1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bouncing Rubber Ball

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Captain_Jack, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain

I play an old Civ3 COTM on a dusty computer and was at the Regent level with impending hostility at my borders. I would soon have Replacable Parts and was flush with cash, so I planned on a mass upgrade to infantry and felt secure. When I finally was able to build infantry... NO RUBBER. Nowhere on the map at all! So I started laying plans to defend somehow else and then my computer ran out of power without saving the game.

When I rebooted and got back to the point were I discovered Replacable Parts there was one rubber on the continent, and in my territory. I didn't know the map was so fluid and I presumed the resources and luxuries were set in stone. Does anyone know about this?

2. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Warlord

I think it's Ctrl+Shift+M that will show you the whole map without cities or improvements so you can determine the location of the resources you can see (i.e., rubber when you have RP). I have often found that a "missing" resource is found under an AI city - and, of course, if there is only one, this means war...

Spoonwood and tjs282 like this.
  3. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    In the epic game, all Luxury (and Bonus) resource-locations are set in stone.

Conversely, 6/8 of the Strategic resources may get "exhausted" (= relocated) semi-randomly, subject to the availability of suitable terrain-tiles; e.g. Oil appears in Tundra, Marsh or Desert; so if you have few/no Desert or Tundra-tiles within your borders, and you drain all your Marshes, you have effectively lowered your chance of acquiring a respawned Oil-resource.

However, Horses and Rubber are the 2 exceptions to the above rule: their 'disappearance probability' is set to zero in the .biq, so once found, they will never be lost (this is another — albeit mior — reason why during the early game I prefer to find/secure Horses, over Iron).

So if there was Rubber in the post-crash reload, but (apparently) not in the pre-crash game, there are only 2 possibilities that I can think of:
    EITHER
    There was also Rubber in your territory pre-crash as well, but you just didn't notice it. For example, if the Rubber-tile had no road on it on your first playthrough (either because it had never been built, or because an enemy unit had pillaged it), then it would not have been available/visible in your towns (preventing you from upgrading); but on the second playthrough, if that particular tile was (still) roaded, then Rubber would be available for upgrades.
    OR
    Since this is a COTM save (which may well have been modded), it's possible that the COTM-designer had used the Editor to assign a non-zero disappearance probability to Rubber, in the .biq used to generate the COTM 4000 BC start. So when you reloaded from a previous save, by the time you'd got to RepParts again on the second playthrough, a Rubber-resource had been exhausted elsewhere, and re-spawned in your territory.

A further possible wrinkle to that second hypothetical, is that if any 4000 BC start is generated with the 'Preserve random seed' map-generation option turned OFF, reloading can also produce different (randomly-generated) outcomes from identical move-sequences. i.e. if you reloaded again, you might not get the Rubber (re)spawning this time round.
    Would also mention that Ctrl+Shift+N allows you to customise that 'Clean map' view.

Since Rivers are often obscured by the various terrain-overlays (e.g. Forests, Jungles, Hills, Mountains) I find this function especially useful when trying to determine whether a prospective town-site on such a tile, will also be on a River (i.e. it won't need a Duct to grow past Pop6) — or when my unit's current attack-direction will (also) provide an AI-defender with the +25% River-defence bonus.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Spoonwood and WeirdoJoker like this.
  4. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Warlord

Wow, that is awesome. Just checked it out ... no time to play with it for the moment. I'll have to use this when I get back to my game (I still haven't finished my Mongols game yet ... took a break to play something else, and work got piled on...).