[BTS] Bozhe, Tsarya Khrani! - The Line of Boris Godunov

Gruekiller

Back From The Beyond
Supporter
Hello again, fine Stories & Tales people! You know what this means! After a month and a half of dilly-dallying and general sloth, it's time for another Gruekiller AAR! I chose to play as the Russians in Lokolus' 1600 scenario, which places the Russians in a unique situation, ready to expand both west into Europe and east, across Siberia and towards America. A while back I opened up a silly little non-poll in which I allowed the S&T community to weigh in on the direction I should take this AAR. It was decided that I should maintain two primary goals:

A.) Establish for myself a colonial empire in America and the Pacific, particularly in Alaska and along the west coast of the US and Canada, and

B.) Conquer and Christianize the Ottoman Empire, and reinstate a 'Roman' monarch on the throne in Constantinople - essentially, a revival of the Byzantine Empire under Russian... 'protection'.
:shifty:

European Russia in 1600, during the reign of Boris Godunov

Thus is my starting situation - I have two cities past the Urals which are outside the scope of the screenshot, which will function as a sort of springboard for colonization into Siberia, as well as the conquest of the barbarian cities of Eurasia. I am at peace with all of my neighbors, with rather frosty relations with the Ottomans, neutral (at best) with Poland-Lithuania, and a slightly more cordial standing with the Swedes (I shan't bother myself with the Baltic in this campaign). I traded a couple of unimportant techs back and forth on turn zero, and now have open borders with Poland and (I think) Sweden.

I cheated just a tiny bit by making the territories I plan to colonize (gasp) actually hospitable to colonization. (Spoiler'd for big-ass pictures.)

Spoiler :

I enlarged Alaska very slightly in the northwest to more accurately represent it, as it actually looks on a map. Much of the useless ice terrain was turned into tundra, and some of the tundra was turned to plains and grassland. A few food and mineral resources were added here and there to ensure that cities built there can actually grow and build things. The ice on the lakes in the Yukon and Northwest of Canada was cleared away for the slight but beneficial food boost they bring. Additionally, the Northwest Passage has been opened just far enough to allow ships to sail north around Alaska all the way to Greenland and Europe.

Spoiler :

The west coast received some minor adjustments as well. Some desert tiles were turned to plains, mostly so that cities in the region could grab the resources there without having to have too many crummy squares in their BFC. Some of the resources on the coast were moved slightly to comfortably hold three cities along its length - one near real-life Vancouver, one near San Fran, and one near Los Angeles.

Spoiler :

Baja California too received a slight facelift, with one or two tiles of desert being turned to plains. Finally, Hawaii was enlarged and given some more resources.

These changes (hopefully not -too- overpowered :D ) should make it worth my time and resources to claim these areas, all of which (with the exception of Baja California) were at one point, claimed or settled by Russia, or were home to Russian-controlled forts.

With these changes made, I will, in the next couple of days, play the first turnset and prepare for

Bozhe, Tsarya Khrani! - The Line of Boris Godunov

Please, voice any comments or criticisms you may have! I live to please the S&Ters! :D

You know I would never miss one of your stories :love:

This looks great!

Subbed.

A palpable silence hung over the palace at Moscow. At the opposite side of the room paced the Tsar of Russia, Boris Godunov. The various advisers and boyars had entered some minutes before, but since they had assembled, the Tsar had not spoken a single word. His pace was slower than it had once been, his vigorous energy all but drained. Decades of life and a long illness had left Godunov a shell of the man he once was. The hushed word was whispered often under the breath of the courtiers, but never spoken aloud. The Tsar was dying.

But yet, something in his demeanor still remained, which commanded respect, and, indeed, the attention of all present.

When the Tsar finally spoke, they all took a collective breath.

"The pretender Dmitriy is dead," he stated. Murmurs spread through those assembled. The forces of the false tsar had been defeated in the west some weeks before, but the final demise of the man who claimed to be the son of Ivan Groznyi had been mere rumor. The threat of the False Dmitriy had been a continuing drain on all those concerned, and a major detriment to the Tsar's authority. Perhaps with him gone, Russia could know some peace.

"The throne is now secure for myself, and my line," Boris continued confidently. "I have every confidence that Russia will soon be a world-class power, on par with those in the West." He broke his pacing pattern to step over to one window, staring out over his city. "I will not live forever," he stated, his voice growing quieter, more resigned. "My heir, the tsarevich Feodor, is a very bright lad, but he is yet very young." He glanced over at those he had gathered here, eyeing the face of each.

"I want you, my loyal servants, to watch over the tsarevich. I cannot be the father to him that I wish I could be. It falls upon you, and all the finest minds which the imperial treasuries can pay for, to train my son. He shall make a fine Tsar. I'm sure of it."

"Yes, Lord," the advisers intoned in chorus.

Three years later, the Tsar succumbed to his illness, and the regency of Tsar Feodor II began.

A Swedish map of the east American coast, among the last papers to fall into the possession of Tsar Boris Godunov. Many notes and scrawlings were found in the margins, among the most prophetic of which was: Some day, all of this shall be our province.

great update.

You will be upsetting all our commies :lol:

Awesome start, not an unexpected thing from a Gruekiller story :D

Top Bottom