Brazil Endorses Gay Marriage, and other progressive decisions

FredLC

A Lawyer as You Can See!
Retired Moderator
First a little background: The Brazilian Constitution, for a while now, recognizes an institute called "civilian union". Basically, it determines that when a couple gets together, and from their style of life you can infer the intent of constituting a family, than they are entitled rights and guarantees analogous to those of a couple married within partial union regime (meaning that all they build after the union belongs to both, prior possessions are still individual).

Naturally, gay couples have long been fighting for this institute to apply for them, and a few weeks ago, they secured a major win. Even against some pretty influential forces (such as the Brazilian Confederation of Bishops, that is the litigation strength of the Catholic Church in the country, and the Protestant Lobby in the Congress), they managed to secure a unanimous supreme court decision that that they were to be considered in equal standing with heterosexual couples.

News, today, takes things even further; a federal judge has ruled that not only they should be recognized as in "civilian union", but that they actually have the right to state-notorized marriage certificates.

This decision means that now there is no more need for analysis of their intentions, they can simply state their desire and have it instantly recognized by the state (like heteros do); also, that they have the right to public ceremonies for civilian wedding, enjoy the other regimen of distribution of property (full union and full separation, instead of just the partial union).

This decision is very right, I feel, and places recent Brazilian Jurisprudence as pretty progressive (having also endorsed steam cell research, and that protests for the legalization of marijuana do not fall in the frame of the criminal offense of criminal apologetic).

Now two other relevant issues stand to be judged; the right of euthanasia, and the right for the interruption of pregnancy of fetuses with anencephaly malformation. These are still in the open, but the latest rulings lead me to think that the STF will do the right thing in those issues as well.

The sad part of this story is that, while the judiciary seems to be quite progressive, the legislative is utterly conservative and quite vulnerable to the lobbies mentioned above.

It seems to be a trend now, with many nations recognizing several of these rights (specifically the homosexual union, paradigm of this thread); so I guess my question here is - your countries also recognize, or do they forbid them? Also, how is the distribution of strength in the struggle, both legally (position taken by the three powers) and politically (support from the population for those claims).

Regards :).

Excellent news from Brazil!

Although they also seriously need to reign in the destruction of the Amazon Rainforest by logging, mining and agricultural companies. But still a good step in the right direction!

Assuming Brazil's legal system works how it does here, this single judge has superiors to him in rank, a Brazilian supreme court. What are the chances the Supreme Court will listen to the case, and thus make the results binding and unappealable?

Where does said Supreme Court (or whatever it's called, if it exists) lean politically?

Furthermore, how is a Supreme Court decision overturned? In the United States, there either needs to be a later Supreme Court decision(Always the case), or a Constitutional Amendment(I don't believe this has ever been done).

Excellent news from Brazil!

Although they also seriously need to reign in the destruction of the Amazon Rainforest by logging, mining and agricultural companies. But still a good step in the right direction!

Yeah, Brazil has A LOT more to worry about than that.

Assuming Brazil's legal system works how it does here, this single judge has superiors to him in rank, a Brazilian supreme court. What are the chances the Supreme Court will listen to the case, and thus make the results binding and unappealable?

Where does said Supreme Court (or whatever it's called, if it exists) lean politically?

Furthermore, how is a Supreme Court decision overturned? In the United States, there either needs to be a later Supreme Court decision(Always the case), or a Constitutional Amendment(I don't believe this has ever been done).

Their Supreme Court is called the 'Supremo Tribunal Federal' so I assume by 'federal judge' he means a judge at the highest level.

Do they make decisions separately or collectively? The American Supreme Court requires a majority, but assuming every Brazilian judge can make their own decisions - with I imagine conflicting decisions requiring some sort of special event - then this is quite useful.

Even if it doesn't mean any actual legal change, getting a pro-gay supreme judge is always good. Enough steps and you'll have a staircase, as I like to say.

The OP says:
they managed to secure a unanimous supreme court decision
[...]
a federal judge has ruled
Not knowing anything of the Brazilian justice system, I'd say that indicates that although this isn't a supreme court judge, the decision is unlikely to change.

Well, I'll not get technical here but, as stated in the OP, there is a Brazilian equivalent for the SCOTUS, which is the STF (acronym for Supreme Federal Tribunal in portuguese), and this issue will probably reach there. Thing is that the judge's ruling is consistent with the also already mentioned previous decision that extended to gays the right for civilian union, because the bases of that ruling was that there is no acceptable constitutional argument that allows for treating a gay couple differently of an hetero couple, so the ethos of the court is quite favorable to the keeping of that ruling.

I'll not explain what would take to make the ruling binding, because I can't save for do being too technical for this audience. Suffice to say the court CAN do that, and reversing it would also take another STF decision, an amendment (though in this case the amendment would violate a rigid clause, so short of a new constitution, I see no way of doing so).

As for the political leaning, it's hard to say. Four Supremes (here called ministers) have been recently changed, and it's still hard to speak of'em. Recent decisions, however, also as I already mentioned, point to a progressive mentality.

