1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by scloopy, Sep 15, 2003.

1. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

As I recall, yes (I haven't played for a few months, and will probably have to get my chops back when I boot the ROM again). Any enemy unit not in a stack with another unit can be bribed if you have the gold.

As for why the blinkin' camel wouldn't step into that city, it was probably aiming for another city, and the AI wouldn't alter course. It's really curious, reflecting on bugs like that, why we still love this game, but there you are....

2. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

Yes, you can bribe caravans, and when you do it will rehome in the closest city. I don't know whether it'll keep the original commodity though or get a new one from the new home city? What happens if it's far away enough to become a NONE had it been a settler?

3. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

I've done that - bribed a caravan and gotten a NONE. I don't think the commodity changes, but I have not tested that myself. I wish the Dip/Spy could tell me what type it was before I paid the money...

Another "trick" to getting an AI caravan out of a terrain loop is to move a couple of your own onto one of the tiles, which forces it to consider another direction, then move the second onto the second tile it was using and it has to recalc. The two of them can "shepherd" the thing away from the problem.

4. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I like that a camel shepherd. I shall try it and see what happens.

5. rponton

rponton Warlord

All of this disscussion puts me in mind to repeat my answer. The AI is Very, Very stupid. Gotta love it!

6. addiv

addiv Hero of our time

Not really, I wish the AI was smarter. Sure, it's fun to observe their stupidity, but it gets monotonous after a while.

7. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

At times there stupidities drive me nuts but at other times they are really funny. Like seeing an island full of them multiply like crazy but too dumb to get off the island. It is not "AI" it is "AS".

8. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

How good does my score have to be before I am not weak, pitiful or some such?

9. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Good question. Here's the list, from GAME.TXT:

%STRING0 the Worthless
    %STRING0 the Pathetic
    %STRING0 the Foolish
    %STRING0 the Weak
    %STRING0 the Meek
    %STRING0 the Unready
    %STRING0 the Small
    %STRING0 the Glutton
    %STRING0 the Mad
    %STRING0 the Cruel
    %STRING0 the Terrible
    %STRING0 Forkbeard
    %STRING0 the Clever
    %STRING0 Ironfist
    %STRING0 the Conqueror
    %STRING0 the Fair
    %STRING0 the Strong
    %STRING0 the Just
    %STRING0 the Lion-Hearted
    %STRING0 the Mighty
    %STRING0 the Great
    %STRING0 Augustus
    %STRING0 the Wise
    %STRING0 the Magnificent

There are 24 of them; seems like the first 12 are not complimentary, but that's up to you. As to how they are decided, I have not seen a definitive thread on that. There was some speculation that it is related to the Score Percentile and the Difficulty Level.

10. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Well I guess I should be happy with Cruel. I figured it was maybe based on score. So far Cruel is the best I have done.

I read about people changing (editing) the game. Is this in order to make a senerio of just to make the game more like what they want to play or what?

11. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

There is a lot that can be done with Civ2 (much more than Civ3!). Program variables like "Riot Factor" and "FoodEaten" can be changed; whole civs can be added or altered; special maps can be set up, and new sets of units added. You can get a taste of it by activating the Cheat Menu (NOT in a game you are seriously playing!). It shows you lots of things you can alter, and then you can save the current state as a SCeNario file for someone else to play. By editting the TXT files you can alter units, civs, and program variables. Most comparison games require that you use the default TXT files and just monkey with the map and starting situations (location, units, techs, gold).

12. rponton

rponton Warlord

It took me a real long time to get my ranking above the "less than plesant" rankings. Buck up, keep practicing, and eventually, you'll start to creep up those rankings. During the game, you can check your status by hitting F9 (i think) it will show you your civ demographics and current score. The higher your overall score, the better your ranking.

13. M37

M37 Warlord

scloopy great to hear you found Civ2
    Remember the best way to win aginst the AI is to think two to three or even more turns ahead.

14. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

If the AI (a/k/a AS) acted in a logical maner it would be easier, but sometimes when I think I know what it is fixing to do it does the complete oposite. Maybe it is my thinking that is scrambled and not the AS.

15. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

At one time when I came to the thread the older read messages were compressed and the new ones were open. Now they are all expanded. What did I change and how do I unchange it. How do I keep doing stupid stuff, maybe I am an AI/S in reality and don't even know it.

16. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

I think there's a setting for that in the Ucer CP.:)

17. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I have looked there, but If it is there I am misunderstanding the directions (which would be nothing new).

18. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Sounds like something that would be under "Edit Options", but I don't see what you describe. Try PMing Duke of Marlborough if you cannot find it.

19. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

When you first go into a Forum you see all the threads represented by one line. I thught at one time when I wnet into individual threads the only ones expanded were the unread post. Maybe I am going nuts.

20. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

It was a forum option we use to have. It has been gone for quite some time now (at least that I know of).