Brad: Civ3Edit for 10.1 users

Sid

Observer and Participant
Supporter
Brad,

Just in case this gets lost in the euphoria of receiving the Editor elsewhere. I have it installed in my Civ3 game folder. It doesn't appear to work: menu options grey, no clickable links work in the Help. Same problem seems to afflict other 10.1 users who haven't been able to afford the leap to Jaguar.

Just updating my own Stickie.

BTW: has anyone with OS 10.1.5 got the Editor to work?

Just to make sure, I have even downloaded Civ3Edit again and unzipped it into the Civ3 game folder, still no luck.

I'm getting no such luck with it either, Sid.. but then again, I'm on a gossamer g3/233 with 384MB of RAM.. granted, the RAM, I believe is inferior. I'm going to see if a processor speed boost will help, since the editor requires 300MHz or better.

Originally posted by Grey Randall
I'm getting no such luck with it either, Sid.. but then again, I'm on a gossamer g3/233 with 384MB of RAM.. granted, the RAM, I believe is inferior. I'm going to see if a processor speed boost will help, since the editor requires 300MHz or better.

Yeah, and i'm on a 700 mHz G4 eMac with 384 megs of RAM. Us lowly 10.1 users just need to suck up to the right ppl for awhile and maybe we'll get an editor by next January. :cool: Just kidding. I'm sure it's a small bug, anywhoo, and everything will be fine in a couple of weeks. Until then, back to the 5CC and domination with no units requiring rubber.

Thanks for the above, everyone. We're in Brad's hands as usual and will have to trust in his good graces and a tiny window in his impossible schedule. Remaining kewl.:cool:

Sorry Gents, but upgrading to Jaguar doesn't fix things either. I'm running 10.2.4 and have the same exact issues as everyone else on a 400mhz Pismo PowerBook with 640mb of RAM.

Originally posted by jettamanvr6
Sorry Gents, but upgrading to Jaguar doesn't fix things either. I'm running 10.2.4 and have the same exact issues as everyone else on a 400mhz Pismo PowerBook with 640mb of RAM.

Hmm, I'm in Jaguar 10.2.4 and everything is fine. Its still clunky but operational.

I'm on a 400 MHz G4 running OS 10.2.4. I can open and use the editor (which is very slow on Large and Huge maps), and I can save the .bic files. I can't open these files in the Editor to edit them further, but I can open and use them from Load Scenario in Civ3.

One bug for me: the resources icon has disappeared completely and without explanation from the toolbar. Trashing that copy of the editor and launching a new one doesn't restore it. I can still add resources from the menu, though.

10.2.4, 1.21g.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a RAM issue. the 384 MB I have in my Gossamer might not be recommended or exactly perfect for my Mac. I know I get kernel panics when I try to upgrade to 10.1.5... I also know I get freezes when I try to upgrade to Jaguar. (I also suspect my slow processor on that issue)

Those of us with crashing problems under 10.1 and or Jaguar... do we have substandard/inexpensive RAM in our machines? I'm just trying to figure out a solution. While I can't afford a processor upgrade right now, RAM is fairly cheap.

Those of us with crashing problems under 10.1 and or Jaguar... do we have substandard/inexpensive RAM in our machines? I'm just trying to figure out a solution. While I can't afford a processor upgrade right now, RAM is fairly cheap.

Give me one user who has tested and not failed the editor in 10.1.x and i'll be a believer of your wisdom. Not a large hardware maniac, but 384 megs of ram should run damn near any MAP editor without a problem (not so true of graphics programs such as Bryce or Poser, though! :p )

Snooz, was mostly grasping at straws, would hardly call it wisdom.

Tried to overclock my gossamer last night, but could only get that puppy up to 266.. none of the other settings that would allow me to take it up to the minimum 300MHz requirement would work. Here's what I'm going to try tonight when I get home (and off this accursed Windows 2000 machine at work):

Reinstall Civ III on my iBook... Granted, I can't play Civ III on it because of the screen limitation at 800 x 600, but it has a 333MHz processor in it, "Apple approved" RAM, as well 10.1.5 I'll see if I can get the editor to run there. If I can get it to run, then we may be getting somewhere. Still wouldn't call it wisdom though.

Brad, any ideas?

Snooz, was mostly grasping at straws, would hardly call it wisdom.

I was giving you a compliment. :goodjob: But hey... and the name is SnoozZ. But i'll let it slide this time :) .

Originally posted by Sid
Just in case this gets lost in the euphoria of receiving the Editor elsewhere. I have it installed in my Civ3 game folder. It doesn't appear to work: menu options grey, no clickable links work in the Help. Same problem seems to afflict other 10.1 users who haven't been able to afford the leap to Jaguar.

Yes, it seems to be broken on 10.1. I'll take a look at it ASAP. (I just moved from Austin to Phoenix, so things are a bit of a mess here.)

Originally posted by phrenile
One bug for me: the resources icon has disappeared completely and without explanation from the toolbar. Trashing that copy of the editor and launching a new one doesn't restore it. I can still add resources from the menu, though.

This is a Cocoa feature. Right-click on the toolbar to configure it.

Originally posted by jettamanvr6

Can you be more specific? Do you have Civ3Edit placed in the same folder as the Civ3 game application? If you don't, you'll get similar problems. The editor expects to find the civ3mod.bic file and the various artwork files for the game in the same hierarchy and folder layout used by the game itself. If you've moved or renamed your default civ3mod.bic file, you could see a similar problem.

Yay Brad! Thanx mate for getting back to us. I fully appreciate the hassles of moving -- in process of moving closer to the Queensland Gold Coast myself -- anything you can do is always appreciated.

Top Bottom