1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by scloopy, Sep 15, 2003.

1. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

If I conquer the world, I usually do it late in the game, when my tech advantage doesn't force me to build a huge military to wage war. I seldom do very well in early wars. So, instead of planning to win by space or conquest, you can plan to build up the empire until you can do both. That's what I do anyway.

2. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Had not thought of it that way. I was thinking that it was one way or the other.

3. la fayette

la fayette King

If you wish to land early or conquer early, you must choose early.
    If you enjoy building an empire and then decide what you will achieve, it's OK.
    (Look at DoM: he's ready to spend months 'milking' his current game :crazyeye: )

4. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Oh boy do I have a problem now......

I built a new computer and now I can not load CIV II. I put the disk in the drive and the install screen comes up and I click Install and nothing happens.....HELP!!!

By the way I finally won the GOTM 34 right before I switchec computers. In the same day I went from being very happy to really :mad:

5. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Most "new computer" issues are with video drivers. But usually it installs OK, but then does not run right. Since it is a home-build, I'd suggest checking out your HD/CD controller connections (try installing another game/program), then check on WinG and the Indeo drivers.

6. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Just read your other post in "1000 Reasons"; for an XP install, most likely an issue with Indeo drivers. There is a Tech Support forum here or at Apolyton.Net, with numerous calls for help on XP issues. Check it out.

7. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

8. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

The really weird thing is that XP will not read the setup file, it just sits and does nothing. I checked the processes and it shows setup but not running. I probably need to change a setting or something, but heaven help I can't find out what.

9. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

XP, huh? In a word.... :vomit: :rant: :hammer: [plasma] and :nuke: it into :mutant: hood. (As you can gather, I feel strongly. It's a political thing....)

Alternatively, you could put Windows 98 on as an alternative boot; you'll need a multiple booter manager, but many people do this to get all the benefits of Win98, Linux, and even :rolleyes: WinXP.

10. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Oh box XP. I really hope no occasion ever arises that I should meet anyone who is responsible for the programing of the MS-OS. I would end up arrested - :ar15:

That should be MS-SOS.

I shall try to find another multiple boot manger. I went thru this with 3.1/95/98 and it is a pain in the neck, but anything for good old CIV II. :aargh:

11. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

This you are not going to believe. I decided that until I could get the problem solved I would play Civ III. It loads, the intro plays and then a 2"x3" bright blue sign come along "Out of Range". I am assuming it is the monitor. Did you know that CD's can sail really good?

12. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

There were many people who tried making shuriken out of AOL CDs when they were mailing them to everyone; not very effective, but oh, so soothing.

13. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Hey Hey Hey - all problems solved. Had to do a clean install.

I even found the answer to the CIV III problem and played it a little.

I shall try it again, but I think I like II better.

I am sooooo :D now I can play CIV II again. :love: I am going to try another game at Prince level. Wish me luck.

14. la fayette

la fayette King

Good luck :D

15. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I played a wholly random game at prince and did it without one question.

Then I tried CIV III. Great Graphics and stuff but guess what....

I am back to CIV II. Maybe I am not ready for that fancy stuff.

16. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

Does that mean you don't NEED us anymore?????? :cry:

:lol:

17. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Oh No, had I been smarter I would have been up several times with questions, but I am just a wee bit stubborn.

The game a that level was hard and to be honest I had to back up several times or I would have been wiped out. I still can't seem to do well at war but I did get to space with one turn left. If it had taken longer I would have been totally wiped out by the Germans and Celts who had wiped out everyone but me and had three of my cities. Sooooo as you can see I still need help, lots of help.

I did discover one thing about war, walls and barracks are really necessary.

18. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

My new computer is running at 2.4ghz and now everyone moves too fast to see what is happening and being colorblind it has really added another challenge to me playing. At least in Civ II I know what is going on. In III there are so many people running around till I gave up. I used to overclock now I am wondering if it would help to "Underclock"?

19. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

In III, you can turn animations on, and turn on civ colors in the preferences. (an outline of a circle when zoomed in, and a filled in circle when zoomed out).

20. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

I use an older Toshiba laptop as my Civ2 machine of choice: Windows is rock-stable, the 650 MHz Celeron is fast enough and the built-in Ethernet and USB allow wired or wireless Internet connection. I tried it on a faster machine once but, like you, didn't like the too-fast animations.