• Yes. I made it to Star.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Yes. I made it to Life.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. And I made it all the way to Eagle! [party]

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • No. I'm female!

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other, Giant Radioactive Monkey, I like pie!

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Siegmund
I wasn't a member, because in the area I grew up (eastern Idaho) it was a 100% Mormon youth group operation, meeting in stake centers, run by the local congregation leaders, etc, and I wasn't Mormon.

Had it been run without the heavy overdose of religion, I would have loved to take part in the outdoor activities and the learning. I understand in other parts of the country it is run more palatably.

In Utah and South East Idaho that's the boyscouts for you. Mormons are very much into Boy Scouts they run the whole program in Utah and much of Idaho. Utah has the largest Boy Scout program in the nation. It was okay for me as a child because I was mormon but I always felt bad for my friend Dave, he was the non-mormon and thus he was always somewhat of an outsider.

I myself hated Boy Scouts with a passion. Boy Scouts for young mormon boys isn't really an option you do it no questions asked. I hated the whole thing, sure there were a few fun times but over-all it was a bad experience. I somehow made it to second class although I never really tried to earn anything. Any time in my youth that I was forced to hang out with a bunch of guys was often uncomfortable for me considering I was always the femmy one.

Although I hate the Boy Scouts personally I think they should have the right to discriminate. They are a private orignazation so hey if they only want God-Fearing Str8 boys that's there right.

Eagle Scout would be the same as Queen's Scout in the proper organisation. Was more into the Duke of Edinburgh Award in my youth than the Scouts.

I became an Eagle Scout, learned many things while doing so and made some lifelong friends. The scouts also do many good things for their community(as posted by Double Barrel).

That said, I have difficulty with their policy of excluding boys who profess to be athiests or gay. I don't see any contradiction between the tenets of the organization and allowing gay or athiest boys to participate. As for leaders, no sexual abuse that I heard about was ever committed by anyone openly professing to be gay. Homosexuality and pedophilia are not related.

Many times I've heard criticism of uniforms and milatarism in the Boy Scouts. In the troop and district(?) I was in we didn't really wear uniforms much. We were usually just a bunch of dirty kids camping, hiking and doing kid things while learning knots, first aid, leadership and other useful things. The milatirism is in structure only.

Over all I believe the basic Boy Scout experience is a positive one but that the organization is now heading in the wrong direction.

Originally posted by WillJ
Actually, I don't think I could have gotten in anyway, because don't you have to be a Christian to be a Boy Scout?

Yes, you have to affirm your belief in a "God" of higher power. You don`t have to be any specific religion, but definitely Monotheistic...

nope its doesn't have to be Monotheistic you can get a reglious award for hinduism

nope its doesn't have to be Monotheistic you can get a reglious award for hinduism

Originally posted by John-LP

Yes, you have to affirm your belief in a "God" of higher power. You don`t have to be any specific religion, but definitely Monotheistic...

Actually, John, that is not quite true. I've known instances of openly Hindu and Buddhist kids that were part of BSA. I think their requirement has more to do with spirituality than anything.

What have heard the boy scouts seems like yet another of those religious cults....

Lucky for me I wouldn't be allowed to be a member, beeing both gay and atheist.

As an Eagle Scout myself, I can say it was a great thing for me. The Boy Scouts, at least in my region, definately are not racist, sexist, whatever.

The BSA actually removed the requirement that all scouts must profess religion several years ago. If atheists were kicked out since then, it was a local matter, not national policy.

Scouts basically tought me how to take care of myself. I went camping(and loved it). Went to Philmont in '96, one of the best experiences of my life. For those that don't know, it's a hiking camp in the mountains of New Mexico. Huge area of land, very remote, really proves to yourself what you can do. I'm definately a better person for it.

I was a member of the Boy Scouts in my youth and my son has been in the Boy Scouts from the first grade. I am currently an assistant Scoutmaster. There is nothing better for youth than the Boy Scouts.

