1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by scloopy, Sep 15, 2003.

1. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

OK so I'm slow to catch on.
    Thanks Duke

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

I've been thinking about this one. Might this have something to do with "Subscribed Threads"? I don't use this myself, but did you in the past hit the "Subscribe to this thread" line?

3. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Yep I did do the Subscribe to this Thread. Would that have made a difference?

4. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

There was a software update a couple weeks back. I wonder if it changed the way Subscribed Threads worked. I don't use it, so I didn't notice a difference.

5. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Oh well, I will just have to like it the way it is.

Question - (so what else is new)

I did pretty good at warlard, but when I went to the next level. I am getting slaughtered pretty quick. I got wiped out last night in a game where I have no resources at all. They were coming after my poor four cities with knights and I had no horses, iron or anything. Should I search further to find a starting spot. The one time I tried to wander my poor settler got gutted before I had a city. What is the best starting place on the ocean or inland? HELP
    :cringe:

6. Dark Ascendant

Dark Ascendant Darkness Ascending...

Well the important thing is having water to irrigate. It's good for exploration and expansion if you setttle next to the ocean, because then you can build boats. If you settle inland, make sure that there's some way to irrigate; by rivers, lakes, or irrigated squares of other cities. Next worry about shields. Try to found cities with at least one hill. Irrigation and mining are the basics. Try to settle in a places with lots of glasslands and plains, it's hard to make a living in a bunch of forests.

7. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I wouldn't advise waiting too long before building your first city, especialy if you have 2 settlers. If you have cities, you can begin reserching from the begining. Because you are on the easyer levels, I would advise going for republic as your first goal. Then send diplomats to explore. If you come across an opposing civ's unit, you may bribe it. Keep a dip or two at home if you can, so you can respond to anything that may come up there. Keep expanding, and once you feel queasy about your possible proximity to an opponant, build Phlanks in your cities. If there is another civ on your continent, try to cut it off at choke points. Use cities for these, and defend them very well, with City Walls and, if they are not very pleased with you, barracks. Then you can expand into your area with far fewer wories about enimies. The important thing is where you place city critical wonders; you can always move your capital to clear coruption when you find a good spot for your SSC.

8. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Thanks, I have never had two settlers but one time. Is there a civ that always starts with two settlers or is it random?

I had not considered using Dips to look around. What happens when they run into barbs?

9. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

If you play on the deity level you will alwasy get two Settlers.

If your dip finds barbs, generally you buy them. ;)

10. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I am almost afraid to try the diety level after getting slaughtered this week.

11. Ace

Ace Emperor

Try it, you will like it! After a few nasty experiences with that level, you will become comfortable with it and be able to win consistently. It just takes practice....:D

12. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

It is scary to think about when you are still at that level. But eventualy you get closer to deity and it doesn't seem that bad. Prioritizing is the key, and go for trade right after monarchy.

13. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

In that terrible game, I never got to monarchy. I had only four cities and hand just met my closest neighbor. They demanded my latest tech and money. I gave it to them and the next turn they declared war, took all my workers and started attacking my cities. It is the first game I have played where my starting position was so terrible. My new game is looking better, but the AI civs seem to advance so much quicker than I do in every game. I shall try try again as the saying goes. Maybe eventually I shall learn how to make war properly. ( I just looked at that last sentence and that sounds terrible "war properly")

14. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

DON'T go straight to Deity. Each level is a step upward; master one level before stepping up. At Prince level you get a slight bonus dealing with Barbs, and 5 content citizens before the first unhappy. Master that and then King level, focusing on making Settlers faster and getting Monarchy as quickly as possible.

If you have no starting techs, Monarchy should be your fifth tech: Alph/CoL/Cer/(anything)/Mon. You can juggle the "anything" around a bit, but if you have gotten a tech from a hut that doesn't fit in the previous list, stop opening huts till you finish Monarchy. Extra techs will make the research take longer, and may "hide" Mon when you want it to be next.

Monarchy is key to getting several advantages: "special" tiles yield their full extra bonuses, less corruption and waste in outlying cities (if you have any...), every city supports 3 units for free, and if you have founded a city on grass you get an instant 50% bonus in food. It is the best government for early game, because Settlers only eat 1 food and there is no shield support for 3 units. Use the time in Despotism and Monarchy to make Settlers as fast as you can, and try to create an "inner ring" of cities around your capital city. Do NOT spend more than 10 turns looking around for a decent starting location, and take into consideration your 2nd, 3rd and 4th cities. If the location is really lousy, even after 10 turns: Quit and Restart!

Your goals from 4000BC to 2000BC should be starting location, make 2-4 more cities, and tech for Monarchy. You may do better than this, especially if you have starting techs or a starting location with rivers. The BEST place to plunk down that first city would be a grassy river tile within range of a Whale. I prefer Grass tiles in general because of the food boost when you get out of Despo, but try not to be inflexible. Those with the most rigid beginning plans tend to develop less quickly than those who adapt to what they find. Put down a city as soon as you can, build a Warrior to explore around the capital, and start building Settlers.

