1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bounty Hunter Promotion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by JFSebastian, May 30, 2009.

?

How often do you use the Bounty Hunter promotion?

1. I often use the promotion, it works fine as is.

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. I occasionally use the promotion in unique circumstances and its payed off.

24 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. I occasionally use the promotion, but its never had much impact on my games.

36 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. I never use the promotion, but might if it was tweaked.

31 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. I never use the promotion, it should be removed from the game.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Thonnas

Thonnas Chieftain

Needs hidden nationality switch.

2. Breez

Breez Chieftain

I use it on my early units that end up sticking around a while. I have had games that the income from my bounty hunter was all that kept me from having units abandon my cause due to lack of funds.

The changes you propose would simply make it easier too put on MORE units, which would make it very over powered. If you could start making near 100gold/turn that would be sick. Currently, it being a "niche" skill only one or two units tend to get it for me but that is enough to make a huge difference.

Okay in my current game I am making 900 gold a turn and have 20k banked. At this point gold in general doesn't matter to me. but that is hardly a fair evaluation

3. ExMachina

ExMachina Chieftain

Having the promotion return gold corresponding to the strength of the defeated unit would be an excellent change in my opinion. This would allow the benefit to scale as gold becomes more commonplace and less valuable in the endgame, and it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

4. PapaMonkey

PapaMonkey Chieftain

I agree that the return in gold should scale with the defense or experience of the defeated unit. It makes sense and scales the promotion to better fit through the entire game.

5. cvlowe

cvlowe Chieftain

I really enjoy this promotion on powerful units like brigit. I made 190 gold from her one turn when the AI just kept sending warrior after warrior after warrior. It can come in useful on the stooges also- they tend to have stacks thrown at them often.

6. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

The promo as it works now seems to me more like they are looting equipment from defeated foes. It doesn't feel like "bounty hunting". Bounty Hunter ought to give a bonus vs. heroes, and/or a bonus vs. experienced units, but make the unit go out of control (like enraged) as the bounty hunter follows their own agenda. Or they should have different attack priorities, more likely to find a way to hit "individuals" ... I am dragging this away from topic though, now my brain has made me think assassins ought to be able to hit key unit leaders causing a loss of XP.

7. Brokenbone

Brokenbone Chieftain

As is, it's useful for the early game if you somehow end up just scraping by in economic terms.

I do like the notion of somehow having "better yield" based on "better targets." Whether this means high levels, higher tech tier, possessing certain promotions (like if someone has "Hero", they're worth 50gp, or if they possess "Channelling III", they're worth 100gp) or some other way of measuring better targets, I can't say.

I guess over to the modmod community with this one, with care that some of the more interesting twists and systems don't get abused. Like if you end up bounty hunting "high XP workers" in FF, or gift high XP low hammers punching bags (maybe disciples or guild representatives?) to neighbours in Orbis, just so your HN bounty hunter can pick them off 5 seconds later. Alternately, especially with "masterwork" type equipment in FF, maybe a bounty hunter promo taking into consideration the value of things like "quality steel weapons" or "climbing gear" or other weird stuff could also take place (i.e., un-droppable gear, but it is worth something, isn't it?)

8. zup

zup Chieftain

Master equipment in FF already makes bounty hunter less marginal. Because they make your units less reliant on xp.

9. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

The way I see it, the 2gp is good, but it should get bonuses for the units killed.
    So +1gp for Chaneling II, another +2gp for Chaneling 3, +3gp for Hero or non hero unique units and +1gp for each unit level past lvl6.

10. xxHammerxx

xxHammerxx rage monkey

I say add +1 first strike to the promotion in order to make it more choosable. Afterall, commando has this perk and its much more useful as a standalone without the fs.