Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

Thanks, it sure was weird seeing a one eyed green fish thing with a red shield. :lol:

OK Thanks, I did that. When I went investigating I realized that the new game I had started for some unknown reason was being saved in a scn. folder called alien. I asked George and he said that was the last one he played. I don't know why my game was saved in that file, but I would assume that was part of the problem. I have moved the saved games and hopefully I will not have any more weird people showing up in my game.
Thanks for the help.

MGE defaults to loading and saving from the same directory/folder as the last game, unlike Classic (which can be annoying if you use a separate Games folder to keep your play history).

The problem of the one eyed monster seems to be solved.
Thanks much.

I took your advice on the start of the game and things seem to be a lot better. I am doing better at the beginning than ever before. I think I was too worried about getting attacked and ended up playing catch-up all the time. Will keep you posted.

The new game started as you suggested is doing really good so far. I seem to be "keeping up with the Jones" lots better

I have just discovered that trying to play Civ II on a laptop with no keypad is a pain in the neck. It is really funny as now I have Camels running willie nilly all over the place.

Suggestions would be helpful. :lol:

If it's a Toshiba, hold down the Fn key and the left hand turns into a number pad. Hard to see the key faces, though, as they are greyed.

Its a Compaq but I will see what the Fn key does with it.
Thanks

FN Key did nothing. I keep trying stuff, but so far no luck.

Question.....It did not say Registered User under my name before change. Can an unregistered user post?

Well, that is strange, now it says Warlord or am I loosing it completely????:crazyeye: :hmm:

I have a compaq laptop and I use the arrow keys for horizontal and verical movement and the Home(NW), End(SW), Page Up(NE) and Page Down(SE) keys for diagonals.

I wrote up a little guide that I stuck along the side of the keyboard to remember which key did what for the first few weeks I had the laptop. Since I can't stand the touchpads, I also found myself using the mouse more (click-and-hold for goto) although that function has it own limitations, particularly as regards the date-line and attacking.

I shall give that a shot. I had not considered that. I too will have to put a sticky up as my memory sometimes goes blank.

Have you ever had a worker go nuts and start running all over the place for no apparent reason? I don't automate them as that is a waste, so I have no idea why this fellow is going nuts. If I catch him in a city maybe I can disband him.

TimTheEnchanter said:
I have a compaq laptop and I use the arrow keys for horizontal and verical movement and the Home(NW), End(SW), Page Up(NE) and Page Down(SE) keys for diagonals.

I wrote up a little guide that I stuck along the side of the keyboard to remember which key did what for the first few weeks I had the laptop. Since I can't stand the touchpads, I also found myself using the mouse more (click-and-hold for goto) although that function has it own limitations, particularly as regards the date-line and attacking.

I tried that but no go for me. I keep trying other combos, but so far no luck.

The touch pad is hard to get used to. :cry:

scloopy said:
Have you ever had a worker go nuts and start running all over the place for no apparent reason? I don't automate them as that is a waste, so I have no idea why this fellow is going nuts. If I catch him in a city maybe I can disband him.

Is there a "G" in the middle of his shield? If so, he has been given the GoTo command but it was across the "dateline" and he is trying to find a way going "around the world". Click him once to clear the "G" then reassign him. In general, clicking any unit with a letter on the shield will clear the orders and allow you to reassign him. If they have already used up their movement that turn, you may have to wait a turn. This is one "trick" for "storing" work with Settlers and Engineers: move them toward the next job until there is one little piece of movement allowance left (like 2/3 along a road), then assign them to Mine or transfOrm, then click them again to clear the order. They will store a turn of work while they are on their way to their next job. Be careful not to store too much, or you will end up with Forest on a Grass tile you did not want to change! If you count an Engineer as doing 2 "Settler Turns" of work each turn, a Settler stores one ST each turn, and Engineer two, and most jobs are 5 or 10 turns each (irrigation, mining, etc). Roads are 2ST on clear land, 4 on rough and 6 on mountains.

The blooming thing does not have a G in the shield or at least I think I finally caught him. With the speed of this nutty computer he zooms around so fast I can't be sure at times where things are happening.

scloopy said:
I tried that but no go for me. I keep trying other combos, but so far no luck.

The touch pad is hard to get used to. :cry:

My problem is I guess I am heavy fingered ( ;) ) as I keep sending people into the wrong territory and then my neighbors do not understand that it really was an accident and get a little perturbed. :crazyeye:

Once the dizzy guy has moved he should stay still till the end of the turn; you can click him once to "wake him up" then. If you don't get a "Press ENTER to end your turn", change your Game Options to set "Wait at end of turn" to On.

ElephantU said:
Once the dizzy guy has moved he should stay still till the end of the turn; you can click him once to "wake him up" then. If you don't get a "Press ENTER to end your turn", change your Game Options to set "Wait at end of turn" to On.
I changed the Game Options like you said and I found the crazy fellow. I have no idea what I did to cause him to go nuts, but I hope I don't do it again. Of course it would be really funny one time to do it to everyone at once and see what happens.

I think there's a whole forum (called Stories and tales) that exists for this purpose. Try it out. (This is a quote from a closed thread) I have looked but can not find the thread.

I am getting better, but I still can't knock off everyone else. I ended a game a little while ago with most of the world belonging to me, but there was evidently someone or two somewhere and I could not find them. Very frustrating. I still loose most of the games where I try a military solution but am getting better at getting to Alpha Centuri earlier.

Lots of good teachers here.

Top Bottom