There are several reasons for the ban on atheists and open gays in the scouts.
1) First, the scouts are based on Christian fundimentals. You don't have to be Christian but you do have to believe in a higher power. That does exclude those who are atheist. But if you are really atheist, why would you want to be part of the Scouts anyway? Do you really want to swear to do your duty to God and Country? Are you going to be reverant?
2) These boys do a lot of things together. They spend a lot of time away from their parents and the troops are supposed to be run by the boys and not the old folks. Someone who is gay or even exploring other avenues, has a lot of free hand in working on those who are still not set and confused by all the hormones running through them. Would you want your daughter to go on a camping trip in which she at 12 would have to share the intimacy of a two person tent with a 17 year old boy? I don't think so. I fact is that gay males find other males sexually attractive. When you go on a 1 or 2 week camping trip, that person is going to spend a lot of time with other children, children they will be attracted to and they might be overly tempted to take advantage of the situation. This policy for a private organization avoids those problems. Aslo, as stated above, the majority of folks in this private organization feel that homosexuallity is sinful. To allow them into the group is the same as condoing the behavior.

Why aren't all of you up in arms because the girl scouts won't allow male leaders to take the girls on overnight camping trips? Isn't that the same thing?

Originally posted by meldor

1) First, the scouts are based on Christian fundimentals. You don't have to be Christian but you do have to believe in a higher power. That does exclude those who are atheist. But if you are really atheist, why would you want to be part of the Scouts anyway? Do you really want to swear to do your duty to God and Country? Are you going to be reverant?
2) These boys do a lot of things together. They spend a lot of time away from their parents and the troops are supposed to be run by the boys and not the old folks. Someone who is gay or even exploring other avenues, has a lot of free hand in working on those who are still not set and confused by all the hormones running through them. Would you want your daughter to go on a camping trip in which she at 12 would have to share the intimacy of a two person tent with a 17 year old boy? I don't think so. I fact is that gay males find other males sexually attractive. When you go on a 1 or 2 week camping trip, that person is going to spend a lot of time with other children, children they will be attracted to and they might be overly tempted to take advantage of the situation. This policy for a private organization avoids those problems. Aslo, as stated above, the majority of folks in this private organization feel that homosexuallity is sinful. To allow them into the group is the same as condoing the behavior.

Why aren't all of you up in arms because the girl scouts won't allow male leaders to take the girls on overnight camping trips? Isn't that the same thing?
\

1) There's nothing in scouting which mentions Christ or Christianity. If other faiths are accepted why not athiesm? Would a satanist be accepted? Reverence is no problem for an athiest. He just would respect others faith and place of worship.

2) You're assuming that because a boy feels that he is homosexual that he's going to try to seduce and influence other scouts. There's really no basis in fact that this would be the case.
You're asserting that gays are all sexual predators. This also has no basis in fact. The scout should understand that no type of sexual activity is acceptable. Considering the prevalent attitude of teenage males towards homosexuality I would think he would get the crap kicked out of him if he made advances on another scout.

Please point me to where the BSA members are polled and they identified homosexuality as sinful.

Originally posted by SirJethro

True...so lets see, we know they discriminate on sex (BOY scouts)

That's like saying a dog orginization is discriminating against cat owners.

Originally posted by superunknown
When I was in Washington DC there was some kind of Boy Scout gathering. The city was swarming with boy scouts of every ilk and description. They were everywhere! All of the time.
If I ever see another boy scout.. :shotgun:

National Jubilee. Held every three years I think.

Originally posted by mes17
1) There's nothing in scouting which mentions Christ or Christianity. If other faiths are accepted why not athiesm? Would a satanist be accepted? Reverence is no problem for an athiest. He just would respect others faith and place of worship.
Let's see, believes in a higher power....that pretty much excludes atheist. The Scouts have nothing against Atheist, they just aren't welcome in an organization that stresses God and family. Why would an atheist want to jion an organization that at its very core holds believes and does practices that they don't belive in? That would be sill, they can start there own version or join one of the offshoots that allow the thing you like.