Barbs do not spawning till the 16th turn, and the likelyhood they will start near you is low, so don't worry about city defense. If you are building Settlers at a decent pace you can always switch to a Warrior or Phalanx and RushBuy it if something comes your way. Try to keep a little reserve of 20-30 gold for emergencies and spend the rest RushBuying rows of shields (do you know about Partial RushBuying?).

You DON'T have to give AI civs all your techs and money - early on, the AI often bluffs. Try not to mess up your tech plan by trading techs too much, but I often go for one just to see what they have. Once they agree to trade you can see their whole list and choose anything, not just the one they offered. If they look like trouble, choose a war tech like WarCode and switch a Settler to Archer in the city nearest to them (all your cities are building Settlers, right?).

In addition to being the key to city placement, terrain is also the key to war. Any unit on rough terrain (forest, jungle, swamp) gets a 50% defense bonus; Hills gives 100% and Mountains 200%. A Warrior can hold off an Archer or Chariot if it is sitting on a Mountain (with a little luck!). Try to find "choke points" in the terrain that have better defensive ground between your cities and the direction the AI is coming from. If you get any Horses or Chariots, try to keep them an extra tile away from the AI units, or stack them "under" a Phalanx or Archer. If the AI attacks, the better defender will defend the stack. Use the extra movement point of the Horse or Chariot to try to find paths through smoother terrain, but try not to risk your best attackers just for exploring dark areas. A Dip is a better explorer, because it can bribe and create embassies if you find a city.

The other thing to learn about is how to handle Barb invasions. If possible, set up a position where the Barb Archer will attack and lose (like a Phalanx fortified on a Hill or Mtn), then chase down and "capture" the Barb Leader for a big gold reward. Bribing one of the Barb Archers will cost 61 gold; if your Barb Level is Restless or Raging the payback from the Leader will be more than that. Some people go for Writing as their "anything" tech before Monarchy just for this reason.

This is getting a little long, so try out some of these things in a few games and come back with more questions...

15. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I think maybe I have been wasting too much time protecting my cities. I usually build barracks first then worker, walls, then temples before I build another settler

I also have been, I think, still messing my my line to Monarchy by trying to get all the stuff in between above and below. I need to learn to think more in a straight line and less scattered.

I am also way to hardheaded about trying to tough it out when I get a really lousey starting position.

Thanks, by the way, I think I shall start a new game at Prince and see how it goes this time.

16. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Try a game where you build a Warrior first, then Settlers until you reach Monarchy. Each Settler moves far enough away so that the new city radius will just touch or overlap the one next to it. Settle immediately, without making any roads. Do this for your first 6 cities or until Monarchy and see how far you get. Use the Warriors to explore around the home area, trying to keep them spread out concentrically. If you encounter another civ, have the first Warrior try to slip around the perimeter of the cities while the neighboring Warriors come back to block passage back to your cities.

This is just an experiment, not a strategy etched in stone. Don't build any city improvements at all till after Monarchy, and stop popping Huts if you get an off-path tech from one. Your goals are exploration, city creation, and Monarchy.

I'm curious whether you will beat 2000BC...

17. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I am playing a regular game at Prince and the barbs came along. All of them but one was killed and the leader was captured. This is really weird. If I right click on the shield it says it is a barb diplomat, but the thing is a green thing with one eye like something from the ocean. I have uploaded a copy of the thing

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/really_weird.jpg

at least I think that is where it went. I would insert it into the post if I could remember how.

The address does not work but it is in www.civfanatics.net/uploads7 and the name of the file is really wierd.jpg

18. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

If you put IMG in brackets before and after a graphic it should display. The problem with that one is that the upload looks like it has capitalized JPG rather than lower case.

That "unit" is supposed to be an unused unit, it occupies the bottom right corner of the UNITS.GIF file. Have you been monkeying with your graphics files, or loaded a Scenario with alternate graphics? Or made some changes in the TXT files that call on different unit graphics? Come to think of it, the UNITS.GIF in MGE is different than the one from Classic - looks like you got a copy of the Classic one in an MGE folder. Did you try to do an upgrade patch of Classic to MGE and have it fail?

19. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I have made no changes to anything, downloaded any patches or anything else. My Grandson tells me that he played a scenario Saturday with that "Unit" in it but the scenario came with the game. To make it even funnier, when I killed it I got another 100 for capturing the leader. Weirder and Weirder.
    :crazyeye: :lol: :mutant:

20. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Sounds like the Scenario came with graphic files that overwrote the default graphic files. I'll upload the original MGE UNITS.GIF file tomorrow and we can try swapping it. It sounds like it is just acting like the Barb Leader graphic.