1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain DNA 'changes through life'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Trev, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Trev

Trev Prince

So DNA within a person is much more variable than expected, DNA routinely changes in a persons brain and that is a normal part of life. I have previously read somewhere that the immune system also has cells whose DNA changes regularly to combat new viral and maybe bacterial threats. Wonder how many more organs and parts of the body also has cells with variable DNA as these DNA changes seem to be the unexpected discoveries of new research. It appears now that most DNA changes are just that, routine changes in DNA, not random mutations which is the way they are normally presented.

2. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

So I can become even more depressed than I am now. Great.

3. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Where's the link?

4. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Going down is always easier than going up :)

5. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I think the news here might be that genome sequence (what they mean when they say the DNA change) in nerve cells change. It's not at all news that the human genome can undergo transitions. Cancer mechanisms often involve huge transitions of DNA sequences (inversions, translocations, etc...). Basic expression and repressions of the genome involve binding and removal of proteins to the DNA, and such guides the physical conformation of the DNA sequence, which in turn guides which streches of the DNA actually become sequenced to make proteins (Central Dogma of Molecular Biology).
    These surely change with disease states, hormonal signaling, and when under attack by some viruses.

Retrotransposons in general, and their existence in the human genome, are definitely NOT news in genomics. Some people take them as evidence that viruses guide the evolution of species.

You are correct that immune cells effectively rearrange portion of their genome to facilitate specificity of their binding. It determines the corresponding protein sequences of the variable region of soluble antibodies and related cellular receptors.

OP, please post the link.

There's also other ways to alter the function of the genome, including epigenetics, in which the sequence doesn't change, but the DNA bases are modified, which indirectly affects the probably of nearby genes being expressed.

Some related reading: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070620073439.htm

6. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust