Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for African Kingdoms, the key one missing is Mali, but they've probably just been excluded as they chose Songhai instead...

The obvious options are pretty much out, Kongo, Swahili and such

The other two most notable African kingdoms were Congo and Swahili, which are out. So unless they go with something crazy like the Masai or the San/"Bushmen", I think it's either Mali or no more sub-Saharan African civ.

You both seem to be forgetting the rather significant and major Gulf of Guinea civs such as Benin (Edo), Ashanti, and Oyo (Yoruba). All of which were quite powerful and played large parts during colonialism.

If another Sub-Saharan civ is added it would be from the Gulf of Guinea area.

I believe songhai has the shortest city list of any civ, I play as them all the time, and usually run out of city names by the modern era.

adding mali, with the same cities, probably not going to happen

At this point, since Marrakesh needs replacing, what if Venice was switched to mercantile? Doesn't it make sense, since it's the only Italian city that looks to be replaced and how Venice was sort of mercantile? I think the establishment of Kongo as militaristic decreases Italy's chances a lot, and boosts Vietnam's slightly. Also, now I feel confident in saying that if there is another American civ (not NA) it would be Argentina, since Canada is no more.

I absolutely love the Ripple effect

Removal of Marrakech decreases chance of Italy because Venice could be mercentile (I would agree, but so far we have yet to see this, so Italy/Venice still's got a shot)

Then you say that Kongo's militaristic decreases Italy's chances and boosts Vietnam's slightly, where did THAT come from? LOL. Mind you say exactly how you got that conclusion

I'm sorry if I sound mean, but I just find that theory so funny at how crazy and random it is. But I do agree with the Venice thing. It would make sense for it to be Mercentile.

are you from argentina, because only nationalistic bias could make someone think argentina should be in this game

One of the new militaristic city-states could be replacing Hanoi, even if it's not the same color. 1 new military cs doesn't have to mean replacement, but two is pushibg it a little bit. I only say Vietnam because I think it's more likely than Hungary or some sort of central Asian civ. It doesn't increase Vietnam's chances much, but it does.

are you from argentina, because only nationalistic bias could make someone think argentina should be in this game

Really? I'm not Argentine or related to someone who is, or anything like that, and Argentina is my favorite dark horse civ. Why not?

Really? I'm not Argentine or related to someone who is, or anything like that, and Argentina is my favorite dark horse civ. Why not?

I like the idea of a couple more modern civ's. I am disappointed but not surprised that Canada is now out but I think Australia, Argentina etc. would add some flavour. Since they are looking to improve the later era's it would also give them a chance to give a few more modern or later UU's.

I absolutely love the Ripple effect

Removal of Marrakech decreases chance of Italy because Venice could be mercentile (I would agree, but so far we have yet to see this, so Italy/Venice still's got a shot)

Then you say that Kongo's militaristic decreases Italy's chances and boosts Vietnam's slightly, where did THAT come from? LOL. Mind you say exactly how you got that conclusion

I'm sorry if I sound mean, but I just find that theory so funny at how crazy and random it is. But I do agree with the Venice thing. It would make sense for it to be Mercentile.

There are at least two possibilities for Venice without the somewhat unlikely inclusion of a Venetian civ:

1. They switched Venice's type.

2. They simply added more city-states. Since maritime CSes already have all colours used up, they might just duplicate a colour rather than add a new one.

There were duplicate colour-type combinations before G&K, and we know they're adding new CSes. So far we've only seen new militaristic CSes, which may just have been added to 'make up the numbers', but there's always clamour for X, Y and Z to be added as city-states, and adding extra city-states across the board would allow them to add variety while pleasing fans.

Argentina has a better case than Brazil in my opinion (being neither Argentine nor Brazilian). Brazil got in on the strength of being an increasingly relevant modern economy, yet its economic power is still below that of Canada (not included as a civ, and I consider deservedly not). Argentina (as the United Provinces) arguably has a longer history of regional dominance in South America. On the downside the major option for a leader - Roca - would not be a good choice due to his ostracisation in modern Argentina, due to the campaign of extermination he led against indigenous peoples.

