1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World: New Wonders

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by sukritact, Mar 15, 2013.

1. LordDavius

LordDavius Chieftain

How certain are we about The Motherland Calls and Borobudur? IIRC, the loading screen for Civ IV featured Florence Cathedral, which was notably missing from the game's wonder list...

2. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

3. LordDavius

LordDavius Chieftain

4. Sporally

Sporally Chieftain

Copied from another thread - hoping that you guys know something more about this:

5. alpha2117

alpha2117 Chieftain

I was thinking with the new Ideologies (Communism, Facism, Democracy) that perhaps those extra Wonders might fit with those. We've already seen Motherland Calls so could we perhaps see Mt Rushmore and something like the Zeppelintribune as the last two wonders. They would fit that new element and both are visually striking in the same way Motherland calls is.

6. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Like I mentioned in another thread, it would be great to see the Gustav Gun as a wonder. A wonder weapon, that is. Maybe a souped-up artillery unit with 4 range.

7. g3istbot

g3istbot Space Squid from SPACE

I'd like to see the Spring Temple Buddha included as a world wonder; it's a recent "wonder", but it is currently the largest standing statue at 420 feet. Would provide bonuses to :c5faith:and :c5culture:.

Also; does any one else think that maybe religious world wonders should get extra bonuses if your following that religion?

8. SamBC

SamBC Chieftain

Religions are interchangeable - you can have Buddhist mosques.

9. g3istbot

g3istbot Space Squid from SPACE

Just thought of another one while I was running around on Wikipedia - The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956; probably a better name for it or something, but it was a huge event in the United States, and really is a modern wonder. Bonuses could be +:c5food: +:c5gold: +tourism, and +1 movement for all units on a tile with roads.

10. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

If you were to add a highway system as a wonder (Which I wouldn't want to do), I would prefer the Autobahn over the Eisenhower highways. Could work as an Autocracy-based wonder too since they have the Motherland Calls as a Soviet wonder

11. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

What would it do though? Speed up movement along roads?

Seems useless as most people would have railroads by then anyway.

12. IkM

IkM Chieftain

Selimiye Mosque must be in.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

13. RX2000

RX2000 Chieftain

I wish Broadway would give hit musicals like it did in Civ 4, & I wish they would bring back Hollywood to give hit movies. Rock & Roll would be cool to have in again as well.

14. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Also, according to xkcd, the Eisenhower US Interstate Highway System it was arguably the single most expensive public works project in history.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

If you got gold for road tiles, it would allow you to build road spam, which was one of the big reasons they made roads into a money sink in the first place.

16. MARDUK80

MARDUK80 Chieftain

I think it might be cool bonus if you could get Faith from road tiles by a World Wonder or some other way.

It would remind the Mayan Sacbes which connected temples, plazas, and groups of structures within ceremonial centers or cities, and The Holy Way which led from Bohemia to Meissen and ran between Grillenburg through Tharandt_Forest and to Wilsdruff.

Perhaps it would be a road which connects two Holy Cities (or Religious City State) and later in the game could provide Tourism bonus and as the road tiles cost maintenance no reason to start spam them even with a Faith bonus.

17. BBJBS

BBJBS Chieftain

I'm hoping one of them's going to be the Berlin Wall, and partially block offensive culture or something like that.

18. whyidie

whyidie Chieftain

Even more reason to build the wonder. First game in G&K I'd probably want to build it just so I could go road crazy :)

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

That's an interesting idea. It was less than effective in that regard, though, if you think about that. Really, that's what the Great Firewall should do.

20. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

From what I can gather though, offensive culture is Tourism, which the Berlin Wall was pretty good at stopping