1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by scloopy, Sep 15, 2003.

1. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I have yet to find the high council, but I shall keep looking.

2. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

They're the advisors what want to meet with you all the time. You can call them up yourself from the Advisors menu, "Consult High Council," or some such (unless things are different in ToT). Do so when you're in Anarchy, and you won't get a chance to have a word edgewise; they'll all be shouting at you for 3-4 seconds, then disappear behind a bunch of big red "A"s. You gotta see it to believe it!

3. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

That sounds like great fun to watch. I have ordered Civ II Multiplayer Gold so I can play the game of the month hopefully I will learn. :nono:

Evidently TOT has a lot of differences. I was directed to download a patch for TOT, but I can't figure out which file I should download. (Just a little slow, you know)

4. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

Good luck if you try the GoTM; the current game is at Emperor level. I clearly have to revise my game style to cope with this one. I've managed to keep the tech balanced by building the Great Library, but I've yet to send out a single caravan.

5. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I figure I shall get my brains bashed for a while, but hopefully it shall be a learning experience. :arrow:

Can I go back and get the older games of the month?

6. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

You should be able to, for your own practice; but I don't know if anybody will comment on them, now that they're officially "closed."

Any more on these should probably be taken down to the GoTM section, or in private messages; I think we're starting to drift on topic.

7. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Sorry about the "drift". My mind does wander (as well as wonder). I am thinking about the game I just lost. If I take it back say to where I think I started to go wrong. Will the countries positions on the maps and which countries get involved stay the same? I get the feeling that the AI shifts mental gears regardles of what the player does.

8. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

Here's the link to the archive for GOTM games. Download the Zip-file, extract it to a folder for saved games and start play the one called GOTMXX.sav where XX is a number. After you've played, you can see how the others had done by checking their saved files.

I don't think anyone is bothered with the drift, this thread is about helping grandma and so far so good?:)

9. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

Restarting a saved game will take everything back to that saved position. I think it's a way to (hopefully, on my part!) learn from mistakes and improve play. Lord knows, I've been trying on that Game 33, and I can't make any headway.

(BTW, I guess from funxus' message that some drifting discussion is okay, so don't worry too much. Some discussion communities get picky about moving one atom from subject; others are looser. I'm too new here myself to know for sure -- until now -- so I just dropped a standard caution.)

10. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I just received Civ II MPG and it is so different from TOT. I don't know which came first, but I like Civ II. Are the effects of building a wonder like the Great Library or or the value of Leonardo's Workshop the same in both games?

The Council cracked me up especially when they were screaming and hollaring at one another.:lol: :lol:

11. harperbruce

harperbruce Warlord

I told ya you'd like them. :rotfl:

As for which came first, Civ did...more properly, Civ1. It was written by Sid Meier, a master of game design who doesn't mind retro-looking graphic quality; he prefers good, playable games. The tradition was carried on in Civ2, and I think that was the limit of Sid's actual involvement. (He's written other games, such as Gettysburg (which I have) and Antietam, and I think he's working today for Maxis/Electronic Arts on things for their Sim game line.) The full story is somewhere; anybody know where offhand? (He has nothing to do with Civ3, BTW; putting his name on that was either a contractual obligation or a courtesy. In many's opinion, the quality shows.) :eek:

As for the qualitative effects of the Wonders between Civ2 and ToT, I'm not familiar. The fastest thing to do is open each game and read in the Civilopedia under Wonders; but others will have some idea.

12. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

You were so right, they are a trip.

IMHO Civ II MPG seems to be a better written game than TOT.

I am going to have to start keeping notes about who I am sending where and stuff like that. I get too much going on and first thing you know I have messed up by not following my original plans. Of course the AI seems to be bent on making my life miserable with hords of barbarians no mater what game I play. :lol:

13. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Why would you be able to build fighters before you can build airports? From what I understand they can fly 5 spaces away and 5 back or else they crash land. This seem a little backwards. I know the Wright brothers did not have an airport, but they were not building fighters either.

14. funxus

Maybe the airport should be considered a commercial airport, and assume that all cities have an airbase in the city square (the kind you can build with settlers) to handle the military planes. To build an airplane you don't need an airport, my hometown for example is where Sweden placed its military airplane production in the beginning (the original purpose of SAAB, which can be translated to Swedish Aeroplane Ltd), and our airport is nothing to brag about.:)

15. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I have engineers building airports close to towns, but how do I keep up with where they are. Unless something is flashing on the square, I don't see it at least so far I haven't figured out what it looks like.

16. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Technically, every city has an "airstrip" as soon as it is founded. The "Airport" is really a place that functions like a Barracks for air units, in that it causes new builds to be Vets and allows repair of damaged air units in one turn. It has one extra purpose, though: a single ground unit can be "air transported" between two cities with Airports once per turn, no matter how far.

If you are using Engineers, you are really building an "Airbase", which is an airstrip separate from a city. When it is done (it takes longer in rougher terrain) you will see what looks like an "A" on the tile, and some of the tiles production may change too (I think it acts like Road and Irrigation). The next turn the Engineers will blink that they are ready for reassignment.

17. rponton

rponton Warlord

the airbases are usually a light green color. I don't know how a color blind person can easily see them. Good luck...

18. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

My family is having a ball with me hollaring, "somebody come tell me what color is this ?". [dance]

Can my fighters and other planes land on an airbase that the engineers build?

Now that I am building factories, I am keeping an engineer handy to clean up. Is that a good idea? Maybe my name should be "Question Box instead of Scloopy. :crazyeye:

19. funxus

The color of an airbase is always the same as the last civ that used it, or walked on it I think. The point of an airbase is that airplanes can land on them, whoever built it. Keeping an engineer ready for pollution is a good idea.:)

20. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

Hey I had a good idea for once about the engineers. How about that. Would it be wise to build airports in the bigger cities or the coastal cities?