Bowsling 1: Russia

New Additions

Spoiler :

We have both Armies and 5 Cossacks on the hill NW of Bergen. We have 6 artillery across the bay 1NE of Aarhus to bombard the city before we attack. Looks to be pretty easy.

We have had no land based counterattacks from the Vikings. Beserks from ships, yes, but no Viking unit has come forth to challenge us.

We have two settlers over here also. They are near Stockholm. Before we take Trondheim we should try to get one of them in place to build a Silk City before we attack the Viking capital. Once that culture center is gone, Portugal's borders may expand enough to claim the Silk 1N-1NE of Trondheim.

Trondheim has a harbor and I hope that survives our attack. Rubber is under Stockholm, one is adjacent to Bergen, as is Saltpeter and another source of Spices. However, neither Stockholm or Aarhus have harbors, so the natural bounty does us little good.

Random Stuff
I played 11 turns, to end at 1300 AD.

We built Hoover Dam.

We learned Combustion.

We made peace with Portugal.

We captured Hareid, Stockholm and Aarhus from the Vikings.

We lost Borneo in a Viking raid.

Rio Janerio was abandoned and replaced.

Jungles in the homeland are all gone.

We built another Army with our second MGL.

We have another MGL parked next to Moscow.

Wall Street completes this IBT in The Commune.

Options for the MGL: another Army, Heroic Epic, Military Academy or Intelligence Agency.

We need Oil to build Transports. Transports became available with Combustion. Oil is revealed with Refining. And we have no Oil. Nor is any nearby. So we are stuck with wooden ships for a while. Until someone else learns Refining.

Persia, Arabia and Egypt have workers to sell. Persia and Arabia want 112~113 gold for theirs. We can get two slaves from Egypt if we give them peace.

While there is a lot of warring go on and we do control several sources of Rubber, I don't think we can achieve a Domination victory. Spaceship is looking better and better.

3130 Gold, +13 gpt
30% tax
40% science
30% luxury
Mass Production in 2.

Military
  • 05 Settler
  • 53 Workers
  • 28 Slaves
  • 04 Archer
  • 04 Spears
  • 04 Swords
  • 05 Pikes
  • 01 Rifleman
  • 16 Infantry
  • 04 Catapult
  • 01 Catapult (captured)
  • 04 Cannon
  • 10 Artillery
  • 02 Frigate
  • 08 Galleon
  • 02 Army
  • 20 Cossack
  • 11 Maces
  • 02 Trebuchets
    • 085 Allowed units
    • 156 Current units
    • 142 gpt unit support
One leader: Stalin.

Good job, CB. I would use Stalin as Army #3 so we can build the Pentagon. The Commune is going to need a hospital so we can grow it beyond pop 12 to get to 80spt. That way with the Military Academy it can crank out an army every 5 turns.

Bad news on the lack of oil, but that's the way it is. That said, we could do amphib warfare once we get the last of the industrial techs plus fission and build marine armies. But I agree that without a long term supply, domination is looking less likely. Once we get to the modern age, hopefully we have uranium so we can build nuke boats and give us one effective naval weapon.

We'll also want to address a UN prebuild at some point.

1- ThinkTank <On sabatical>
2- M60A3TTS <Waiting>
3- Bowsling <Waiting>
4- CommandoBob <Just Played>
5- Sparthage <Up!>

Daftpanzer <MIA>
Northen Wolf <MIA>

Well played. I think we are going to have to but oil from the Hittites, until we can obtain it. Personally, I still want to go for a domination victory, but I guess we can do with spaceship.

We will first have to get peace with the Hittites. Then if just one civ signs a trade embargo with them against us, we wouldn't have access to any spares. And that's even if they even have any available. There is a lot of competition for what few oil sources there are. Add to that the fact that the Hittites are uber-agressive meaning the chance of them jumping into a conflict against us will always be high and not guarantee we would get the full 20-turn deal. And it will be an expensive deal. If one was available, we should talk about any specific first. No monopoly techs for them.