2) You're assuming that because a boy feels that he is homosexual that he's going to try to seduce and influence other scouts. There's really no basis in fact that this would be the case.
You're asserting that gays are all sexual predators. This also has no basis in fact. The scout should understand that no type of sexual activity is acceptable. Considering the prevalent attitude of teenage males towards homosexuality I would think he would get the crap kicked out of him if he made advances on another scout.
Wrong, I assume that boys that are attracted to girls, if left allone with them long enough are going to be attracted to them and try to get into their pants. I also assume that boys that are attracted to boys and are left alone with them are going to be attacked to them and try and get into there pants. It is not predation unless it one of the leaders involved and for the leaders refer to the post above about male leaders with girl scouts.

A lot of the boys in the group are at an age were they can be strongly influenced by a person they respect. There parent have a right to determine the types of people that they associate with. The Boy Scouts gives them a group that they can trust and even participate in that has strong moral values. It isn't for every one. Why try to force it to be. The Pentacostal Church runs a group exactly like the Boy Scout, they call they Royal Rangers. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to start the Gay Scouts or anything else go ahead. I wish you the best of luck. Just don't try and make me admit people into a private orginization that I don't want in.

Please point me to where the BSA members are polled and they identified homosexuality as sinful.
The jBoy Scouts is run by a national council that gets input from all of the local councils that are in themselves run by the parents and Leaders of the boys who are in Scouts or have been in Scouts. It is in the very tennets and fondation of scouting. You don't need to poll it. If you don't like it you either don't join or you quickly leave. The vast majority of those who are in the Scouts are Christian. They vast majority of Christains believe that homosexuallity is a sin or they don't believe the Bible (which wouldn't make them very good Christians). I don't wish anything bad on any one who feels they are homosexual, but the fact is that it isn't natural and it is a sin ( I know you all were waiting for that). That doesn't mean that I mean they any harm, or that I want them to be treated any differently by the law. But it doesn't mean I have to pack my son up and send them off for two weeks with a group of them. Its my choice. If you don't like it, again, start your own group.

Let's see, believes in a higher power....that pretty much excludes atheist.

Not really. Nature and Natural Selection could probably be called higher powers.

Money isn't a problem for being a scout... Go sell popcorn, cookies, and food stamps. The uniform and stuff is expensive if you haven't finished growing and you need to buy a new one, but my troop never cared if I came in uniform or not. Yes, the Boy Scouts is decentralized, so it's really luck of the draw how you fare.

Originally posted by CurtSibling
The Scouts are a good idea on paper, but dated.
The organisation, however, is ran by twsited people, IMHO.

I take exception to that. There are thousands of Troops in the USA that dont have "twisted people" running it.

I happen to be the adult leader of one that produces more Eagle Scouts than any other troop in our Council.

We go camping, work on advancements, do community service projects and try to teach our kids a little bit about giving back to the community, leadership and self reliance.

What is outdated about that?

A little more of those kind of values around the world would sure make it a better place to live in, IMHO.

Originally posted by CurtSibling
I agree,
Let's discredit them utterly!

What has this organisation actually achieved anyway?

Thousands of hours of Public service and many leaders in politics and business.

And just like any oither organization it has had problems. That is a minority that is of course hyped by the media. Stereo typing based on a minority of the organization is an unfair generalization IMHO.

And these are just the Eagle Scouts!

There are thousands more who never made Eagle but still became leaders of Government and Industry!

Originally posted by Double Barrel
BSA teaches common sense to urban youth that would otherwise have no idea. They teach survival skills, leadership and group cooperation dynamics, environmental conservation, respect, honesty & integrity, responsibility, civic duty and understanding of the various levels of government, among a large list of other well-used goal-oriented education subjects. They also do a massive amount of volunteer work for many underpriviledged people, including the elderly and handicapped.

