Brand New Grandma to this type of game. Help, Please?

if you want you can chance the setting for barbarians at start of game . they come out of darkness so explore as fast as you can. they also land ships so leave so men along your coasts to alert you when they land. also build diplomats they can bribe them to your side cheap. also if you kill the barbarians king he is worth money so look for him . good luck

If you have problems with barbs in huts, there is a way to prevent them from appearing when you pop the hut. If it's early on and I plan to found a city in the vicinity of the hut anyway, instead of pooping the hut on discovery, I sometimes move a settler to the area and found a city so that the hut will be within that city's area, i.e. it shows up in the city screen. Then I build my first defense in the city, which pops the hut, and since it's too close to a city, there is no risk of getting barbs from it.:)

Hey I like that idea. Those blooming idiots drive me nuts. They keep coming and coming and getting killed. I had a diplomat but they killed the first one before he could offer a bribe. The weird thing was that the next one offered the bribe and they accepted and then I had two diplomats somehow. :confused:

Originally posted by scloopy
The weird thing was that the next one offered the bribe and they accepted and then I had two diplomats somehow. :confused:
Maybe, you bribed their leader, who, if you attack him with a military unit, will give you a certain amount of money depending on the level of barb activity you chose for the game. Since normal civs cannot have a barb leader as a unit, it becomes a diplomat when bribed.

Now that is really weird. A barb turns into a diplomat - magic I suppose. :mutant:

A barb turns into a diplomat - magic I suppose. :mutant:

Dont forget that all leaders need to be diplomats (able to tell big lies and still look very serious and reliable) if they wish to remain leaders (in RL, I mean ;) ).

In the game, you must learn to recognize the leaders, because if you try to bribe them they turn to diplomats, but if you attack them you get gold (up to 150g).

I have killed several leaders and gotten gold, but they still keep coming. Will they stop now that I have bribed them?

had to correct spelling am fumble fingered this morning.

No, the barbs will keep coming, but by expanding you can prevent them from showing up on land, and only have them show up in sea vessels now and then. You can also reduce them to "Villages Only", when you start a new game, if you don't want to deal with them before you feel more confident.:)

I keep trying to play the game without giving myself too many breaks, but I am beginning to think I should start at the easiest and just have nice happy little huts full of nice happy people and no barbs. But I probably would be bored with the game if it was simple. Will you come and visit me when the put me in the CivII nut house? :aargh:

Will this game play on XP? I am building a new computer and can not decide weather or not to upgrade to XP

Yes it will, but you may have to work out some kinks in it to do so. I had a bit of an issue getting mine to run, but I think it was more related to the network I had set up rather than the game.

Also, feel free to post any screenshots or saved game files if you have a specific situation you want advice on.

Thanks much. When I get messed up I go back to try to see where I went wrong and try try again. I have been Elizabeth the Miserable twice now and that is two times too many.

Thanks much. When I get messed up I go back to try to see where I went wrong and try try again. I have been Elizabeth the Miserable twice now and that is two times too many.

Well, that may be something better than Whatever the Gluttinous, but Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).l :rolleyes:

Will you come and visit me when the put me in the CivII nut house? :aargh:

Too late; we all already there. We has met the madmen, and they is US! :crazyeye:

(With many thanks and apologies to Pogo)

Oh; I do miss Pogo. :lol:

How do you get other cities to send trade caravans to you or can you? Or would you want to?

The most common is that the AI send a single caravan through your whole empire from a neighbouring civ, and then deliver it when it reaches a dead end... At least that's how they do it mostly as I remember.

I've installed Civ2 in XP 3 times, and it has worked like a charm all of them.

I am so glad it will run on XP. I like 98SE but may end up with XP on the new one I am building.

I wondered if they did trade with us as I on one occasion saw a caravan from another kingdom, but it seemed to just wander back and forth over about 4 empty spaces and never went anywhere.

AI caravans seem to have particular destinations pre-programmed, and if they have trouble getting there (dead-end terrain issues usually) they tend to wander back and forth. There was some suspicion that they were spying out your terrain but then someone else proved that they knew the whole map from the beginning anyway.

The key thing the AI need to start trading with you, if they are ever going to in the first place, is the Trade tech. Many of them never have the leisure time to build caravans anyway. They are not even as good as you at dealing with Barb attacks, or trying to keep up with city improvements or tech research. I usually only see a few AI caravans in the course of a decent game, one in which everyone has been pacified into Republics or Democracies and no one is battling over shared continents. If the AI caravan is far from home you can think about bribing it; it may cost less than building one locally, and if it is closer to one of your own cities it may "re-home" to your city, giving you a free local commodity that you did not have before.

The primary problem with running Civ2 on XP is the video drivers. Check the Tech Support forum for instructions on updating the Indeo drivers if you have trouble with the videos in XP. Others report it does work fine once the drivers are updated.

Barbarians come from three places: Huts, unsettled land (defined as land that is not in the city radius of any city, or does not have any improvements on it, like roads or irrigation), and pirates (Barb ships that land groups of Barb units). Pirates seem to "spawn" somewhere at sea once every 16 turns, starting on the 16th turn, so you should not worry about city garrisons until 3200BC (depending on the Difficulty level you are playing). Pirates spawn first; later in the game you will get "Barbarian Uprising" messages. The discovery of Mobile Warfare eliminates the threat of new pirate ships. As time goes on the number of barbs that will come from one landing or uprising increases, and do not depend on the load limits of a ship either: I have seen 3-4 Barb units debark from a Frigate, for example (load limit 2).

As far as settings, when I started I rapidly progressed from Cheiftain level to King level, then started learning the tricks of happiness maintenence. I had Barbs at Villages Only, but when I found out about bribing and "ransoming" Barb Leaders I set my Barb setting up to Raging Hordes. As my skills at combatting the AI increased the Raging Barbs were the only serious challenge left to master, as they were so unpredictable. Now I look forward to their appearance, even trying to cause some Uprisings by leaving vacant land for them to spawn in. When you are really in the groove we'll tell you about Barb Farms...

I do think maybe I should have started at Cheiftain instead of King. I do believe it would have been smarter on my part, but sometime smarts are not part of my personality. Being older does not mean I do be smarter.

I am fixing to change my video card this thing is set so you can have two monitors and it causes problems with some stuff anyway. Leave it to me to not read everything on the box.

I think I have made a hugh mistake in my game, I put all the wonders in the same city and the cost is too much.

Top Bottom