We'll have peace with the Hittites when they are dead. Before the handoff I asked what they wanted for peace. Refining. We give them Refining for straight peace. No way.

More Random Handoff Stuff 'Coz I Ran Out of Time Earlier
:eek:
I didn't think about the Pentagon earlier, or I would have built a third Army. I just saw that we had several Small Wonders that an MGL could rush. Creating a third Army and building the Pentagon in The Commune (where else?), which leads to 4 unit Armies is much better than rushing anything else at the moment.

With the Vikings being gassed, their Asian core is pretty much ours for the taking. Their island empire will continue to raid, so we need Beserk-defeating defenders in our island cities, too. Several times I considered rushing the Rifle in one island place, but the Viking AI just ignored it, so I never did.

We have a settler, Cossack and artillery near Hareid for potential raze/resettle. We can also build another city on that island, and maybe we should, if we give it enough strength to recapture Haried in case it does flip. I just hated giving up the harbor in Haried. Once the worker (Scandanavia) competes in a few turns, the flip risk will go down and may not be an issue.

Évoria needs four non-artillery-type military units (includes ships) to keep the flip risk at 0%.

We currently have one Galleon that sails from North Cape to Astrakhan' and another that sails from Astrakhan' to North Cape each turn. We can move 4 units from the homeland to Indonesia per turn. The last few turns we have been sending less than that.

From Indonesia to Asia it is not so pretty. We do not have a city to sail into, so the Galleons must spend a turn at sea. That leaves them prey to AI attacks. Plus, any units that land in Asia are useless until the next turn. We may want to build a city between Stockholm and Évoria to protect our Galleons. We need a harbor in that city to take advantage of the Rubbers in Asia and also to let us build rails in Asia.

We should raze Stockholm and build a city on the hill 1S of Stockholm. We have settlers in Asia that could do that next turn (IIRC). It is something I should have done. We have 5 settlers running around now, so it was doable. I was too focused on warfare to reflect on logistics. When we do that we'll lose cultural control of the chokepoint between Stockholm and Aarhus, but if we place an Infantry on that tile it will not be a problem.

I did not rebuild Borneo because it seemed like a waste of a settler. Borneo did little for us.

Once the Viking mainland is ours, which could happen this next turnset, what do we do next? An ROP and MA with Portugal vs. Hittites might do us some good. I do not see Portugal trying to send units into the homeland to scout around; that would involve their navy. Portugal has many enemies at the moment and would probably welcome an ally. We could perhaps get our own source of Oil, too.

Even for a Spaceship VC, we need more territory to ensure that we get Aluminum and Uranium to build the various parts of the USS Bowsling01. We can trade for them, but I would rather have our own sources.

Our Ottoman trade for Saltpeter ends in 5 turns, so we need a harbor somewhere in Asia in the next three turns. Bergen has Saltpeter and it should fall next turn.

Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Unfortunately, I won't have any time soon to play this so I have to ask for a skip.

IBT- switch builds around to get the small wonders going.

1305AD- form 3rd army. At Bergen, kill 2 rifle draftees and a regular rifle. Bergen falls.
Spend 208 gold for embassy with Greece. 6 rifles in the capital, they have 1 oil, no rubber.
88 gold for embassy with Ottomans, got a rifle and a couple spears in the capital. No oil or rubber. Building Sipahi.

IBT- Greece and Spain ally vs Persia
Sumeria and Greece ally vs. Persia.
MP> flight in 8.
The Commune: Mil Academy- hospital

1310AD- Lose a couple Cossacks, but eliminate 2 rifles and a zerk, Reykjavik taken.
Aarhus razed and replaced.
Sell Arabia banking for WM, 1gpt, 58g, Arab worker.

IBT- Quiet

1315AD- Move up a couple replacement settlers.

IBT- Heroic Epic finishes in Novgorod.

1320AD- Reykjavik and Bergen razed and replaced.

IBT- Rome declares on Greece. Sparthage riots. Lose salt supply.

1325AD- Hospital completed in The Commune. Merge 3 workers into it for pop 15. It now does 88 spt. Do temple. Move armies within striking distance of Trondheim.

IBT- Vikings and Arabs ally against us. Hittites declare on Ottomans. Commune: temple>cathedral. India establishes embassy. Bonn riots.

1330AD- Artillery hits Tronheim and the Cossack armies go in. Rifle defenders killed, the city is ours with The Pyramids. Rearrange tiles and merge another worker at The Commune, now 92 spt.

IBT- Hittites ally Rome against us. Vikes declare on India. Moscow completes Wall Street and starts commercial dock.

1335AD- St. Pete finishes harbor which provides The Commune with more tiles.

IBT- Japan declares on Greece. Pollution hits The Commune.

1340AD- Clean up pollution and another worker merge puts The Commune at the coveted 100 spt category. Set to infantry to line up 4-turn army pre-build with the UN if we get fission.

IBT- flight> MT in 5. Magadan completes the Pentagon.

1345AD- Copenhagen pounded with artillery and Cossack army cleans out 3 rifles. The city falls.

IBT- The Commune: infantry-army

1350AD- Found Yaroslavl’. Kill a Hittite infantry. Pull back from Copenhagen.

Stop here.

Post turn- Pretty simple here. We hit the Modern Age in 4. If we get fission, switch army build in The Commune to the United Nations. If we don't, let the army finish. It's quite possible we will get pollution in the Commune to knock us off the 100 spt rate at any time, but we have the workers available to clean it up.

If we don't get fission, head for that tech next. We can build the UN and see if a diplo win is possible.

The advance on the mainland has stalled out for one basic reason, I prioritized infantry on our homeland coastal cities. We should ideally have a couple per coastal city to guard against marine attack. But do what you want, just be careful not to lose much or we will get hit by WW.

Bowsling up.

Attachments

• Bowsling_1, 1350 AD.SAV
    804.6 KB · Views: 83
Seasons Greetings & Happy New Year everyone!

Sorry I've kept everybody in the dark. I've played six turns, entered the modern times, got rocketry as a free tech, started fission, finished the Intelligence Agency and an Army, razed and replaced Stavenger, and got two luxuries and a whole load of gold from India for Combustion (and recaptured Trondheim twice, from different civs each time.)

Sorry about the delay. It's one turn eight. This is last time that I'm making the SG on a map bigger than Firaxis huge. I can't stand how long the turns take.

