1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brass Tacks: Start with resizing the map

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by Konig15, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

OK, I'm ready to start cutting my teeth, to make a proof of concept for a couple of maps: I'm gonna try and keep this simple:

Project 1 (Worldwar 44):
    Gonna use the Imperialism 3 map
    1. I need to resize the Venus and Moon map from Escape from Sol, as well s the Mars map from Mars ToT
    Edit: found the TOT map editor. Great news, I can resize. Bad news, I need the map to FILL the space with the map arleady there, not add heaps of ocean. But it's a start.
    All those maps are compatible with each other, but I need to have them fill more space to match up with the 144X227 dimensions of the Imperialism Giga map.
    2. Need to reset game parameters for the IMperialism map, reset the rules. For Worldwar, I want raging barbarians because at least for the race, occupying the chilly egg of Tosev 3 is an utter nightmare
    3. Is there a way to reset the causality count and all that other data, and wipe all the units away?
    4. Is there a way to edit cities at will? City Tweak won't work on multiple maps and besides, I can't get it working on Windows 10 anyway. More to the point, some cities need to go away entirely, but I need all the capacities of city tweak,
    5. Is there a way to add/remove rivers within the game?
    6. How do I manually put resources wherever I want?

Project 2 (Fallout):
    Gonna use USA2013, but again I need to expand it to the largest capacity
    7. I need to expand the oceans a bit, so I can put the Oil rig about five spaces away from San Fransisco. Honestly, I'd like to add Hawaii to the Scenario, if only in the corner
    8. I'm gonna make an underground version of the same map, and plan out what Vault/bunker/dungeon crawling might be like. I think I have the assets to make a proof of concept.
    9. How much ocean do I need for the underground part? Cause if I can get away with it, I'd like minimal ocean and the use the Sea bed as a possible place to make undersea cities, as a late-game option.
    10. I want pollution, especially leftover pollution to be a huge HUGE thing people have to worry about, but I want to make sure it cannot cause the global warming effect. Is there a way to do this?
    11. The new terrains, can I implement them in ANY ToT scenario, including conversions to from MGE? Or do I need to start over?
    12. What can the new terrians do? Can they only act like plains? Or can they have "terrain 2" features like mountains and hills and forests? And can they act like grassland, with random shields everywhere? I want terraforming and rebuilding to be a HUGE part of the is mod, so ideally, they'red be a wasteland version of all the non-mountains/hills that could be gecked into pristine versions.
    13. When I 'export' a map to make it civmap compatible, what does the new terrain tern into? When I load the newly created map?
    14. Is there a giga map of North America I'm not aware of? I'd prefer a huge map hat includes Jeanneau and two spaces above so it's not on the map edge but at least the inhabited belt of Canada, the Carribean, and as much of Mexico and Central America as possible. Seizing the Panama Canal, or what's left of it, could actually be a great side quest. And it could provide trading partners.

15. And when making unit lists for showing off the potentials, what are the unit slots that are special? The ones that barbarians generate from, the ones that can come out of goody huts gone wrong, the partisan unit, the one that has spy capacity, the one that acts as freight instead of mere caravan. I don't think those are modible in the rules files, not that I've seen. And the thing is, you don't have to write down that info, only link where I can find it, in the contect of ToT of course.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  2. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

Not sure about getting rid of the casualty count, but wiping all the units is one line of lua code in the console

Code:
    for unit in civ.iterateUnits() do civ.deleteUnit(unit) end

I don't know all the features of City Tweak, but the Lua Console gives you plenty of power (in principle it should let you do basically anything, but some features were overlooked).

The Lua Function Reference tells you what you can do. The first two or three Lua Lessons should give you enough information to do most of what you need to in the console.

CTRL-9 in cheat mode.

See the patch description in the TOTPP Launcher.

Since you are copying maps, you might find these scripts helpful:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lua-scripting-possibilities.627220/page-10#post-15319370

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lua-scripting-possibilities.627220/page-10#post-15320050

3. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

OK, the CTRL-9 this is AMAZING! Thank you for that. I see how powerful the Lua can be. I need to learn that when I'm not having sleeping problems. In the meantime, are you saying that A. Maps can be expanded and filled with Lua and B. Lua is the only way to do it, and everything else is just gonna give a lot of ocean?

If that's the cse, then I have another question: In the Earth apocalypse map, Antarctica is right in the middle of the Atlantic. I don't want that map, but if I could big it up to max size and take that version of antarica, then cut and paste it to another giga map in the Souhern Indian Ocean then glacier it over there actual colonization and terrforming potential, that'd be awesome, EVEN if it causes some slight howls.

4. Prof. Garfield

I'm never going to assert that Lua is the only way to do anything, but that is the part of scenario making that I am familiar with. The scripts I've provided are for copying maps of the same size, but it shouldn't be too difficult to write a script to copy part of a map and paste it somewhere else.

5. Prof. Garfield

Here's a module to copy and paste portions of a map. Use loadScript to access the functions. The usage prototype should be printed to the console.

Most arguments are numbers, but fileName should be something "myCopiedRegion.lua" (include quotation marks).

These have not been rigorously tested, so let me know if you run into problems (even if it is not clear how to use the module). Let me know if you want to preserve the fertility values of the original map (e.g. if you want the ai to settle normally), and I'll adjust the code.

6. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

Actually I have more basic questions: Lua events are not working for me, even in scenarios. I checked with Napoleon the first and OTR. And BTW, Goddamn, that's impressive. That's amazing, I'm overwhelmed and ecstatic. But the thing says there's an error logged into the console, which I don't know what that means nor how to access it. Something about lua.65 module civlua is not found, and there's a whole leap of other lau funtions not found so I'm thinking I need to download something first. If I can get that up and running, then yeah, I'm gonna see out resizing the map.

7. Prof. Garfield

When you installed Test of Time Patch Project 15.1, did you extract the contents of the download into your main Test of Time directory? Or, did you extract them into a sub directory (probably named TOTPPv015.1 or something similar). Your Test of Time directory should have a 'lua' folder, which should contain civlua.lua, functions.lua, and init.lua.

8. Prof. Garfield

Not sure how I forgot to actually upload the module...

Attached Files:

9. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

I dunno. I found a TOT thing in fie parts and I just extracted them as is, and it had TOTPP on it. It was awesome. And now it won't work since I ran the batch file on A House Divided. It loads then freezes immediately, and I don't have a clue why.