1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World - Hall of Fame discussion

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Mesix, Jul 9, 2013.

1. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

Probably, yeah.

But please don't submit them yet, just keep them in your save folder until we're officially open.

2. sanabas

Submit away...

If you're clicking through turns for a time game, make sure you don't accidentally give yourself a diplo win with 100 turns left, because you think you're voting for the host. :blush:

3. Xger

Xger Prince

When we will see BNW on the boards? Next update?

4. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

Yes, next update.
    Then, the new BNW gauntlets will start.

5. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Just as a reminder: I think the default view for the HoF should be changed to BNW (instead of GnK) in all instances just about when those BNW Gauntlets start - at the very latest :p

6. sanabas

VVV scoring revamp may take a bit longer. But doubt we'll have anybody finishing VVV in the first update. Unless I really want to ignore sleep and force myself to play 20 duel games...

If you've got ideas about VVV, if you've got things you like or don't like about VVV works currently, etc, etc, I suggest getting involved in http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=493663&page=5

7. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

This is what I am looking forward to!

8. Xger

Xger Prince

9. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Guys... I just got Hearthstone Beta access. No competition from me for some time I guess :o

10. sanabas

@xger: hmmm, maybe I will avoid sleep then. don't have a lot I need to do this week...

Wonder how close I can get without cheesy games? Apart from the required games on the smaller maps/easier levels. ~30 std+, prince+ games in a week or so...

11. Xger

Xger Prince

Oh I don't have near the time needed to not do this cheesy style. I'm out of town this weekend and work full time. I'm not even convinced I'll finish it. I really need to figure out the best way to do the large and huge maps as those are easily the most time consuming.

12. Airny

Airny Warlord

I disagree with the direction many commentators want to move into.
    The HoF should restrict people from as few submissions as possible.

My appeal to "the administration":
    Don't restrict submission.
    Use tailored filter to get the tables you want to use, especially the once giving prestige to its submitters.

This depends of course on the view which you have about the HoF.
    I think it should be a database for competition, comparison and evaluation.
    In general the database should be as large as possible, I think no one argues about that.

I liked it in Civ4. It was not very restrictive.
    You knew by heart which settings were allowed and therefore you could submit most of your games.
    This gives the players the possibility to compare results with others who had the exact same settings (abusive or not).

Another suggestion for the "Rules/FAQ" section:
    The list of rules is branching out on different parts, you can easily overlook some.
    You should probably separate the rules for the different versions.
    I can't imagine someone needs to see the rules for a version, which he does't submit for.

13. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

I totally don't follow what this is all about... it can only be about (right?) making long lasting games (larger maps on epic/marathon) more of an option towards small/quick games as until now those medals would be worth the same, but someone going for quick games of course can maybe make 10 games per month while the other guy just manages 1 or 2.

In that thread... everything is a) too much to read and b) way to complicated? Why the heck would anyone want rules that make submissions less worth based upon the number of submissions? It's already included in the multipliers below 1 for quick/small, isn't it?

I don't think anything should be changed for the VVV other than the multipliers if they haven't already.

14. sanabas

I'd already done the large, and started a huge deity game (admittedly somewhat easy for deity, with a water map and a seagoing civ) last night. It's been dragging on a bit, the world insists on going to war with me instead of passively waiting for my tourism to overrun them. :lol: But I'm having a lot of fun.

Not sure what you mean by this. Civ 4 required you to use the hof mod, so was restrictive in that sense. I certainly don't think civ5 is more restrictive, and I do know by heart which settings I can have (promotion saving, disable start bias I almost always have on, policy saving, no barbs I have permanently off). BNW significiantly reduces players' ability to exploit the gold training mechanics, which I think were the biggest difference between HoF rules and what many people simply regard as optimal play. Most players who aren't using mods could be confident of submitting any of their normal games and having them accepted, with the exception of those with policy saving/no barbs. I certainly don't have to think about my settings, I just pick my civ/difficulty/maptype, decide whether start bias is on or off, and away I go. Nothing else ever changes, apart from the occasional urge to play with raging barbs or OCC.

Mostly, yeah. The current scoring system has an obvious bias towards smaller maps, quicker games. Both because they're faster to play, and because they're the tables that offer gold medals. It's also designed to encourage people to fill empty tables, that they'll get at least some reward for playing a game.

It's not complicated, it's just explained in detail so people can read it and offer constructive criticism, as a couple already have. The tl:dr version is pretty simple. And there's no guarantee that's what we go with, either. It's just my personal idea.

We already have games being worth less, or even worth nothing, based on number of submissions. Doesn't matter how good a huge/king+ game you play in BNW, the absolute most it can currently be worth is a bronze medal. And only worth that if you pick & beat one of the 10 existing games. In the last two updates before BNW was released, I made an effort to get at least one medal for each civ, 1 for each maptype. I was very restricted in what map/civ/difficulty/VC combo I could use, because almost all of them were deemed worthless by the current scoring system. But if I wanted to play some duel games, I'd have had heaps of options, and all of them worth more, based on the number of existing submissions.

15. Airny

Airny Warlord

Actually I am not sure which settings are allowed for BnW.
    About restrictions:
    1. I am unabe to change #civ and #cs at all
    2. No DLC allowed
    3. I can live with the rest of the restrictions currently in place. I am just concerned about the direction in which the discussion seems to move.

16. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

DLC is allowed except for vanilla. :)

17. sanabas

Yep, you need to use the default number of AIs and CSs.

As Peets said, DLC wonders and civs are fine for both G&K and BNW.

18. Calis

Calis on time

Not sure, whether I ever will participate in the HoF, but is it a problem to submit saves, when I play in German language version of BNW?

19. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Hehe no, the game language makes no difference for the savefile/format.

Concerning what is allowed (and useful):
    Promotion saving - allowed.
    Landscape specifications for your Map like Hot, Cold, Temperate, Wet, Moderate, Arid, Sea Level etc. - allowed.
    Quick Combat/Movement - allowed. (obviously) :p

20. Xger

Xger Prince