1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave new world UNITS

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by chrisgatt7, Mar 29, 2013.

1. chrisgatt7

chrisgatt7 Prince

What are the confirmed new units in BNW and units you would like too see ! Thanks

2. chrisgatt7

chrisgatt7 Prince

As of now it goes propeller fighter and bomber too stealth bomber and fighter .... I wanna see a standard bomber and fighter like a su-35 and a B-52

3. marekb

marekb Warlord

4. ottobot

ottobot Chieftain

Well, besides the new civ's UU's (siege tower, that Brazilian soldier whos name i forget, and the winged hussar) i don't know about new units, though i am pretty sure that there was something mentioned about caravans and trading ships. as for a wish list, i hope that they will add more units to better transition from the renaissance to industral era, like something between the lancer and anti-tank gun, a well known gap. oh, and they're adding the XCOM soldier. dont forget XCOM soldiers.

5. chrisgatt7

chrisgatt7 Prince

I think a nuclear powers aircraft carrier and destroyer update are need as well ...

6. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

YES... Modern Carrier and a "melee" future era ship are really needed.

I don't like the XCOM soldiers ! Future units again... Well... actually, I'd like to see an entire new era, with SF units and buildings but I also want to have an option to play without that era... to be able to choose in each era to start but also in each era to finish... so I can play without SF things too when I feel like it...

7. Gamgee

Gamgee Chieftain

A good melee replacement could be the Railgun Destroyer. The navy is testing and producing this weapon to be used on vessels now. It's not sci fi anymore, but fits.

8. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I think a cruiser would be useful for protecting and attacking sea trade routes. The ships need some work to make the later eras fit the times. Cruisers should be added, it feels so odd without them. By WWI we have this modern BB and modern looking destroyer. They seem way out of place espesially the destroyer. If nothing else add an earlier destroyer and dreadnought. I'd be satisfied with that.

I also agree that we need a more modern aircraft carrier. Even a modern conventional CV like the USS America would be nice. Something with Cold War aircraft (P-80 or F-94) and tac bombers (A-4, A-5, or A-6). A B-52 would be invaluable for sure.

A tactical bomber of some sort would make an incredible addition to the game. A stuka or carrier dive/torpedo bomber.

One small question, does anyone know how many times in civ versions a cruiser was added?

9. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

Also the AI should use air units more. I played Civilization 3 CTC recently, again... and I forgot how amazing the modern combat was, I mean... a civilization invaded me in industrial age... and they bombed me until I was back to stone age lol. Lots of bombers & fighters ! Like 30+ ! They used lots of battleships too + artillery. And that was not even a strong civilization. I got so used with Civilization 5 that I couldn't do anything against a normal AI, in Civ 3 !

I like to play Civ 5 on huge maps with abundant resources. So as an example: me playing England and my neighbour, Egypt. We both had plenty of resources and plenty of gold income. So I've built a strong army. Egypt was the most powerful civ in the game, before I started to make a lot of units to become the most powerful. Then I noticed: they only had like 2 Jet Fighters and maybe 3 Bombers. And that's a lot for AI civ ! That's the strong one... and it's funny. I had like 12 Jet Fighters, like 24 Stealth Bombers and another 21 (or so) Bombers. Try to beat that with your 2 Jet Fighters !

They had a lot of warships... and that's good, the AI uses a lot of warships since Gods and Kings... but I want to see them using lots of airplanes too ! Their warships have no chance against my bombing. Especially when my bombers get the promote to attack twice every turn. Then my force is really overwhelming. Imagine having like 50 bombers (normal Bombers + Stealth ones) and being able to use them twice every turn. 100 bombing runs ! But I also use good naval support + artillery. So, in the end, my land units don't have much to do... they just go in to end the war. Also, Land Units are the smallest part of my forces.

I want the AI to make me say: "wow, I need more Fighters and more anti-air!"

So, since they have enough income and plenty of resources... I want to see them using a lot of airplanes too !

10. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ BERSERKER

i have played with more civs that got over 100 air units. just use world builder and give them alot of oil and aluminium then you will se they use many flights, and ships. even i dont make so many as they do in that time so no problem there.

11. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

In my experience, the AI is very good about fast-tracking aircraft. Of course, they need the oil to make'em.

We'll see lots of new civilian units. Probably an archaeologist. Then there's all the trade ships. Camel caravans for starters, then works its way up to trucks and freight trains.

12. ahawk

ahawk King

Air units are hit-or-miss for the AI. They tend to build a good number of them if they have enough oil, at least in my games. The problem is less the number they build and more the composition of their airforces: I commonly see AI cities with 6 or more planes, and no more than one of them is ever a fighter. This is a huge flaw. I can often build three or four fighters to destroy their entire airforce as it attempts to bomb my land units.

The AI just doesn't make any effort to fight for air superiority. It only thinks of the airforce as a means of attacking land units and it never, never seems to attempt any sorties to draw out my interceptors. It never flies air superiority missions, and even its fighters get used just to strafe and bombard like their bombers.

This is the most needed AI change in BNW. If nothing else is changed in terms of AI, I certainly hope the AI airforces will at least be made to fight for control of the skies.

13. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Agree with ahawk; even when the AI goes nuts for air units, they generally have few fighters and use them almost exclusively for offensive strike missions. The "Air Sweep" function is probably the most unused button in the game (and that's saying something), because there are never any defending fighters to draw out.

14. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I agree with both posts above. One thing I have seen is the AI bomb a city with its planes until it has zero health, and only then start attacking ground units around it. I found that very annoying and it needs to be fixed with bnw.

15. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

I hope they add Redcoat UU for England. America has Minutemen, France has Musketeer, and Spain has Conquistadors.

16. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I think a Redcoat should be added to England although that is easy to mod in.

17. Eru Ilúvatar

Eru Ilúvatar Chieftain

The problem on adding the redcoats is the game balance. They would have to take the Ship of the Line out of the game or give England a disadvantage to compensate the 3 UU.

18. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

The addition of a Redcoat would not affect game balance. Ships of the line should be able to be built by every civ anyway. Only England can build it. If I remember right Spain, France and other countries build them as well. Even the US had them. The USS Pennsylvania for one.

19. Eru Ilúvatar

Eru Ilúvatar Chieftain

In that case, a nice choice. I used to love playing as England in the Civ IV and one reason was the Red Coat U.U. They should replace the riflemen, of course.

20. ScottMcPwn

ScottMcPwn Huscarl

Yes this is correct, I completely agree that everyone should be able to build Ships of the Line, Britain's fairly weak UA reflects it's naval power anyway.
    Redcoats should defianetly replace the Ship of the Line as the Redcoats were the most elite unit of their time and they were what built the British Empire.
    I also hope that a 3rd or even better - 4th UU/UB/UI will be added to the game as I have a large thread about this already if you want to suggest anything - 3rd UU/UB Suggestions. Then Britain could have a UB to make it balanced.