Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

I had not thought about that. I have one that runs at 750 and that should be good. It is almost like old dos games (v1.1) I think it was game over when they came out with the faster chips and Windows 3.1. You got killed before you could see what was happening. So much fun. I, of course, am a little slow for the shoot-um-up-bang-bang games and now my eyes are too slow for the animation especially on III. So much fun.

I'm _not_ colorblind, and I'm never sure which civ 3 units are whose. To be fair, I haven't given it a full game to prove its worth, but for all the 'better graphics' and the admittedly cool concepts, in practice civ 3 hasn't held my interest sufficiently to justify the loss of potential civ 2 time.

Yeah, whoever chose the color scheme for Civ III should DEFINATELY not go into interior designing.:D It hurts my eyes. Civ2 for me please.

I really think I shall have to give up on Civ III. Even putting it on the slower computer did not make it better. The colors drive me nuts (or would if I could figure out who is who). All those great graphics are more of a distraction than anything to me. It is back to II for good this time.

Originally posted by scloopy
I really think I shall have to give up on Civ III. Even putting it on the slower computer did not make it better. The colors drive me nuts (or would if I could figure out who is who). All those great graphics are more of a distraction than anything to me. It is back to II for good this time.

Come on over to Callahan's, and I'll stand you a mug in welcome-back (so to speak; I don't think you ever really left).

Guess what, another question:

I had a ship wandering around checking out the map and came across a barb city. Is it possible to find their civ or had they conqured a city from someone else?

One more question. What is Play the World? My Grandson says I will like it, but after my experience with III I just don't know.

Oh Great, I am still trying to rid my head of the III stuff.

Guess what, another question:

I had a ship wandering around checking out the map and came across a barb city. Is it possible to find their civ or had they conqured a city from someone else?

The Barbs are an "eighth civ". They can capture a city from another player and use it to pump out units, but they cannot build their own city. When you recapture the city it is as if it was conquered from the original civ (there is some sort of "original creator civ" flag that is not reset). They can even research techs, but you cannot do diplomacy with them. I think you can go into Cheat Mode and switch the "active human player" to the Barbs, but I don't know about control of units and cities.

A Barb city is a good thing. You can either buy it very cheap (and you usually get at least one defender unit, sometimes a BarbLdr=Dip as well), or you can position a Dip next to it and bribe any units that come out, creating unsupported units. Too bad they don't make Settlers...

One player in an Early Landing game was trying to GIVE AWAY a city he set up specifically so he could do the Rd/RR Trade Route connection to his SSC. Barbs don't seem to go for free bait, though...

Thanks, I think I shall go back and see if I can get it with a Dip. It is the first time I have encountered a barb city. I had seen them capture another civs city, but they did not keep it. It is so good to be home.

I have to say that every time I see the word "Dip" in here, my mind snaps back to an old compilation book of "B.C." cartoons, titled Dip in Road. And there was a picture of the dip in the road on the cover to prove it....

I had not thought of that in a long time. I would bet that is around here somewhere as that is my Son's favorite cartoon. :D

Why would an AI Caravan spend the entire game going back and forth between two squares. It would flip back and forth really fast sometimes and other times it would sit for several turns and do nothing. It got off a ship and never went more than two squares away from where it landed.

By the way I finally played an entire game without going to war with anyone or anyone going to war with me. It is not easy, but it can be done. Ain't near as much fun as having a few wars. [Dance] A little war clears the air.

Why would an AI Caravan spend the entire game going back and forth between two squares.

Because the AI is Very, Very, stupid

Why would an AI Caravan spend the entire game going back and forth between two squares. It would flip back and forth really fast sometimes and other times it would sit for several turns and do nothing.

It has a destination in mind, but cannot find a "shortest path" - probably due to a terrain anomaly. Both squares must give equally bad paths to the destination, but it cannot say "neither of these is good enough, try going around". Consider it a bribing opportunity...

Why would an AI Caravan spend the entire game going back and forth between two squares. It would flip back and forth really fast sometimes and other times it would sit for several turns and do nothing. It got off a ship and never went more than two squares away from where it landed.

Your .sigblock says it all; they're stuck in an infinite loop!

The really weird thing was the blooming camel was right beside a city and one more step and it could have had a trade route. I wonder if I could have used a spy and got it for my civ. I did not think of it till now, but can you bribe a camel???

Top Bottom