A short list of famous Eagle Scouts:

Bill Alexander - U.S. Representative from Arkansas
Gary L. Ackerman - U.S. Representative from NY
Neil Armstrong - astronaut, first man on moon, from Wapakoneta, OH
Henry Aaron - Baseball player, home run king - the Mobile Press Register quoted Henry as saying that the greatest positive influence in his life was his involvement in scouting
Charles E. Bennett - U.S. Representative from Florida
William Bennett - Former Secretary of Education
Michael Bloomberg - Mayor of New York City, founder of Bloomberg News
Bill Bradley - Pro basketball star and U.S. Senator from NJ
James Brady - Former Press Secretary to President Reagan
Milton A. Caniff - Comic strip artist "Steve Canyon"
Barber B. Conable - President, World Bank
John W. Creighton, Jr. - President & CEO of Weyerhaeuser Company
William E. Dannemeyer - U.S. Representative from Cal.
William Devries - M.D., transplanted first artificial heart
Michael Dukakis - Former governor of Massachusetts
Arthur Eldred - First Eagle Scout
David Farabee - Texas State Representative
Gerald Ford - U.S. President (1st Eagle to be President
Steven Fossett - Tried several times to fly solo around the world in a hot air balloon and finally did it in 2002, won the Chicago to Mackinaw boat races, competed in the Iditarod dog race, and competed in several iron man triathelons, and among other things lives the Scouting mottos both Cub and Boy Scout by doing his best and being prepared
Steven W. Lindsey - Astronaut - He was the pilot for STS-95 when John Glen returned to space as a Senator. He made eagle in troop 161 in Temple City, California.
Gary Locke, Governor of the State of Washington, the first Chinese-American Governor in the contiguous United States, and selected as a Distinguished Eagle Scout by NESA
James Lovell - Navy pilot and astronaut, President of National Eagle Scout Association. Flew on Gemini 7, 12 & Apollo 8, 13 At one time had seen more sunrises than any other human being
Richard Lugar - Senator from Indiana (presidential canidate 1996)
J. Willard Marriott, Jr. - President, Marriott Corp.
CDR William McCool, USN - Astronaut, Pilot of U.S. Space Shuttle Columbia. BSA Press Release | NASA Bio
Sam Nunn - U.S. Senator from Georgia
Ellison Onizuka - Astronaut aboard the U.S. Space Shuttle Challenger
H. Ross Perot - Self-made billionaire and presidential candidate
Rick Perry - Governor, State of Texas
J. J. Pickle - U.S. Representative from Texas, proudly displays his Eagle plaque inside his office
Samuel R. Pierce - Former Sec. Housing & Urban Development
Donald Rumsfeld - Secretary of Defense
Harrison Salisbury - Pulitzer Prize winning author
Jeff Sessions - Junior Senator from Alabama is an Eagle Scout from the troop in Camden, AL.
William Sessions - Former FBI director
Sam Skinner - Secretary of Energy during the Bush administration and now CEO of Commonwealth Edison
Steven Spielberg - Movie producer, from Scottsdale, AZ, made a movie of his troop while getting Photography MB. Helped to design requirements for the cinematography MB.
Wallace Stegner - Writer and college professor, won Pulitzer Prize in 1972 for "Angle of Repose"
Percy Sutton - Attorney, Chairman of the Board of City Broadcasting Corp.
Sam Walton - Founder, Wal-Mart

The list goes on and on.

But, by all means, discredit the entire organization because they do not subscribe to your politically correct worldview.

Hitler Youth Corps? What a bunch of b.s. spoken in true ignorance.

So they don't let a few gays or atheists in their ranks. So what. With groups like NAMBLA roaming around (which is 100% homosexual, by the way), I would prefer keeping young boys away from perverted old men that would prey on them while away on camping trips. But I suppose I'm just "old-fashioned" and cannot seem to brainwash myself into the anything-goes ethos supported by so many "open-minded" folks like yourselves. :p

Let's see, believes in a higher power....that pretty much excludes atheist. The Scouts have nothing against Atheist, they just aren't welcome in an organization that stresses God and family. Why would an atheist want to jion an organization that at its very core holds believes and does practices that they don't belive in?