I see I caused a little confusion here, so lemme clarify:

A STF member is called a minister. The court decision, a few weeks ago, was about the right of recognition of the institute of "civilian union".

Now a federal judge (a regular judge of first instance) ruled beyond what the STF decided, and extended this to the right of an official certificate of marriage; anchored, however, in the argument used by the STF, that under the Brazilian Constitution, couples cannot be treated differently because of their sexual orientation.

This latest decision is case specific, and have no general appliance (unlike the former one, from STF); however, if the case does get there, than an eventual decision to uphold it may give it binding status.

Hope I cleared it out now.

What's interesting for me is what basis the STF used for their decision. You said that there are these unions recognized by the constitution. But how did the ministers of the STF/that federal judge manage to extend same-sex relationships to marriages?

Follow up, is there the concept of "equal protection under the law" (or something similar) in Brasilian law?

But regardless, kudos to Brasil.

Are there even people pitiful enough in Brazil to try and overturn this? Or are people there wise enough to not worry about things that have no impact on their lives?

Yeah, of course, there is. Here is a translation of the head of the 5th article of the Brazilian Constitution:

"Article 5. All persons are equal before the law, without any distinction whatsoever, Brazilians and foreigners residing in the country being ensured of inviolability of the right to life, to liberty, to equality, to security and to property, on the following terms:"

Follows a large list of rights that I think I don't need to translate, but that can be read here:

http://www.v-brazil.com/government/laws/constitution.html

Anyway, from the head of the article, the conclusion is quite simple:

- You cannot distinguish couples in the bases of sexual preferences;
- Couples have the right of civil union and marriage;
- Therefore, couples of gay orientation also have the right to civil union and marriage.

Quite straightforward, actually.

Are there even people pitiful enough in Brazil to try and overturn this? Or are people there wise enough to not worry about things that have no impact on their lives?

There are people like that everywhere.

Also, as Brazilian economy has been improving steadily, our political discourse have been shifting from issues such as prices and inflation , the only concerns of the majority of population 20 years ago, to the same nonsensical topics we hear in the US elections; religious debates, abortion, even freaking creation X evolution.

Misplacing priorities seems to be a rather unexpected sign of prosperity, but I guess those who don't worry about their stomachs have free time to think of other issues...

Yeah, of course, there is. Here is a translation of the head of the 5th article of the Brazilian Constitution:

"Article 5. All persons are equal before the law, without any distinction whatsoever, Brazilians and foreigners residing in the country being ensured of inviolability of the right to life, to liberty, to equality, to security and to property, on the following terms:"

Follows a large list of rights that I think I don't need to translate, but that can be read here:

http://www.v-brazil.com/government/laws/constitution.html

Anyway, from the head of the article, the conclusion is quite simple:

- You cannot distinguish couples in the bases of sexual preferences;
- Couples have the right of civil union and marriage;
- Therefore, couples of gay orientation also have the right to civil union and marriage.

Quite straightforward, actually.

So it works much like the American Fourteenth Amendment. Thanks. :D

It seems to be a trend now, with many nations recognizing several of these rights (specifically the homosexual union, paradigm of this thread); so I guess my question here is - your countries also recognize, or do they forbid them? Also, how is the distribution of strength in the struggle, both legally (position taken by the three powers) and politically (support from the population for those claims).

Of the three particular progressive issues, Norway stands more or less as follows:

1. Gay marriage: The fight is well and truly over and won, and we've now had full marriage equality since 2009, after having a half-measure "registered partnership" thing in place since 1993. In both cases the introduction of the law was largely a matter of "well, guess it's about time for this", and was met with moderate opposition before the fact, and only some grumbling from the very most conservative politicians and professional trolls after the fact.

2. Abortion: This was a big issue during the 1970s. Since then, any pregnancy can be terminated at will until week 12; later terminations can be done for cause (mainly if the fetus is discovered to have something wrong with it that would result in a severe handicap).

3. Euthanasia: Hasn't really been on the mainstream agenda very much yet. Illegal, although "everyone knows" that last-stage terminal patients are often quietly dosed with enough morphine or whatever to send them off. I expect that this will become a major issue over the next decade or two, with the aging of the baby boom generation.

As an aside, Norway is a parliamentary democracy (as well as a constitutional monarchy, but the role of the monarch as head of state is basically ceremonial), which means the division of powers works a bit differently: The executive branch is not elected or appointed separately from the legislative branch, but emanates from it and is dependent on continual support (at least tacit support) from the legislature in order to not be replaced at (theoretically) any time.

Also the role of the judiciary in driving social change via changing interpretation of existing law tends more towards the negative, reactive or passive; for example homosexual relations between men were still illegal and carried criminal penalties until as recently as 1972, but actual prosecution for this had become something of a rarity long before then. It was necessary for the law to be formally changed, though.

