1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Art Grin, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

I dunno man. On the map, it looks like there's only the Huns, Assyria, Brazil, Portugal, Zulu, Germany, Spain, & Poland. The territory below Portugal looks like it belongs to Germany and the one below Assyria belongs to the Huns ... probably.

2. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

It's Attila south of Assyria. The civ south of Portugal is Germany.

3. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Nice try, but I'm afraid it's definitely Bismarck to the south and Attila to the west - and we know this because of the handy list of players in the top right, which lists both Attila and Bismarck.

As Agent Mulder would say, "I want[ed] to believe" :(

4. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

It's Portugal. It's White and with Blue outlines and city colors. The grey is fog or the southern tip of that zoom marker on Portugal.

5. Chris Hill

Chris Hill Warlord

As far as I can tell, there seems to be 8 civilizations in the map.

Top Row : Bright Green and Brown - Portugal and Huns?
    Below those : White and Red - Zulu and Poland?
    At the bottom : Grey - Germany?
    Slightly to the left : Cream - ?
    On the left : Light Yellow and Yellowish Grey - Assyria and ?????

Any ideas?

EDIT : You all get there while I was building this one ;)

6. Holmium

Holmium Chieftain

Oh! I didnt see the list of players on the middle right of the video.
    Sorry for bringing our hopes up. :scared:

But the colors of the civ south of Portugal really does not look like as either Germany or The Huns to me.

I guess that the lack of new information about Brave New World has made me crazy.

7. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Here's a screenshot, to eliminate all remaining doubt:

If you look at the list of players in the top right corner, you can clearly see that both Attila and Bismarck are there.

On the minimap, clockwise from Brazil we have:

Brazil - Spain - Poland - Portugal - Germany - Zulu - Huns -Assyria

Spoiler :

8. alpha2117

alpha2117 Prince

No they didn't they mentioned a new resource if revealed would give away a new leader. Venice could have a new resource attached, it could have a new typing relating to tourism or culture in general. We dont know anything for sure. What we do know is something has happened. Personally I agree with Menzies that it's a pretty clear indicator that Italy(or Venice) is in and has been replaced as a CS. What I have issue is there are clearly other plausible options that should not be summarily discarded with the limited information we have. I can perceive several expansion related reasons they may have altered the way Venice functions with the new trade, tourism and culture elements coming in. I dont think they have altered it I think they have replaced it - I however feel that there is more than a 10% chance of alteration and to categorically state that VENICE HAS BEEN REPLACED isn't accurate - it's really more a case that it appears likely that Venice has been replaced and with other circumstantial evidence we also have a good case for Italy being in.

With the 4 remaining the evidence seems to be this

Italy - Venice seems to now be Riga in the CS's, wording in achievement in the scramble, no Italian CS's being seen, the general feeling that it's the last truly major Euro civ not added and that a period of it's history is absolutely perfect for this expansion. The Florentine wonder doesn't hurt their chances.

Venice - the first of the reasons for Italy.

Morocco/The Moors - a throwaway line mentioning Moroccan Warrior and what appears to be a Kasbah that could relate to them in a poster, the feeling that since they conquered large parts of Europe they are a bit of a glaring omission at this point.

Everyone else - personal preference and perceived gaps - Native American civs, Asian civs, Colonial Civs, Hungary, there are a ton of these and everyone's reasons are all valid but without much in the way of evidence they are all pure speculation. In general people expect an Asian and Native American civ given the other choices made but it's only based on solid speculation rather than hard evidence.

That means Italy is by far the most solid of the picks on the evidence we have but there's still enough grey for mine to have them sitting at about 80%

9. MAHRana

MAHRana Prince

i wouldn't actually be too surprised if Mali make it in at least eventually - Timbuktu isn't a city state yet and it was quite a major center for trade.

10. wigwam

wigwam Prince

Timbuktu is a Songhai city—the second (or third?) on their city list. Mali, Ghana, and Songhai all overlap so much that we're likely only ever to get one of the three per game.

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

We have Rome and all of it's successor states, not to mention Byzantium and Italy as it seems now
    After this, how could the medium overlap between Mali and Songhai bother anyone??
    I want to see Khmer, Mali, Phoenicia and Hungary included, despite the fact that they are somewhat close/related to the current representation of Siam, Songhai, Carthage and Austria

12. InsanelyApple

InsanelyApple Prince

I think he's mainly saying it would be hard to get a city list if more than one is in the game. They can't pull a Ottoman/East Rome with it, because the cities romanize to the same name unlike, say, Iznik/Nicaea.

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

There are more than enough cities to have both Mali and the Songhai in the game
    It's not a problem if 2 civs share the same city name, unless it's a capital for both.
    We can have 10 separate names for Mali and 10 for Songhai, and 20-30 shared names.
    If both civs are included, then whichever of the 2 has a given city higher on it's city list will have higher chance to have it. Depends on the rate of their expansion of course.
    Civ IV did it this way, and we don't need a better solution.

14. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

If Mali is in, then theirs and Songhai's cities will be overlap. Renaming is not possible for some cities like Gao

15. sanpavlos

sanpavlos Chieftain

I think you're right, which is exactly why Italy bugs me as a suitor. Italy is already represented by Rome, with the ~rest of the Roman empire by Byzantium. Adding Italy is too redundant for my taste. Do we need a separate civ for every phase of a nation's history?

Some have rationalized this type of direct overlap by pointing out that they're from completely different timelines, but that misses the point that the game is meant to take a "people" from the dawn of history right thru modern-day. Rewriting history is the great conceit of the game.

That's just my interpretation, others may vary. But if having Rome & Italy is ok, why not add Colonial America? Or modern Egypt? To me, the answer is because we generally perceive a continuity of the people, even if separated by millennia. Let that be what the game is for: covering transformations over the millennia.

None of which is commentary on Italy's actual chances of inclusion, so that's just me sounding off.

16. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Umm... No offense, but did you read my post above yours carefully enough?

17. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

I agree it's not that much of a fuss, especially since civs very rarely get even close to the end of their city lists from my experience, but which civs in civ 4 had city overlaps?

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I only spoke about the base mechanics
    City naming was written this way in the first place. If a city name is already taken and would come in any civs' city list, then it would be simply skipped to the next name.
    Maybe overlapping city lists didn't even happen in vanilla Civ IV, but plenty of the mods use this "feature"

19. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

It's like that in civ V too. If you are playing with two China's in game there is no conflict, it just quietly gets on with it down the city lists.

But that still means there is no precedent for it. In Civ 4 you say it was possible, as it is in V, but it didn't happen (at least without player made mods).

There is however a pattern in developing civs that we can presume will continue to be followed, that is that no city names will appear in more than one civs list. They would need to be removed from one to be added to another. However there is no precedent for this either, so we are very unlikely to get Mali in V at all.

20. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

One of Mali's largest cities was Gao. Maybe if they write it like Gáo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.