Only a small part of the tenets of scouting deal with religion. Perhaps you should exclude those who aren't sufficiently friendly or sufficiently cheerful. There's many aspects of scouting which might attract a non-believer. Reverant is only one part of the law.

Wrong, I assume that boys that are attracted to girls, if left allone with them long enough are going to be attracted to them and try to get into their pants. I also assume that boys that are attracted to boys and are left alone with them are going to be attacked to them and try and get into there pants.

A lot of the boys in the group are at an age were they can be strongly influenced by a person they respect. There parent have a right to determine the types of people that they associate with. The Boy Scouts gives them a group that they can trust and even participate in that has strong moral values. It isn't for every one. Why try to force it to be.

That would be sill, they can start there own version or join one of the offshoots that allow the thing you like.

In some instances a boy left alone with a girl may try to get into her pants. If they find them attractive and if you have failed in your teaching of "strong moral values". It's no different for a homosexual boy. If he learned "strong moral values" he won't be hitting on other boys because he knows that kind of conduct at scout functions is inappropriate. You don't seem to have much faith in the boys to say no to an unwanted advance. As I posted before, I think there's little chance a boy would make such an advance due to the reaction of the heterosexual members of the troop. With a boy and girl no such check exists.

In addition, if your so afraid of a 17 year old boy who professes to be gay(and that's the only way that your ban is effective) then don't put him in a tent with the 12 year old.

The scouts are supposed to be inclusive. The cover of the Boy Scout magazine, Boys Life, states it's "For All Boys".
Maybe they should change it to "For All Boys(except fags and heretics)".
The scout are supposed to be for everyone who wants to be one regardless of race, religion, nationality or economic background. Sexual orientation is no different.

The Pentacostal Church runs a group exactly like the Boy Scout, they call they Royal Rangers. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to start the Gay Scouts or anything else go ahead. I wish you the best of luck. Just don't try and make me admit people into a private orginization that I don't want in.

The Royal Rangers were begun as a church organization the Boy Scouts were not. They have no affiliation with any church and don't profess any faith. You're trying to turn the Boy Scouts into an arm of your religion.

The jBoy Scouts is run by a national council that gets input from all of the local councils that are in themselves run by the parents and Leaders of the boys who are in Scouts or have been in Scouts. It is in the very tennets and fondation of scouting. You don't need to poll it. If you don't like it you either don't join or you quickly leave. The vast majority of those who are in the Scouts are Christian. They vast majority of Christains believe that homosexuallity is a sin or they don't believe the Bible (which wouldn't make them very good Christians). I don't wish anything bad on any one who feels they are homosexual, but the fact is that it isn't natural and it is a sin ( I know you all were waiting for that). That doesn't mean that I mean they any harm, or that I want them to be treated any differently by the law. But it doesn't mean I have to pack my son up and send them off for two weeks with a group of them. Its my choice. If you don't like it, again, start your own group.

Wrong. The scouts are a public secular organization that profess no faith. I was in a troop with christians, jews, hindus and buddhists. You really have no basis for stating that most scouts believe that homesexuality is a sin. Most people in the U.S. do not believe that homosexuality is a sin. Assuming that scouting is a relative crosssection of the U.S. population then most scouts do not either. You also can't assume that because people check the "Christian" box when asked about relition that they agree with all facets of the religion. Without real evidence of scouts opinions your statment is baseless.

Now why don't you and your boys join or start a church group which excludes those heathen jews and muslims instead of being in one that professes inclusivity of religion. Would you quit the scouts if they decided to allow athiests?

The issues of homosexuality and athiesm were never an issue until the extremists decided to shout loudest in the organization. Just another example of narrow-minded people trying to force their unpopular views on others to the detriment of those the organization is supposed to be helping.

Top Bottom