1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Art Grin, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinker

Tinker Prince

So, most civs of the expansions seem to be focused around the new features that come with the expansion - Ed Beach has indicated this, and it was the case in G&K. We have cultural, tourism and trade civs now, so just from a gameplay perspective, which possible civs could have a focus on archaeology/exploration and the world congress?

They might not choose their civs like this at all, but I think it's worth considering :)

2. PerceeP927

PerceeP927 Warlord

Navajo sound more fun than Sioux. And more unique. That's probably why they were going for Pueblo

3. Kahless26

Kahless26 Chieftain

I am from Argentina and i still cannot believe how supportive of the Argentine Civ Phanteon16 is :p. But he is right in that Argentina is far more than "soccer lovers". And Argentina sure beat Brazil in the 1820s war (it was really just Buenos Aires against the Empire), only to lose everything in the negotiation table...

I still think that maybe is true that Argentina is too young and not that important to be included as a civ. But i think it can be reallisticaly represented in other ways:

- Buenos Aires as a Millitaristic or Commercial City-State.
    - Jose de San Martín as a Great General.
    - Guillermo Brown as a Great Admiral.
    - Jorge Luis Borges as a Great Writer, with "The Aleph" as his Great Work.
    - Diego Maradona as a Great Artist :D, "The Hand of God" as his Great Work :D :D :D (a joke that one, but he IS an Artist in some form).

With that, i would be happy.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I would love to see Buenos Aires as a city-state, but I was thinking cultural rather than militaristic. They call Buenos Aires the Paris of South America.

5. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

My thought had been Maritime because they had a world class navy at the start of the 20th century.

6. Andrew1022

Andrew1022 Chieftain

Long time lurker here. First post. But I will through my ideas in.

I guess for the last remaining four...

Morocco
    Majaphiat
    Apache
    Italy

Really i'm torn between Italy or Belgium.

Meh I think Belgium could work as a Scenario Civ for scramble for Africa.

A cool idea for DLC civs would be to make some Scenario Civs playable outside of Scenarios. Such as Sumeria, Normans, Confederate States and so forth.

7. Kahless26

Kahless26 Chieftain

Buenos Aires was many Things.

Mercantile center during the colonial period (Famous for all the sweet, sweet contraband).

Militaristic: One of the Spearheads of the revolutionary war in the early XIX century.

Cultured: It became a cultural center in the XX century.

I can even say religious, we own the goodamn pope right now!

8. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

If we're gunna get any western hemisphere colonial town as a city state it should definitely be Bridgetown.

Barbados was one hell of a mercantile island. It even gained effective independence from England for a little while in the seventeenth century :goodjob:

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I was going to suggest Port Royal.

10. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Genuinely got nothin' on Bridgetown.

Comes into play much later when the West Indies are already declining comparatively.

Barbados was king at a time when the windies were king.

11. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Pirates! ;)

12. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Arrrrrrrgh... There be no pirate smileys...

13. Ricardo_

Ricardo_ Warlord

I personally would like to have Mexico, but Argentina would also be awesome. This would give people a fertile terrain for making scenarios, like the Paraguayan War.

14. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

Following this line of examples, Bolivar is also like Dido, except she didn't turn into a dictator after she didn't get what she wanted. He was a great general who ultimately had little impact in other areas. If you want to claim he's looked up to by todays South Americans, just remember who in particular has used his legacy as a means of attracting popularity, Hugo Chavez. What besides helping to drive out the spaniards did he do? That's a great accomplishment, but on those standards people like San Martin and Ho Chi Minh deserve inclusion as well. The only difference is that Vietnam and Argentina lasted more then 10 or so years. (Please note, though I support both countries, I do not support either leader.) I think people deify Bolivar more then he deserves.

15. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Hmm... That gave me an idea. What if pirates were new barbarian units? But then again, this is a civilization thread; let's not get off-topic here

16. Tsar NicholasII

Tsar NicholasII Prince

I had always assumed that barbarian ships were pirates

17. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I did as well. If they go with my theory of more unique barbarian units than before, they could add a Pirate ship as a Barbarian Privateer replacement. That being said, if you go by my theory of why they added an Axe Thrower barbarian unit, they probably won't bother. However, I think the Barbarian ships represent pirates for the most part either way.

But Port Royal was still badass either way :p

18. king Oosterveld

king Oosterveld Chieftain

probably wrong about this, but could a pirating civilization be added? I'm not too great with history (being in 8th grade), but I"m sure there was one civilization that was known for pirating trade ships? if not, a unit like the privateer from civ 4 would still be cool ( attacking city states w/o declaring war, IIRC)

19. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

The Ottoman's ability is pirate-like in nature, so maybe they cover it. Pirate barbarians would be cool though, and make sense. City states should be able to spawn barbarian pirate units to disrupt trade if they don't like you!

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Pirates weren't exactly a civilization - more outlaws from other nation-states. Everyone pirated trading ships, occasionally because a government sanctioned it (the English, the Ottomans, etc.) and often without approval. Having a Pirate civilization would be like having a Gangster civilization or a bandit civilization. It wouldn't make sense in the context of this particular game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.