Log:
Spoiler :
Turn 0:
GalleonE ships two infantry and a settler from North Cape to Astarkhan'
Said units are railed to Evora
GalleonC picks up said units and ends it's turn in Yaroslavl'
IBT:
Scandinvian cavalry captures undefended Copenhagen
India offers Communism for Combustion, I laugh at them
Dutch and Maya sign MA vs. us, Maya DoW on us
France DoWs Portugal
India DoWs Portugal
China DoWs Greece
We lose our supply of wines and horses
Turn 1:
Moscow Commercial Dock>Airport
GermanTown Infantry>Infantry
Novosibirsk Infantry>Factory
Cossack for some reason destroys Scandinavian cavalry and captures Copenhagen without a battle
Unload 2 Artillery, 3 Infantry, a Settler and a cossack outside Stavanger
IBT:
Ottomans DoW Aztecs, Chinese, Persia
Persian destroy Arabia
China fails to plant spy!
Turn 2:
Magadan University>Infantry
Vladimir Galleon>Harbor
Recieve Wines, Dyes, 104 GPT, 1356 Lump Sum Gold, WM for Combustion
Battle of Stavenger:
Artillery hits Rifleman (3/4)
Artillery misses
Cossack retreats from Rifleman (3/3)
Defending Rifleman (3/4) destroys infantry
Attacking Infantry (4/4) destroys Rifleman
Defending Rifleman (1/4) destroys infantry
Stavenger holds out for this turn
IBT:
Portugal beats us to Oslo
India DoWs China
Turn 3:
Pollution strikes Moscow
St.Petersburg Cossack>Commercial Dock
Abastan Infantry>Bank
Haried worker>temple
Khabarovsk Infantry>Factory
3 Infantry and a coassack arrive to reinforce attack on Stavenger
Artillery hits Rifleman (2/4)
Artillery hits Rifleman (2/4)
Sign Right of Passage with Portugal
IBT:
Persia Captures Oslo
Sumeria demands rubber, I refuse, Sumeria DoWs
Portugal DoWs Greece
Egypt DoWs India
Hittites and Portugal sign MA vs. us
Hittites capture Trondheim
Turn 4:
Enter Modern Times
Recieve Rocketry as free tech
Research Motorized Transportation>Fission
Nessos University>Aqueduct
TC Army>Army
Yakutsk Artillery>Factory
At Stavenger:
Attacking Cossack retreats from Rifleman (2/4)
Attacking Infantry is destroyed by Rifleman (2/5)
Attacking Infantry is destroyed by Rifleman (2/5)
Attacking Infantry (2/4) destroys rifleman
Attacking Infantry is destroyed by Rifleman (1/5)
Attacking Cossack (1/4) destroys rifleman
Stavenger captured
Stavenger abandoned
Yekaterinburg founded in Stavenger's place
Yekaterinburg Nothing>Galleon
Russian Cossack (3/4) destroys Hittite cavalry
Trondheim captured
IBT:
Sign peace treaty with France
China lands longbowman outside Vladimir
Turn 5:
Moscow Airport>TOW Infantry
Konigsberg University>TOW Infantry
Municstan Infantry>Factory
Vladivostok Infantry>Bank
Daftpanzyrastan Galleon>Artillery
Magadan Infantry>TOW Infantry
Tobol'sk Library>Galleon
Artillery bombards Hittite Infantry (3/4)
Cossack (4/4) destroys Chinese Longbowman
Sumeria destroys Rome
Cossack (2/4) kills Portugeuse infantry
Cossack (2/4) killed by Hittite Infantry (4/4)
Turn 6:
Novgorod Intelligence Agency>Commercial Dock
Colognestan Library>Artillery
NSM Factory>Barracks
Give Hittites 140 Gold for peace
Make peace with Egypt for Pithom, Busiris, Athribis, and Buto
IBT:
Portugal lands single infantry outside Birka
Turn 7:
Orenburg Artillery>Barracks
Ivan the Terrible (15/17) destroys infantry
IBT:
Nothing
Turn 8:
Moscow TOW>TOW
Magadan TOW>Infantry
NSM rax>TOW

Attachments

• Catherine of the Russians, 1390 AD.SAV
    792.6 KB · Views: 97
CB, you are up if you care to take it. If you put science to 70% and switch The Commune to a palace pre-build, we will have the United Nations there in 7. Between now and then you could start buttering up some of the other AIs so they would vote for us in an election. So the game could be over in less than 10 turns, if we want to try it.

I've downloaded the save but haven't had a chance to open it.

Heading for the UN.

I'll try to conjure up some friends.

How likely is it that no one gets elected World Leader?

The people want pictures, or we will riot.;)

I've downloaded the save but haven't had a chance to open it.

Heading for the UN.

I'll try to conjure up some friends.

How likely is it that no one gets elected World Leader?

It's a definite possibility, and under certain circumstances it's even possible to lose to a rival. Some civs will be polite and not vote for us. Getting them in an alliance against a rival who might also be a contender for the WL gives us the best chance of getting elected.

lurker's comment: Space sounds like a more definite victory

Top Bottom