Brainstorming: Weaknesses of the AI

Chalid

Black Dragon
As stated in another thread i really want to do some more AI work. So i would like to collect AI Problems that need to be adressed specific problems that arise with FfH but other Problems as well. So if anyone finds that an AI is dumb in the one or other respect pleas post it here.
Things that i feel need to be adressed.
FfH specific (and most probably not beeing solved otherwise due to further development of FfH)
  • AI building no Unit-Prerequisit Buildings in War or in preparation of a War. - Solution in testing
  • Mages are not yet moved in a right way (or were not?) - Scheduled for 0.13
  • AI units should leave the range of spellcasters if they cannot do anything against them (ships tht are attacked by landbased mages, small groups of units massing near mage defended cities)

Vanilla Problems (These might be more problematic as some might be adressed by the Warlords expansion)
  • AI attacking large stacks with counter units and never killing one foe when it has much fewer units. In this situation it would be much probably mor wise to mass some more units and attack the stack in one big strike - - Solution in testing.
  • AI not using Airforce well
  • AI not using Navy well
  • AI not moving workers, ships, Air force and Great People out of cities that will be captured the next turn.
  • Division of the Worldmap into too large Areas (AI wise, only on maps with large landmasses).
  • Units (Hill giants leave a city after the other defenders were killed)
  • AI moves single troops to the front instead of greater task forces that could defend themselves. (That one is difficult with the current implementation. Of the AI)

To check
  • Ai not building Roads before openBorders.
  • Barbarians sometimes not attacking other AIs.

This thread is a fantastic idea. Even though Im hesitant to make to many AI changes right now, it will be great to have a place to gather the ideas together.

After the 19th I'll run through a few warlords games and see how the ai has changed. I suspect the ai will be largely the same so if you have vanilla civ ai issues we should gather them here for consideration.

Kael said:
After the 19th I'll run through a few warlords games and see how the ai has changed. I suspect the ai will be largely the same so if you have vanilla civ ai issues we should gather them here for consideration.

You already have the Warlords expanison ?:eek: Or you play as a Warlord?:blush:

Chalid said:
You already have the Warlords expanison ?:eek: Or you play as a Warlord?:blush:

I have the expansion but Im under NDA so I cant talk about any of the specifics.

I have not heared anything from you ... but i might send you some specific requests what to test. ;) Oh and mark some of the units and buildings as "have a final art" were Warlords provides already good models. No need for us to use our time for those too if firaxis will provide them in the future.

Some early entirely unrelated. As we non priviledged have read a lot about Warlords i request that you think about the Military Great Person, the Big Wall, and how we use them and other changes for the best of FfH... And of course the GengisKahn Settlemet that we might want to reuse for the hippus..

Chalid said:
I have not heared anything from you ... but i might send you some specific requests what to test. ;) Oh and mark some of the units and buildings as "have a final art" were Warlords provides already good models. No need for us to use our time for those too if firaxis will provide them in the future.

Some early entirely unrelated. As we non priviledged have read a lot about Warlords i request that you think about the Military Great Person, the Big Wall, and how we use them and other changes for the best of FfH... And of course the GengisKahn Settlemet that we might want to reuse for the hippus..

;) Im all over it.

Being my usual on-top-of-things self, what's Warlords?

Also, I'm at the beach this weekend so won't be able to play any Civ IV.

Is anyone fiddling with the Leaderhead XML file? I've been going through it for the SMAC mod and there is a lot of untapped potential there.

woodelf said:
Is anyone fiddling with the Leaderhead XML file? I've been going through it for the SMAC mod and there is a lot of untapped potential there.

All of the leader settings have been review for 110f (with a ton of changes). That webpage that was linked in the thread you started that listed exactly what everything does was VERY cool. :D

Kael said:
All of the leader settings have been review for 110f (with a ton of changes). That webpage that was linked in the thread you started that listed exactly what everything does was VERY cool. :D

That it was. I learned a lot, but also was dismayed at how often Firaxis simply had values put in that were the same for every civ.

woodelf said:
That it was. I learned a lot, but also was dismayed at how often Firaxis simply had values put in that were the same for every civ.

To play reasonably the values have to stay within a certain range but I love how they left everything open so you can make a completly schizo Ai leaders if you want (*cough* *cough* *perpentach* *cough*).

Without looking at the files I'd say that Basium has a high DogPile number! He was my best friend until someone else declared war on me. Then the opportunistic SOB stole 2 of my cities with Merc horsemen and landed axemen near my Capital! Fantastic Fun when the AI actually attacks me. :D

Kael said:
You make me infintely jealous ;). I'm going to have to find out where in England you are hiding!

Seriously though, I think it's great that they have somebody who is up there in the modding community tinkering, and giving feedback before the release. It also means you can do what you did with the SDK and provide all sorts of useful info on the day of release!

Back to the AI - as you said , I can't see the AI being changed that drastically. I imagine they will add code for the Warlord unit / mobile settlers, but most of the core will probably remain unchanged.

A niggle I have with the AI is that when it blockades my ports it is quite happy to sit there and take repeated fireballs from on land until it sinks. I realise that spells are going to be problematic for the AI and I am sure that this is just one of many.

Redradish

For your original question on things we notice about the ai. This might be because he doesnt build pre req buildings and so has few choices, but he seems to build an extrodinarily high number of adepts. We saw him with more of them then anything else in some cities.

One other thing that I have noticed about AI civs is that they rarely if at all use the 1st level water spell spring to turn their deserts into plains. This is a no brainer, there is no reason to leave them as deserts (OK - Sand Lions, but that ain't why the AI leaves the desert as is) and any old adept can grab that spell from the moment you get libraries.

At the moment I don't play arid worlds because I am too heavily advantaged in this respect.

Does the AI terraform at all?

Top Bottom