Boycott Bee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigranes

Armenian
CNN’s Poppy Harlow returned to Bee, saying, “Way over the line. Comedian Samantha Bee going after Ivanka Trump using an extremely vulgar term. The C word. Incredibly offensive,” adding, “it’s never okay to say something like that about someone.”

It is especially disgusting when it is done during the prime time when children might be watching. :mad:

Look, I dislike Trump like the next guy. I am a (legal) immigrant myself. But people like Samantha Bee do not help the cause. Being a comedian does not give you license to degrade people. And I can't help but agree with Fox that unlike Roseanne there will be no cancellation of Full Frontal and no 7 days 24 hour coverage of this remark. Which, unlike tweet, you cannot even delete.

Samantha Bee deserves backlash and boycott :vomit:. TBS has to take her off the air. And then some. Replace her with someone who can actually help immigrants and their kids without using vulgarities, reaching for lowest of low and degrading another woman.

Criticizing anyone for any reason what-so-ever is evil and must be punished! PURSECUTE! KILL THE HERETIC! KILL! MAIM! BURN! EXTERMINATE! DECAFFINATE!

As has been said elsewhere, calling an individual a name, even a vulgar name, is not the equivalent of using a racial slur. The only person targeted by name-calling is the person being called names, so any 'offense on their behalf' that you may want to take up is a choice. A racial slur is directly offensive to millions of people.

As an aside, that's a terrifically effective 'lose your mind' word. If you ever want it on video-record that someone else took the first swing, that's a terrific access.

Maybe punting in public is ok if you're a professional punter? I dunno. Who is this person anyways? Is it somebody you have to google, or is it somebody I was apparently supposed to know about like the Kardaishian people with the butts or the British people with the me(n)tal hats?

Maybe punting in public is ok if you're a professional punter? I dunno. Who is this person anyways? Is it somebody you have to google, or is it somebody I was apparently supposed to know about like the Kardaishian people with the butts or the British people with the me(n)tal hats?

Beats me. I just responded to the OP, which suggests that she is a comedian and that she used a vulgarity to describe a Trump, apparently on television.

Tone policing.
How quaint.
The entire Trump clan should count itself damned lucky if their biggest concern is extremely vulgar words.

And this is how free speech loses ground... The left gets outraged about a joke and the right counters with outrage about a joke - both are outraged based on partisan politics. Just looks like hypocrisy to me.

I like Bee, I dont like Barr... Both should keep their shows.

And this is how free speech loses ground... The left gets outraged about a joke and the right counters with outrage about a joke - both are outraged based on partisan politics. Just looks like hypocrisy to me.

Does your commitment to making two disparate things "equally bad" have any limits?

As has been said elsewhere, calling an individual a name, even a vulgar name, is not the equivalent of using a racial slur. The only person targeted by name-calling is the person being called names, so any 'offense on their behalf' that you may want to take up is a choice. A racial slur is directly offensive to millions of people.

They aren't the same thing.

Ah yes, the joke of comparing black people to apes. Something the whole family can laugh about.

She didn't compare black people to apes and the outrage from the left would be more muted if Barr was a diehard Democrat. Bee's joke wasn't funny either, but she wasn't calling women names nor was Bill Maher comparing white people to orangutans.

Does your commitment to making two disparate things "equally bad" have any limits?

"Equally bad" is a straw man

They aren't the same thing.

They're insults... But its okay to insult people we dont like. I'm guilty too, I laughed when Bill Maher compared Trump to an orangutan. I didn't laugh at Barr's joke or Bee's... I'm sure my like or dislike of the victim is why.

I don't think the Samantha Bee discussion should be conflated with the Rosanne discussion

Why? Is it because -

I thought we had decided that if you're a member of the group the slur is targeted at, you're allowed to use it?

Or is it because calling somebody a punt isn't as much of an issue as it was a couple years ago? Or is it because she's a comedian? It has to be something. I'd get canned immediately if I called somebody that on the job, it's not acceptable. It helped swing a gubernatorial race ages ago in IL, and I didn't see any problem with that. I mean, I might not get canned if I posted it on the internet in my free time, but I wouldn't want to test it.

