1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World, the game - but who has read the book

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by master__jj, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

@Novu - You're completely missing the point of Science Fiction.. It's not trying to predict the future, and whoever gets it right wins a prize.:crazyeye:

2. blash

blash Chieftain

you are saying the manual is out already?

3. MatThePhat

MatThePhat Fanatic

America is going tourism ftw! :lol:

But yeah, 1984 was great because it outlined the perfect dystopian society, the absolute, horrific ideal police state (whether it was feasible, like anything ideal, is up for debate). Never got to read brave new world, though. Probably going to have to now just so I get all the references in the game.

4. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

I dunno, I really loved Brave New World. A teacher recommended it and I started reading it and finished it in three sittings.

1984 I started reading on my own, but I never finished it. It just felt boring to me.

5. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Loved it, couldn't put it down. Finished it in one sitting. Honestly I got excited even just hearing its name as the new civ expansion. I felt I may have understood it more at the time because of my own drug use. Sort of an escape, everything seems great while you're on it but afterwards there's a sense of emptiness and that your happiness was really artificial. Better to work for it than find it in a pill or the bottom of a glass i suppose

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Never read the book, but I did see the TV movie version (I think it was the 1980 version with Keir Dullea).

7. Godswood

Godswood War Priest

I read both Brave New World and 1984 but I must say that I enjoyed 1984 more. It felt more real, more organic, while Brave New World seemed robotic, in a way.

8. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

Read it in high school probably 12 or 13 years ago and while I do remember the bare bones basics of the book, what I remember most from it is the expression "Good Ford" which I continue to use to this day.

9. HarvesterofSorr

HarvesterofSorr Chieftain

The idea I most found interesting/horrifying was that if it was determined that you were going to be a janitor you were only born with enough intelligence to do that job. I know a lot of people in jobs that they have more intelligence for and they use their spare time for hobbies (Civ for instance?) which are what they use to make their life rewarding.
    Also, to an earlier poster (missed the name) the people weren't "high all the time."
    Soma (interesting/scary fact there was a drug by this name on the market in the late 90's - early 21st century) was a "hangover-free" drug that everyone took during their off hours. This was for several reasons. To keep those who needed their intelligence for their jobs to not use it when they weren't working.

10. Magic Pancake

Magic Pancake Chieftain

I first read BNW when I was 12, same year as I read 1984.

First time through, I liked 1984 more, though over time I've found it less and less interesting every time I've read it. Had it assigned again in University, could barely even start it. Just found it too perfect a dystopia. I can somewhat understanding staying where it was (although even then I question the extent that the inner party could maintain such discipline and not ramp down the dictatorship for themselves), but I really don't get how the society gets from 'here' to 'there', as it were.

In contrast, BNW has improved every time I've read it. In comparison to 1984, I find it easier to suspend disbelief in regards to whether such a society could exist. I also find that leaders who make dystopia because they are convinced it is the best thing to make for better antagonists than moustache twirling super villains.

I actually just finished Darkness at Noon, find it did 1984 better, before it was even published. Read that instead.

11. Olleus

Olleus Deity

I liked it, and the comparisons with 1984 are obvious. Not sure which I prefer, they have very different styles.

Also, a lot of people have said it's science fiction. It really isn't, its political philosophy, in a futuristic setting.

12. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Here is an instruction video :)

Link to video.

13. MAHRana

MAHRana Prince

i don't read much, but the last fiction novel i read (unless i read something in English class) was Brave New World i think, though i didn't finish it-.- Apart from all the "human assembly lines", Huxley had some insight on where society was heading.

14. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

As many people have said, they're really different takes on the same theme.

Brave New World is a fantastic novel about how people can be controlled by pleasure. Sexual, visual, emotional, occupational... everyone is satiated by the system and therefore, has no reason to question the system.

1984 is a fantastic novel about how people can be controlled by misinformation. Because the people can't assess their world and life because their frame of reference is constantly being manipulated by misinformation (or is the information accurate? hmm), the people have no reason to question the system.

Both phenomenal books. Two of the greatest English-language books ever written. Should be required reading for every adult. And if you read them as kids and were like, "books suck," I highly recommend you read them again for pleasure. Really, really enjoyable.

15. mintyfreshdeath

mintyfreshdeath Warlord

1984 is by far my favourite, although Brave New World probably stands as the more accurate since it is about arrested development of the intellect and inflicting pleasure as a means to political control.

But yeah, 1984 isn't and never was a prophesy, but a warning. It's an explicit and brutal study in the nature of power and the use of language as a tool to control thought and it's these two things that make it terrifying.

16. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

With the benefit of hindsight, I think that BNW is a more likely future for us than 1984... The masses are already mindless, and a world centered around endless pointless consumption is kind of the path we're taking

I fully expect child bottling plants, mind controlling drugs and conditioning; and the in game calender resetting to 1AF after 1908.
    The games title demands it!

17. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

I've been meaning to read this, but for whatever reason I always forget about it. I've read 1984 and hundreds of other books, but this one has somehow been missed.

I think 1984 is accurate as far as business/corporations go. I had one job that I swear the CEO took 1984 as an instruction manual on how to start and manage a business. Cameras everywhere, tried to convince employees that 34 hours was the same as 40 hours (2+2=5 :rolleyes:), anytime anyone slipped from the company image, they would just disappear, messing with numbers to make your company look competitive even though your competition is pulling in 8 times the annual profit, etc.

18. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Exactly! I was reading all of these comments on this thread and disappointed that so many people overlooked the relevance of Brave New World to our society. 1984 represents the "Big Brother" dictatorship, and real world comparisons to that are obvious, but Brave New World is a more accurate representation of the Western capitalism that most of us are part of.

People aren't controlled by being watched, they're given so much freedom that they don't know what to do with it. There's so much pleasure for them to consume that they don't waste time questioning society.

19. Nyeyedyaka

Nyeyedyaka Chieftain

I liked the book, as well as 1984, though the latter seams to be more serious, while BNW is a little bit naive (at least from modern point of view). Still, very interesting version of future. Interestingly, till the end of live Huley reconsidered his ideas and wrote an utopian novel 'Island', in which drugs are used in creating happy community that has no drawbecks of modern society.

20. yisheng

yisheng Chieftain

Speaking of islands, who's read "The Tempest", which is the original source of the quote? :D

(I first read a summary of the caste system in Brave New World in a English textbook. Reading the actual book, with all the sex bits thrown in, was quite a surprise - it felt weirdly sensationalised. :D )