Brave New World: New Wonders

wonder poll results:
After 136 votes (+29)
Wonders with at least 25 votes:

1. Versailles - 67 (+13)
1. Great Sphinx - 67 (+18)
3. Panama Canal - 66 (+9)
4. Parthenon - 59 (+12) - confirmed as a wonder in BNW when it was on the 4th place
5. Three Gorges Dam - 55 (+10)
6. Large Hadron Collider - 52 (+8)
7. Swedagon Paya - 47 (+9)
8. Ishtar Gate - 45 (+9)
8. St. Peter's Basilica - 45 (+10)
10. Colosseum - 44 (+10)
11. Borobudur - 39 (+12) - confirmed as a wonder in BNW when it was on the 11th place
11. Dome of the Rock - 39 (+10)
13. Empire State Building - 37 (+5)
14. Pantheon - 36 (+6)
15. Florence Cathedral - 35 (+11)
15. Potala Palace - 35 (+8)
17. University of Sankore - 33 (+9)
18. Spiral Minaret - 29 (+9)
19. Mount Rushmore - 26 (+3)

Having wonders restricted to certain ideologies would be beautiful as the Statue of Liberty benefiting an Order civ is currently strange. Motherland Calls could be the Order equivalent of SoL since they're both chicks.

Hoping for St. Peter's Basilica, Dome of the Rock and Solomon's Temple, let's get some sweet religious bonuses!

not so happy with Globe Theatre (The ancient Greek theatres like in Epidaurus impress me more) and Broadway as wonders, but I understand their importance.

BNW has been confirmed to include 8 new wonders. Four have been officially confirmed:

~The Parthenon
~Globe Theatre
~The Uffizi
~Broadway

...and two more are highly likely , coming directly from the Civ5 website's background:

~Borobudur
~The Motherland Calls

So, what do you guys think? There is a distinct lack of African wonders and a 'Scramble for Africa' scenario is shipping with the expansion, so an African wonder might be appropriate, no?

So, what do you guys think? There is a distinct lack of African wonders and a 'Scramble for Africa' scenario is shipping with the expansion, so an African wonder might be appropriate, no? As usual, my poll selections are grossly opinionated, so I included an 'other' space for suggestions.

I would suspect the Churches of Lalibela might make an appearance, as could Fasil Ghebbi. Great Zimbabwe would be cool too if they're not a civ.

Personally, i would love to see some canal addition. I am sick and tired of having to put random cities on continents just so my navy can go through.

So far we know half of the wonders. Here are the other halfs I think will be presented in BNW:

1. Grand Canyon, Victoria Falls, or Mt. Everest (more natural wonders)
2. Panama Canal (very large trading canal, also, Panama could be a CS)
3. Brooklyn or Golden Gate Bride, or Empire State Building (why not? they can generate a lot of tourism)
4. idk. maybe a dam like the Hoover Dam or Three Gorges Dam

I think both the Empire State Building and the Panama Canal are long overdue for inclusion.

I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned but, with the new focus on international trade, I'd love to see a "Marco Polo's Expedition" wonder-or something like that. Maybe it can give you free caravans and/or give a significant boost to the impact of existing international trade routes (trade, tourism & faith principally).

Also, I'd love to see a return of the "King Richard's Crusade" Wonder-with an obvious faith/tourism element to it this time around!

Aussie.

I would like to see the Belem Tower in the game, but I must admit its a long shot. The Belem Tower is a defensive tower on the mouth of the river Tagus at Lisbon. It was commissioned by the King John II and its a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It main function was to defend the capital from naval attacks and to give protection for trade ships. Here is the wikipedia page about the Belem Tower: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belem_Tower

If, in the remote possibility, it makes into the game it might enhance the defensive bonus of a coastal city or provide defensive points for cargo ships, or even increase the number of maritime trade routes. I know there are too many worthy wonders all around the world that haven't been introduced into the game, but hey... I couldn't keep from sharing my point of view with you. Any comments?

I was thinking about this yesterday for some reason, and came up with an awesome wonder idea out of Constantinople:

The Golden Horn: Melee ships can't attack the city that builds this wonder. (can still be bombarded, though)

"Battleship Island" could be a national wonder, while Coastal Fortresses would give enemy melee ships a penalty to attacking the cities they're in.

Just some thoughts. :)

I was thinking about this yesterday for some reason, and came up with an awesome wonder idea out of Constantinople:

The Golden Horn: Melee ships can't attack the city that builds this wonder. (can still be bombarded, though)

"Battleship Island" could be a national wonder, while Coastal Fortresses would give enemy melee ships a penalty to attacking the cities they're in.

Just some thoughts. :)

I had a similar idea out of the Belem Tower at Lisbon expressed in my last post. The Belem Tower also provided protection for cargo ships and defense against invading ships.

Seeing as this is an ideaology expansion wouldn't the Reichstag be a good wonder to bonus the Autocracy branch?
So far it seems that the Statue of Liberty is for Democracy/Capitalism
The Motherland Calls is for Communism
So why not have the Reichstag bonus Facism? But then again one could say that the Brandenburg Gate could do that.

Of all these wonders I would take Panama Canal. Not because of the "building" itself, but because I think this could be an graphical improvement like The Great Wall covering several tiles (2-3 tiles) but working like an improvement that allows units (at least trade units) to move though a narrow landmass of 2-3 tiles giving the owner an opportunity to trade with more civs. Of course not everyone could use this feature, but many worlds would benefit from this.

When you've building the wonder you select where to place it. You could also get taxes if other civs were using it. This also means you could build it outside your territory. I know it might be a bit "controversial" but it could be a great feature of a wonder just like when UI where added with the polynesian civ.

As an alternative Panama could be added as a special CS that was added if there was this narrow landmass. The wonder could only be built with enough techs of course aswell as being friends with Panama or have conquered it. I like the first idea the best though.

Do I have to mention that a Panama Canal for enhanced trading would fit very well into this expansion?

Motherland Calls: either greater Ideology effective pressure or greater resistance to Ideology pressure. Industrial Era
You really seem to like "pressure" wonders :) What about "1 (or 2) free tenat for your ideology? Industrial / modern era oracle, which gives 1 free SP.

Potosi was definitely significant in history. A couple others were fairly significant as well. The Rock of Gibraltar allowed for control of the strait of Gibraltar being a nearly invincible natural fortress to attack and allowing for control of Mediterranean trade.
The english built several miles of tunnels into the rock and placed cannons all the way through the tunnels. Besides the current benefits of the rocks it (or a little less) it could be cool if you could build an improvement (or special wonder) as the civilization owning the rock and have a fortress shooting at ships and units within two tiles (they actually shot towards the spanish mainland). Could be really great with such an improvement / wonder.

There is some hope though that old wonders might get new effects. the Colossus was never top tier, but now that coasts and rivers don't give any gold it might be downright useless and won't get anybody to suddenly work coast tiles. I predict that it will now increase the number of available naval trade routes. If we don't get another wonder that increases land trade routes Petra would fit the bill, but it's already situationally OP. Adding another effect would make it ridiculously powerful and replacing the old effect with added trade routes would lead to a lot of rage for people who love it. Maybe if they ditch the free Theater and the culture bonus after researching Archeology one additional land trade route would be reasonable.
Who says coasts don't give any trade?

Top Bottom