1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by scloopy, Sep 15, 2003.

1. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I never considered that I would have to contend with a senate in a Democrocy. That would drive me nuts. I think I shall see how I do with my little ol' republic.

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

The Senate in Democracy is even more filled with peaceniks than Republic, but they will support you if the AI suprise attacked several times. The power of Democracy is freedom from bribery, setting the Tax/Sci/Lux slider anywhere you want up to 100%, and the extra happy citizen in the capital city and any cities with Courthouse.

3. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I think maybe I shall make another copy of my game in which I have a republic. One I shall continue as a republic and the other I shall have a revolt and become a democracy and see how I come out. Shoud be interesting.

4. MikeLynch

MikeLynch Just a Baker Street Muse

Just don't do like I did and start using Fundamentalism right away. Once you start, you can never pull yourself away. It sucks you in, addicts you, digs its claws deep into you. Save yourself! It is too late for me! :cry:

5. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I shall remember forever Mike, the dangers of Fundamentalism. :lol:

6. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

...and no corruption or waste.:)

7. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

My game as a republic seems to be going better than the one as a Democracy. :confused: It seems that that is backwards. I got to engineers much faster in the Republic. I have everything I need in the Democracy to have engineers, but I don't. :cry: I shall now go to bed and have nightmares about barbarians. :crazyeye:

8. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

Don't we all? :D

Of course, that's Another Sure Sign You've Been Playing Too Much Civ!

9. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

After Republic and Sanitation I am usually not in a rush to get Democracy, unless I'm playing an Early Landing comparison game. I often try to get Explosives and do some terrain transformations before the switch, figuring I'm going to be playing with happiness levels anyway during the transition. The discovery of Explosives is a good time to take a look at your "core" cities and decide whether to do another round of work on the terrain, with an eye toward Refrig/Farmland and a food boost, or focus on more cities offshore. Consider those left-over Settlers as fodder for several distant colonies. Send out a Galleon with two Settlers, a Phalanx/Musketeer and a Diplomat to a decent place and plant a city, work a few roads around the city until it hits size 2, then Join the second settler to the city to make it size 3. Then "celebrate" the city up to size 6-8 and pump out an Engineer.

The kicker in using Democracies is usually taking care of the double happiness hit of military units (including early boats like Trireme and Caravel) away from home. I'm not sure why you are having trouble with Engineers, assuming you have Explosives and a couple extra food sheafs in a city. Like Republic, Engineers take one shield and two food for support.

10. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Oh Well, I have now lost my first game. Those sneaky Russians for some reason took a dislike to me. I was doing pretty good until about 1950 and I took a really wrong turn. I lasted until 2002 but E. Roosevelt will return.

11. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

That is where I really messed up going for the wrong goals and getting enigineers and explosives much too late. The russians got too big of a jump on discoveries on me. I just hope I learned something. I got :nuke:and I felt like :cry:

12. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

NucFission and Manhattan Project are the two things I am most careful with in my games. When I am going for spaceship I try to research it last before SpaceFlight, and never give it away. When I find someone else researching it I tech-bomb them to slow them down. If someone starts Manhattan I try distracting them with GenEng or Commy to see if they will switch. If not they go on the immediate hit list. It has been over a year since the last time an AI built Manhattan. And if I am playing "bloodlust" I rarely let anyone else get to Gunpowder...

13. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

That is where I really goofed up. I somehow made the Russians mad and then let them get the jump on me building planes and such and once I got to that point I was lost, but I think I make the biggest mistakes in the very beginning.

Question:
    When you are new to the game is is the adivce given by the advisors (military and Domestic) the way to go? In other words do they give good advice? Sometimes it seems a little strange.:rolleyes:

14. rponton

rponton Warlord

...my opinion, hell no. The best thing I ever did in this game was to choose to ignore them.

15. MikeLynch

MikeLynch Just a Baker Street Muse

I second rponton's opinion. Think of it this way: they are artificial intelligence. You are real intelligence.

This is also why, if I were you, I wouldn't use autobuild until you've learned how to specify your own list of improvements to build.

16. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I think listening to them is what got me behind. I am still learning how to arrange my goals in order to get what I wish done. I still have not figured a way to change my goals when I realize I am not going in the right directions; but I shall trudge on along. I just started my second game. So I shall see if I have learned anything.

17. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

You can turn the advisors off from the Game Options menu. They are very simplistic. Try to keep your goals simple and realistic, and don't climb the Difficulty Levels until you have mastered the basics.

Consider joining the Game Of the Month group. You download the starting position and play according to some simple rules (no reloading, no "tricks"), then save "snapshots" of your game at AD1 and AD1000 to compare with the rest. A Spoiler thread allows discussion of progress or issues in the game; some of us post detailed logs for others to dissect. It was probably my greatest learning experience for Civ. Searching the Strategy Forums here at CFC and over at Apolyton.Net, or posting a specific question, would probably be the second.

18. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I have been over reading the GOTM and it sounds great. Do I need to wait until the beginning of next month or can I just get a late start? I hope the GOTM group is as kind to a newbie as the ones in this group have been. I bet my scores will take awhile to get above"0" :)

19. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

Ah, but they can be so much fun. To scloopy: next time you're in Anarchy (between government forms), call up a meeting of the High Council, and see what happens. You'll love it!

20. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

About the best that can be said is that they'll tell you what the apparently immediate needs are...according to the AI's definitions. But, as My Favorite Author said, the AI's not exactly the greatest general in the world. You can think, and see where your real needs are, assign your own priorities. Trust your own gut, based on your experience and common sense.