It seems evident from the stereotypical UA (Carnival) given to Brazil that the designers were struggling to justify its inclusion, and they've admitted it was included because of fan pressure, suggesting that the designers didn't necessarily find it inherently worthy or interesting.

I like the idea of a couple more modern civ's. I am disappointed but not surprised that Canada is now out but I think Australia, Argentina etc. would add some flavour. Since they are looking to improve the later era's it would also give them a chance to give a few more modern or later UU's.

Yeah, if there's a 3rd expansion, I would want Australia too or maybe Canada. While we don't need too many modern civs, those three make sense.

I still don't see Argentina, Canada, or Australia getting in for at least another 10 years of civ. :p. Regardless... Brazil was the first time we have had 2 civs from South America, it took years to get that. We won't probably ever have more than 2 South American civs in any iteration of civ.

Canada and Australia, excuse me if you are fans of Polandball, are still rather irrelevant. I know Poland mostly got in because of the Polish civ nationalists, but its not the same thing. Canada and Australia don't really add interesting gameplayer either that some other civ can't do better, there is just very little reason for either to really seriously be considered for Civ

A new modern civ would probably be in a third expansion, but even then I would be doubtful. If we're talking about flavor and variety, then we're still missing an Asian civ and a native American civ from BNW so far (not to mention Africa is still pretty empty, relatively speaking, even if we have the Zulus and possibly the Moroccans (although they're north african rather than sub-Saharan, which is what I think of when I think of "African"))

If BNW world is super popular and a 3rd expansion is made, why not Argentina? It would be the first time a 3rd expansion would be made, so that's one precedent that would be broken, why not another? Argentina is a good candidate, and they would need civs, so I think that in a possible 3rd expansion, Argentina has as good a chance as any.

I can't see them taking argentina over a Simon Bolivar colombia, if they had to pick a modern SA nation, which they won't (for these last four slots)

Has there been any civilization that existed in its representative form for a shorter period of time than Gran Colombia? When your catchphrase is "stand the test of time," it's odd to pick such a brief entity. I think Argentina, in this hypothetical new expansion, would be the most clear choice for South America now. Give 'em some props, they got a pope, a Dutch royal, they're on a roll.

I can't see them taking argentina over a Simon Bolivar colombia, if they had to pick a modern SA nation, which they won't (for these last four slots)

I agree that Brazil is the only modern civ we are likely to get at this point. If a 3rd expansion does happen I think there would be at least one more. It would also likely fill out the map in Asia and Africa.

Since Canada is out, perhaps an opportunity to add city-states, such as Halifax, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, or even Dawson City?

When have they ever used cities of a state that were not at least autonomous at one time?

It's not about being revelant or great history. It's about being characteristic, wide/global-know feature. I was sceptical about Brazil, but Carnival was a perfect shot. On the other hand, Poland seems to not have that thing (free policies? All-rounded, not specialized UA with modern name). Sweden has Noble Prize.

The point is, it is not enough to be, the key-feature is more important. So Argentina, football believers or Germans' shelter? Not too much civ (game) related. UB stadion at best.

Australia fits better. First, it can be tourism related. Sheep population might be used. Finally, it is the whole continent (not occupied territory; easy city list).

Any kind of NA tribe also sounds more promising than Argentina. Consider sentimental factor Sioux seems like an obvious choice over any SA civ.

Some ancient civs are unused yet. Phoenicia, Sumer, Hittites.

Even Ukrainian cossacks are stronger civ-material. I bet they are quite known (there was even a games serie) and definitely characteristical.

Argentina, why not? Answer is simply, there is limited pool of new civs and there is no reply to 'why yes?'. Add Chile and Paraguay.

Has there been any civilization that existed in its representative form for a shorter period of time than Gran Colombia? When your catchphrase is "stand the test of time," it's odd to pick such a brief entity. I think Argentina, in this hypothetical new expansion, would be the most clear choice for South America now. Give 'em some props, they got a pope, a Dutch royal, they're on a roll.

I can see Argentina with Evita Peron, they didnt want more woman? so they have another one, the icon could be a yellow sun in a blue background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom