1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World Discount

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by gargoyle575, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veneke

Veneke King

No, I don't think that's quite the same thing. The difference here is that BNW is, essentially, an upgrade to G&K. The primary issue here isn't that they were purchased separately, but rather that the subsequent purchases include material for prior purchases. I don't go away and buy the Gold edition, for instance, because I'd be paying for stuff I've already bought. However, when the upgrade to my existing game comes prepackaged with such material I'm effectively paying twice for the same thing and the option to avoid purchase of already purchased material is not there.

G&K is already a prerequisite to play BNW, what's happening now is that they've just decided to bundle G&K with BNW and not differentiate between those who have already purchased G&K and those who have not.

Speaking solely to the BNW features - yeah, it'll be worth every penny. I've been supporting the Civ series since the original and I've yet to be disappointed with it (even Vanilla Civ 5 was bearable... kinda). I suspect a great number of others feel similarly. However, what OP is getting at is how someone who purchased G&K must pay the same price for BNW as someone who did not purchase G&K despite the fact that the latter is also gaining the G&K features for free.

Personally, I'm on the fence about the discount or some kind of G&K prerequisite. I reckon either would be a good move to reward loyal customers. On the other hand, there would obviously be a cost involved of lost earnings that 2K/Firaxis would be unlikely willing to bear and they'll risk alienating any potential new customers who might come across BNW when those new customers realize that they have to purchase a different expansion pack to get what they actually want. There's also the more general point to be made that, irrespective of what 2K/Firaxis decide or what we think of their decision, we'll still buy their stuff. Why? 'cause it's Civ.

This is... I mean like really. If you're going to use metaphors at least make them so that they support your own argument. You already get a discount on purchasing an iPhone 5 if you have an iPhone 4 by trading it in, this has been common practice in the mobile phone industry for years.

2. Martinus

Martinus Emperor

The argument that you should get a discount on BNW because you bought G&K is ridiculous. Sure, if you bought G&K two weeks ago at full price, you can feel screwed, but then it's your fault for not researching the product properly.

But if you bought G&K a year ago, on release, then you already consumed your added value in the form of being able to play G&K for a year.

3. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

I have no idea what you are on OP, But I want it real bad. *Shakes*

4. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Stopped by to say this, but you've beaten me to it! So: +1.

Not to mention you can get BNW on GMG for $20, fully a third off the msrp.

5. gargoyle575

gargoyle575 Chieftain

The argument that I should have researched the product first is ridiculous. How would one go about researching a product that doesn't exist? Nearly everyone didn't know BNW existed until it was announced in March, I bought G&K on release day. So as I said, how would I have researched a product that didn't exist when I picked up G&K?

For me it's not 20$ it's the same as the steam price of 30$.

6. codepoet

codepoet Commander of Cubicle 42

So you want something for nothing. You had G&K for it's release time. If they must give you a discount, then you must give back the value you received. Besides... you spent your money, so you must have thought the purchase was worth it at the time. If you feel slighted now, you can still decide not to buy BNW. You'll still have your G&K content and it will still work. You lose nothing with BNW's release.

7. codepoet

codepoet Commander of Cubicle 42

Ok the original metaphore is not spot on, but on the right track. This is actually more like buying a handsfree set for your iPhone. (An expansion to your iPhone's features... it works fine without it). Then you later buy a new product that is released that has a new way of doing hands-free. Should you get the discount because you already owned the other handsfree set? It works fine as it was designed, the new one just has an extra feature to directly connect to the tv monitor in your house or something. Nope, you don't get a discount.

8. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

Another one of these topics? This is like Spain in G&K all over again.

Oh, so you had G&K for a year now? Good, you got value out of your purchase. Anyone who didn't buy G&K but is getting BNW was stuck with Vanilla Civ V rules (and still is until next week) and won't get the 9 new civs that came with G&K. There you go

9. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Read his post again...:rolleyes:

Get the promo code, search buttons are your friend.:goodjob:

10. gargoyle575

gargoyle575 Chieftain

You're right, the people who didn't buy G&K don't get the 9 civs or the scenarios from it with BNW. But if you buy BNW you still get a part of G&K for free. Hence the word "discount" - to deduct an amount from the usual price of something. I never said I want all of my money back, just what the G&K content put into BNW is worth.

11. Jerman

Jerman Would you like a Trade Agreement?

Short answer: Not everything goes your way deal with it.

Moderator Action: quote altering, calling other users names and generally being a troll is not an acceptable posting style around here. Please refrain from such posts in the future. - ori
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

12. m15a

m15a Emperor

you're not paying anything for the G&K content in BNW. they put no additional development work into those parts, and they're not advertising the G&K content as new content. BNW costs the same as G&K. if Firaxis had a simple way of selling a version of BNW without any G&K content, they would charge $30. so, basically, you're complaining about not getting a $0 discount.

13. theadder

theadder Prince

Pretend that it was $40 and that you got it reduced to $30.

In all seriousness, the best thing to do seems to be to come to terms with it. This isn't a model that is either workable or going to happen for Civ.

14. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Good luck convincing Firaxis/2K about that...from their perspective, they probably see the two expansions as progressive enhancements that each required a development budget that they want to see a payoff for. I don't think you have much chance of seeing any love for your idea but if it makes you feel better to complain, by all means go ahead since it's your right to do so. For me, I'm happy to pay for both and the discounted price I got through GMG ($20.25) seems fair to me, considering that some expansions cost me over $35 each from other developers.

15. gargoyle575

gargoyle575 Chieftain

This is what I started to think about. I would say that the new content in BNW is probably worth more 30$ anyway. And at this point I can see Firaxis won't be changing it anytime soon.

Moderator Action: Deleted the trolling. Please report posters who troll instead of answering them.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

16. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.