1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by scloopy, Sep 15, 2003.

1. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I got fed up with the constant unhappiness and backed up about a thousand years and tried the sending caravans to help complete wonders and it really made a difference. So far so good until a few minutes ago when this happened:

CIV2 caused an invalid page fault in module DIBENG.DLL

As I have no idea what that means and I lost the last 500 years of success I am not a happy camper right now. Oh well, "If at first.......

:mad: :cry: :nuke: :ripper: :rocket2: :slay: :sniper: :groucho: :aargh: :die:

Gee Now I feel lots better.

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

One way I prevent that is to set "Autosave each turn" ON in the Game Options menu. This creates a pair of files, usually something like "AB_AUTO.SAV" and "AB_AUTO2.SAV" (if you were playing with a leader named ABe or ABraham), that are copies of the last starting turn and the last Oedo turn (I think). Max you lose is one turn.
    As to the specific error message, I do not recognize it from my own play, but DIBENG.DLL has something to do with the installed Display Drivers. If you are not using the Windows standard VGA one, try downloading an updated one for your video card.
    You missed these:

:wallbash:

[plasma]:sad:

:suicide:

:vomit:

(The smilies at CFC are much better than those at Apolyton.Net...)

3. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

I hope.

Remind me never to double-cross or backstab you in a MP game!

4. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

I don't think she did; I replied to her, added a few of my own, and ran into an upper limit on emoticons.

5. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Thank you all for your additions for my temper tantrum. I don't lose my temper often, but why go half way. I am very happy now.

Why would a shield under my support and production bar be black like in this picture?

Attached Files:

6. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

The name below the bar says it all; a certain amount of your shields are going to waste, which is a function of government type (tied to distance from capital), as corruption is to trade. I don't know of a tech or improvement fix to this, though. The only real solution, just as for corruption, is to change governments. Communism and Democracy eliminate waste.

As you can see, each gov type has its advantages and tradeoffs. You can go the Communism route and produce regiments of spies, but trade falls off due to loss of personal freedom. Democracy is fantastic for economic conditions, but makes it very hard to prosecute a war. The best thing for all circumstances is to build the Statue of Liberty, which allows you to switch government forms relatively on the fly. In Civ-speak, it produces instant Oedo years. :king:

7. DasMan

DasMan Chieftain

The "black shield" is waste due to corruption (shown in a similar way to the trade waste from corruption). This can be minimised by adding a courthouse or changing to a "better" government type (or moving your capital closer) and eliminated by either moving the palace to this city (not recommended except in extreme circumstances due to the shield cost) or changing to a Democracy.

8. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I think building a direct road to the capital also can reduce corruption and waste.

Scloopy, may I ask why your citizens are working a jungle square, when there are free ocean, forest and shielded grassland squares, and working a roaded plain square when there is a free roaded and shielded grassland square? That's a bigger waste than the black shield on the production bar...

9. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

I see three supported units, so I gather you are in Monarchy. Switching to Republic will lose you three shields and a Food, but improve both the Trade situation as well as the Corruption and Waste. You could add a Courthouse to further reduce the Corruption, and gain a happy citizen when you switch to Democracy. You could go to Democracy without worrying about this city because of Shakespeare, but other cities may be of concern.

One trick on allocating workers it to click once on the city center, which forces the game to reallocate workers on the "best" tiles, those with the highest balance of Food and Production. Then move a few around to see if you can add some extra Trade (like move a Roaded Grass to Ocean). If you are not trying to grow the city you can reduce the Food to 0 Surplus to add Production or Trade.

I usually set my Settlers to Roading and Irrigating the Grass tiles with Shields first, then the Grass only, then the Plains. If there are Specials with Trade on them I try to add a Road early on as that adds an extra Trade too.

It is very hard for me to see the city map at that size, but it looks like it might be sitting on a Hill? I think I see a Whale and a Wheat; if so, the city might have been able to span one or two more specials if it had been built one tile due west or one north and one east. The Wheat tile can be Mined (which is equivalent to re-foresting) into a Silk tile, which gives more Trade at the cost of less Food. But if there are any other high-Trade specials east or west, the sites I mentioned above would make for a first-class Super Science/Trade City.

10. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Thanks,
    I think my best best bet right now is a courthouse. I am not quite ready to test me on a Democracy again as last time all my cities went into rebelion.

11. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I was under the impression that upgrading the jungle would add production, but I should work the good stuff first. Right?

12. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

;)

it was in the wrong place, but I had did a lot of work before I realized it. I am trying to slog on. :D

13. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Not sure what you mean; yes, Irrigating the jungle will transform it into Grass, or Mining it will transform it to Forest, but putting a worker on it before you have changed it gets you only one Food. Putting the same worker on the Ocean till it is done gets you an extra Food and two Trade; putting it on the Shielded Grass with Road gets you a Shield at the cost of a Trade. Funxus was just pointing out that the "worker" on the jungle was wasting potential production or trade.

You are a Queen. But being a Consul, or even a Comrade, will permit greater trade or nullify corruption.

Improve the terrain your workers are working first, then the terrain that the next additional workers will work. Do the shielded grass first, then the grass, then the plains. If possible pair up two Settlers or Engineers to do things in half the time. Putting three or more to work on the same tile requires that you turn them "on and off", which can be a complicated, frustrating exercise if you have not done it before. Two works fine, but only one of them is "storing" the work so if you interrupt them before they are done to do another job, one of them will "carry" all the work to the next site; the other will start fresh. Another of the "hidden tricks".

14. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

That makes things much better.

Is there a way to tell before a citizen gets uphappy? I see about content and happy, but mine seem to be happy or unhappy.

15. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

If you see that there's a balance of unhappy and happy citizens in your city, and it's a bout to grow, you can be pretty sure that it's about to revolt. So, a good way is to hire elvii, or buy a temple, right before a city with the same amount of happy people and unhappy people is about to grow, because the new citizen is (on the higher levels) likely a red dude, or maybe even a black one if you have to many cities and citizens.

16. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I have a city (a newer city) and it had 4 happy citizens when the next one was added he was unhappy and before I could build a temple or bring a military unit back the city revolted. I keep reading and rereading the book, but I must be missing the point somewhere.:cry:

17. la fayette

la fayette King

Main factors having an influence on happiness:

1) Level of difficulty (at deity level, the second citizen is unhappy = red face; but at Emperor level , the third citizen is unhappy, and so on). The lower the level, the more blue faces you have when your city grows.

2) Number of cities (combined with type of government and size of the map). At deity level, standard map, despotism, you get a red face for the first citizen of the fifth city that you build (first citizen of the seventh city in Monarchy, ninth city in Republic, ...).

I'll give you a link for more detailed information.

18. la fayette

la fayette King

19. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

You were right about complication, but I think my problem may be coming from building new cities too fast.

Do the pictures of the citizens and the color hats they are wearing indicate weather they are becoming unhappy?

I gathered there is a pattern to the unhappiness, but I did not realize that it was quite so complicated. This old head is getting quite a workout.

20. la fayette

la fayette King

1) Building new cities too fast:
    Yes, the game is designed to make it difficult to build 'too many' new cities (especially at upper difficulty levels).

2) Colours:
    The simplest is to check with F4 key (attitude advisor).
    Light blue = Happy
    Deep blue = Content
    Red = Unhappy
    Black = Very unhappy

3) Old head:
    Don't be afraid: my head is almost certainly older than yours (65 years :p )