They're insults... But its okay to insult people we dont like. I'm guilty too, I laughed when Bill Maher compared Trump to an orangutan. I didn't laugh at Barr's joke or Bee's... I'm sure my like or dislike of the victim is why.

One is an insult targeting a single person. One is a racial slur targeting several million people. Saying they are both "insults" is erroneous. Saying it over and over will eventually become lying.

Can we please stop pretending that "the children" are a legitimate reason to be outraged over a bleeped expletive on a TV show? Kthx.

Roseanne got canned because her ratings declined and she has been consistently bad PR for ABC since the show first came back. If she hadn't been a constant headache with a long history of batty, racist tweets (or her show continued to put up massive ratings), they wouldn't have cancelled the show. Her tweets about VJ were merely the final straw.

Meanwhile, someone needs to be pointing out how vile each and every one of these Trump kids is. If someone else besides Sam Bee would get a gotdamned clue about it, she wouldn't have to use such vulgarity.

And you from the other thread:
What context? Guilt by association? Yes, a good reason to avoid comparing black people to apes. Barr was joking about VJ's resemblance to Kim Hunter's character in a movie - it was a joke about a person looking like an 'ape', so was Maher's joke about Trump. She's being accused of racism because racists compare(d) black people to apes. So why would a racist risk a lawsuit - and she was sued - by supporting Trayvon Martin? If you agree maybe Barr isn't a racist then her motive may not be racism, true?
what I said there also applies here:

Birdjaguar said:
Calling/associating black folks with apes is a long established slur used by white racists. It goes along with "jungle bunnies" etc. There was no indication that Barr was joking at all. That was just her post tweet defense. Combining both the ape remark with Muslim she was being doubly offensive by invoking two of Trump's supporters most red meat pejoratives.

Calling trump an orangutan is a recent phenomenon based solely on Trump's personal style. There is no history of slurring white people by calling them orangutans. Maher is a comedian/entertainer whose business it is to mock pompous celebrities he dislikes. It is no different than mocking Obama for his ears or Rush Limbaugh for being overweight.

The next questions is Samantha Bee's remark about Ivanka. She called her a "Feckless C....." for not taking her father to task for his immigration policy and posing in public photos as a loving mother holding her child. Should she lose her TV forum/show? Again this is a wholly different situation. Do you go after her for using bad words? For calling out the innocent daughter of a bad president? Was she just unnecessarily mean?

ABC cancelled Barr because they didn't want to be associated with her racism. They have every right to do so. Whoever controls Samanatha Bee's access has the same choice to make.

Murricans in their natural habitat I see.

Can we please stop pretending that "the children" are a legitimate reason to be outraged over a bleeped expletive on a TV show? Kthx.

Roseanne got canned because her ratings declined and she has been consistently bad PR for ABC since the show first came back. If she hadn't been a constant headache with a long history of batty, racist tweets (or her show continued to put up massive ratings), they wouldn't have cancelled the show. Her tweets about VJ were merely the final straw.

Meanwhile, someone needs to be pointing out how vile each and every one of these Trump kids is. If someone else besides Sam Bee would get a gotdamned clue about it, she wouldn't have to use such vulgarity.

Well, that's one way of parsing it. People of value do the excretable when they must, human pieces of excrement are simply what they are.

"Just like us, never" said everybody ever.

:lol:

“it’s never okay to say something like that about someone.”

Well that's not true, and makes for poor discussion.
ORLY?

No, it is never okay to call a woman the "c-word." Never. I'm no fan of Ivanka Trump; she's a hypocrite and just sooo cutesy in her posing with her father and Justin Trudeau in the Oval Office, but that said, I would not use that word about her.

I've been on the receiving end of that word, and it's not a word that inspires any positive reaction whatsoever. Instead it inspires intense dislike of the person using the word, and in my instance, it inspired additional disgust because of who said it.

Birdjaguar said:
For calling out the innocent daughter of a bad president?
Innocent... so she's stopped using outsourced sweatshop labor to manufacture her clothing line? It's all made in the U.S. now?

I have no respect for her hypocrisy, but would not cross the line that "comedian" did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom