1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World - The First Three Civs

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by bite, Mar 29, 2013.

1. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

With PAX East over we can go through and look at the first three civs that have been announced for Brave New World.

And now in Alphabetical order -

Assyria

Spoiler :

Assyria looks like it is going to be a very interesting civilization led by the king with the mighty braided beard; Ashurbanipal. From its many features, it looks like it could be a very versatile civilization. The combination of its Catapult replacement, the Siege Tower, and its unique ability the 'Treasures of Ninevah', which allow the Assyrian to capture one Tech they don’t own from each City they conquer, could mean that they could be a power house in the early game. Let it be known now, your cities will not be safe with Assyria around. However, the Assyrian's Unique Building the Royal Library (which has yet to have all its information fully revealed) could mean that it also will be setting itself up to be a possible contender for the Science Victory.

Brazil

Spoiler :

Brazil is led by the seated and also wonderfully bearded Pedro II. Brazil is a civilization that seems like it will make the most of the new Tourism and Great Works features. Brazil's Unique Ability is the Carnival which replaces their Golden Era. While there is a little bit of differing information as to what the Carnival does, one thing is clear - it will dramatically boost Brazil's Tourism rate. This can be even more effective when their Unique Unit the Brazilian Expeditionary Force gets unlocked as they if successful in combat generate Golden Age points. As well as this, the Brazilians get the Unique Tile Improvement Brazilian Wood Camp, which gives +1 gold on those sometimes useless Jungle tiles and eventually they also give +1 Culture, meaning suddenly Jungle could be a go to location at the end of the game for this Civ.

Poland

Spoiler :

The last civilization on our list that has been revealed is Poland, ruled by Casimir III, sporting once again a magnificent beard. Poland is a civilization that has a heavy focus on mounted units. Their Unique Unit is the Winged Hussar, a mounted united designed to take out other mounted units and it seems like it can force other units to withdraw, allowing the creation of some very unique tactics. As well as this, the Polish Unique Building the Ducal Stable gives pastures a boost to gold production and boosts the production of mounted units. If Poland is near you it is clear that you better invest in some Pikemen! However, Poland also gets a free Social Policy at the start of each new Era thanks to their Solidarity unique ability which could give them a clear edge over time.

While these are the first three civilizations there are still 6 more yet to be released, so stay tuned.

For a quick rundown of all the new information you can go to our thread in the Civ 5 BNW forums

Or for a more detailed explanation please visit forum user AriochIV's Well of Souls website

Or simply visit the Brave New World Forum where you can ponder what the last 6 six civilizations will be, debate what that obscure pixel in the screenshot means for the game, or which bearded leader has the most epic facial decoration.

2. Mathalamus

Mathalamus Emperor of Mathalia

is this Civilizations, or countries? only Poland, and [probably Assyria is a Civilization in itself.

3. Guarana

Guarana Chieftain

As far as I know, United States isnt a "civilization", and always make part of this kind of games.

Or maybe we could considered all nations (countries) a unique kind of civilization it self. Since, Brazilians, Americans and Mexicans are quite different from each other.

4. Blitzscream

Blitzscream Chieftain

From my point of view traditionally previously in the series "Civilization" meant particular ethnic groups or nations that have made a significant foot print in history. That's how I always saw it. Firaxis with Brazil is either just playing around or they see them as potential world power.

So how about Canada.:lol:

5. AncientOne

AncientOne Johnny Juwarra

I am also always disturbed by United States as a civilization... and now they are adding another one that really shouldn't have its start in ancient era.

6. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

I think the IMG link for poland is broken... Nothing happens when I click Show...

7. Silv Something

Silv Something Pi(e) Loving Maniac

Same here.

8. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

poland should be fixed now

9. veBear

Thanks, all fine :)

10. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

No offense to Brazilians, but I find the choice of Brazil really odd. Its as silly as including Canada or Argentina or Montenegro.

The USA, at least, has produced a LOT of cultural stuff and stuff that has had a massive effect on cultures, is a superpower and is the single largest market for videogames.

11. veBear

Well, it was and still is the dominant power in SA, so if any civ from that continent is deserving a place, I'd say Inca and Brazil...

12. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

Oh common, Montenegro has longer history than USA and Canada taken together.

BTW Where is a thread "Poland is in central Europe?"

13. garlic pudding

garlic pudding Chieftain

Brazil is indeed a dominant power in South America and is different from the rest of the continent both through language, culture and history.

I'm quite satisfied by the three choices from Firaxis and am looking forward to see the next one. Although I must say Austria's colors scheme would have been better for Poland. They should have taken the colors from the flag of the old Austrian Empire for Maria Theresa.

14. MaDaZi

MaDaZi Chieftain

Now, all we need are Sargon Hammurabi and Gilgamesh

15. Jabarto

Jabarto Chieftain

I don't know why people get so hung up on how long a civilization has existed. By that metric, the German nation is even less worthy of inclusion.

As for Brazil, it's a decent change. The modern country is a lot more prosperous than people usually give it credit for, and it's nice to finally have a second civ in South America.

16. veBear

And Brazil definitely is a civ with an impact... it's just that the impact have mostly been in the developing World and South America, and not that huge among the Western countries, but we can't only choose nations after who had an impact on the westerners, can we? :)

17. Johnny Deacon

Johnny Deacon Chieftain

I wish it would be La Gran Colombia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Colombia) instead of Brazil.

Because Gran Colombia was a semi-civ former by five countries with a great Liberator Simon Bolivar that freed five countries in South-america. with a great army and a solid capital.

18. veBear

Well, IMO Brazil>Gran Columbia... But they could work as a DLC

19. trexeric

trexeric (or backwards 'cirexert')

Am I the only one who got that reference? :lol:

Anyway, I'm happy about the inclusion of Brazil. Although I'm really excited about Assyria, since their UA seems really fun...

20. jozef57

jozef57 Chieftain

Brazil is quickly becomming a world power and will grow.
    asfor the coment that civs like US should not start in ancient time, bleehh it is the way the game works. it is not real world sim it is a stat game.
    in $ there was a mod in which you could play civilizations more or less as they rose in history. that was fun. but most prefer classic civ
    can not wait for brave new world