point whenever I got the money. I don't think it was a mistake because it's still working just fine (4790k). I'm pretty sure the turn times are almost entirely on processor speed

Yeah I can definitely see my GPU being the bottleneck. I bought a new one of course (my current one is a gtx970), but not a top of the line one (but a pretty good one). As for M2, I shamefully admit I was not familiar with that. So I looked it up. Yeah that was my ignorance not realizing what M2 does and that my new motherboard is capable of that. It might be something I do in the future with my SSD. I'm not sure what kind of bottleneck that will be, and honestly I'm not that worried about it since I'm still using a magnetic disk (10,000 rpm) so it will feel fast to me regardless.

It's been 5 years since I built a computer, and that was a fairly average one for my GF. It's been almost 10 years since I built my current one. I get so long of use out of my computers I often fall behind on new technology.

Curious now, I second Laura... do you have a parts list ? (PCPartPicker is excellent for this kind of things https://pcpartpicker.com/ )

What Mobo? (Asus, etc) What GPU? What RAM? What cooler (9900 are rumored running hot)? etc

Yeah, back when I got my compy (a few years back) I skimped on the videocard and shoveled that money into the processor instead, expecting to upgrade that at some point whenever I got the money. I don't think it was a mistake because it's still working just fine (4790k). I'm pretty sure the turn times are almost entirely on processor speed

Yeap, and I was wrong in my statement above about turn times... I "only" have the 4790 (no K no overclocking) and my turn times benchmark is 16 secs... I don't need more than that. Your K should be slightly better if you overclock... do you? I also diverted money from the GPU to the CPU at that time, still got the venerable GTX 760 which still holds its ground but is starting to show age... still runs Civ 6 great though.

What GPU do you have?

Top Bottom