1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Boy Scouts of America to vote to end ban on gay scouts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Sure sure. But then again love God and love your neighbor and the Golden Rule are pretty vague. Attempting to keep true to those which are spelled out in neon as the most important bits occasionally garners accusations of "casual" from people who want to trot out other random parts.

2. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I would absolutely love to discuss "buffet religion," but I've found that 95% of people on here hate me when I do.

3. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Not if you place your trust in Jesus.
    Well we are talking about the Boy Scouts who were founded on Christian principles, and since that is what we are talking about, then we are talking about a former Christian organisation.
    Not everyone is American, so you will need to explain that one, what you said in the brackets.

The most important thing about being a Christian is being in a relationship with Jesus Christ. We are called Christians because we are "little Christs" due to the fact that when the early believers we looked upon by unbelievers, they saw what they heard about Jesus the one they called Christ, so as a result they were called Christians. So if someone says they are a Christian and goes against the teachings of Christ, then they aren't following Christ and thus they shouldn't call themselves Christian. It is a betrayal of the term.

@AlpsStranger, that would be a good topic to discuss.

4. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

The BSA isn't a Christian organization though, and hasn't been for decades. It has a lot of Christian patrons, but is explicitly non-denominational, and includes elaborate programs for Muslim, Hindu and Jewish members.

Appeals to scripture should have any part in the BSA decision making process. It isn't a church.

5. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

It was founded on Christian principles.

6. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

7. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Lots of thing were founded on Christian principles. I wonder what Lord Baden-Powell would have to say about all this.

8. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

He would suggest cold showers.

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

"Who the f#%$ let the Jews in(interrobang)"

10. ace99

ace99 Deity

I don't think he would have accepted interrobangs either.

Go figure.

11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

ace99, you complete me

12. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I see what u did there.

13. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

"Vague"? Is "pervasive" the word you meant to reach for?

Yep. Too bad there isn't total agreement on which bits are in neon, what color the neon is, and just how brightly it shines relative to all the other signs.

And lets not even get started on fundamentalists: "These are the bits I was told are neon. End of discussion."

In short, and all IIRC: Someone in Alabama studying law pointed out that a progressive tax policy is "WJWD". ("Pointed out" here being wrote a paper, or gave a speech or something like that.) It caused some short-term consternation among Republicans - it persuaded the Governor - until, so far as I can tell, the whole thing disappeared down the memory hole.

The phrase "Let him cast a stone at her." comes to mind.

There's significant variation in what people consider the necessary-and-sufficient "bits" of the teaching to follow and how consistently they follow them (the neon) and (back to my metaphor now) the four vegetables.

Where (of course "IMO") many deeply religious people fail to be humble - let alone reasonable - is the degree of certainty they assign to the idea that their personal beliefs are the true faith. There's nothing wrong with having deep religious beliefs. There's nothing wrong with thinking they're completely and utterly true. Problems come in, however, when people forget that they might be wrong, and no one outside their sect has any reason to treat their position as privileged.

Probably not completely... but once you start flinging around absolute statements, or legislating, even small mis-steps can be very problematical.

As a general comment: IMO many people put way too much emphasis on professing to follow the proper teachings vs. actually doing so: If you go to the right place of worship every proper day of the week you're given a *heck* of a lot of leeway in what you do the rest of the week.

14. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Someone in Alabama is an idiot, and is forgetting that Jesus said "No jot or tittle of the law shall pass away..." That includes the eighth commandment (Ninth for you Catholics.)" That also includes the fact that Samuel declared Saul a tyrant for trying to take ten percent of anyone's income. But hey, let's forget what the Bible says!

15. ace99

ace99 Deity

Its too bad we can't interrobang.

16. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

You are rapidly establishing yourself as one of my top 5 favorite posters.

17. Arakhor

You know what, the only places where Christianity should be required for the Scout Organisation (if at all) is one of those horribly repressive places with a state faith. Otherwise, since there is only one God and Scouts promise to do their duty to God, it shouldn't really matter whether you're reading from the Bible, the Qu'ran or what-have-you. Right?

Warning - parts of this post may not be entirely sincere!

18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

1/10th from people who were basically poor farmers. Anyway, who cares what Samuel says? The guy ordered the murder of babies and pregnant women.

Finally, 1/5th is more than 1/10th

19. Arakhor

But you're reading that wrongly! If you're not playing Twister with each Bible passage, the interpretation is wrong!

20. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Sure sure, the greedy or selfish or morons who are Christians are greedy or selfish or morons like everyone else. People are charming that way. I guess it does make them convenient targets if they are both loud and annoying and too dumb to realize they are working cross purpose to the whole love thing. You'd think a guide for conduct in life and how to not be a d-bag would be easy! Politics certainly seem to be. Sports teams never have issues, they have pretty bright line rules. You know, all that. :sleep:

Edit: No real problem at all with the content of your edit. In fact, I think it's pretty darn good. Doubt, at least I think, is a central part of a "healthy" faith. Doubt in correctness, doubt in our virtue, doubt in our actions - this is the bastion of curiosity and growth. A religious person with no doubt, none at all, is an ideologue of worst sort.