So for any issue it is basically a question of how the legislature leans, which again depends on how people vote, and that again depends on which collections of issues people can be made to care about when the election comes along. It's a multi-party system and it's been a long while since any single party had enough seats to form a majority government all on its own, so every time there has to be some form of compromise, and power blocs shift over time; during the last twenty years, executive power has about two-thirds of the time been held by either the Labour Party alone or (as it is now) in a coalition with the other significant left party and the centrist agrarian party, and the rest of the time by a couple of different coalitions on the conservative/center side. Legislation that may be seen as socially progressive tends to happen more often when the leftist side is in power, but this is not a uniform or universal thing (for instance the near-total ban on smoking in public buildings was introduced by the christian conservative party). Also even though both of the conservative coalitions in this period have been formed around the christian party (the one bunch who are consistently against most forms of socially progressive things) they've never managed to reverse any changes that have already been made, only drag their feet on issues in progress.

The very problem of that endorsement is that it violates the constitution. The constitution says in an eternity clause that only a civilian union constituted by men and woman can form a family entity and have marriege status. So to change that, the congress should aprove the creation of a new constitution, and an assembley must be elected to right it down.
That endorsement was done by the supreme court, who said that law didn't followed the social changes, ignoring that only the congress has the power to change law. Our juridical system is by no means costumary, following a very strick codification. That might be the reason for the crisis in the congress that is overburdoned with 20 years old projects pilled up. But bypassing their authority undermines our juridical security and might prove dangerous to our democracy! If the president keep using their war time powers to write law while in peace, and the supreme court start writing their own laws, we'll soom became a new Venesuela.

If the president keep using their war time powers to write law while in peace, and the supreme court start writing their own laws, we'll soom became a new Venesuela.

I thought you were a big fan of Lula and the Workers' Party? :confused:
I'm glad you came to your senses.

More on topic, I obviously agree with Fred that gay civil unions and marriage should be allowed. I see absolutely no reason why not.

OTOH, our Constitution as it is does not allow for gay marriage. That means that the Constitution should be ammended, and there is a procedure for that, and that procedure goes through Congress.

Now Fred, just like you I am no fan of our Congressmen, with bigotry and outright corruption being almost the norm. But those corrupt bigots were elected by the Brazilian people - a corrupt and bigotted people. I am no radical democrat and I agree individual rights should not be dependent on the will of the majority. But it's a complicated matter as I don't think our Constitution should be treated so lightly.

Moderator Action: Please don't call a people a 'corrupt and bigoted people'.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

On this case the STF clearly is taking a role that belongs to Congress. The result was a good outcome, but that may not always be the case. For instance, this year the STF will judge whether or not racial quotas on public universities and public companies are legal - our Constitution clearly states they are not. To allow racial quotas one would need a 2/3rds majority in Congress to ammend the Constitution, and that would be hard to achieve - which is very good. If the STF however again takes the role of Congress and says racial quotas are OK - despite the fact they clearly aren't - than we'll be here regretting their judicial activism.

I used to respect the SFT a great deal, but after the Battistio fiasco they proved they are every bit of a joke as Congress. Fact is Lula named some plainly inapt people: that Adams guy failed to become a simple judge, he was once a member of the Workers' Party, and yet Lula felt he would make a good STF minister! It's ridiculous.

The very problem of that endorsement is that it violates the constitution. The constitution says in an eternity clause that only a civilian union constituted by men and woman can form a family entity and have marriege status. So to change that, the congress should aprove the creation of a new constitution, and an assembley must be elected to right it down.
That endorsement was done by the supreme court, who said that law didn't followed the social changes, ignoring that only the congress has the power to change law. Our juridical system is by no means costumary, following a very strick codification. That might be the reason for the crisis in the congress that is overburdoned with 20 years old projects pilled up. But bypassing their authority undermines our juridical security and might prove dangerous to our democracy! If the president keep using their war time powers to write law while in peace, and the supreme court start writing their own laws, we'll soom became a new Venesuela.

I assume you are refering to article 226. here is a translation:

Article 226. The family, which is the foundation of society, shall enjoy special protection from the State.

Paragraph 1 - Marriage is civil and the marriage ceremony is free of charge.

Paragraph 2 - Religious marriage has civil effects, in accordance with the law.

Paragraph 3 - For purposes of protection by the State, the stable union between a man and a woman is recognized as a family entity, and the law shall facilitate the conversion of such entity into marriage.

Paragraph 4 - The community formed by either parent and their descendants is also considered as a family entity.

Paragraph 5 - The rights and the duties of marital society shall be exerci sed equally by the man and the woman.

Paragraph 6 - Civil marriage may be dissolved by divorce, after prior legal separation for more than one year in the cases set forth by law, or after two years of proven de facto separation.

Paragraph 7 - Based on the principles of human dignity and responsible parenthood, family planning is a free choice of the couple, it being within the competence of the State to provide educational and scientific resources for the exercise of this right, any coercion by official or private agencies being forbidden.

Paragraph 8 - The State shall ensure assistance to the family in the person of each of its members, creating mechanisms to suppress violence within the family.

As you can see, the constitution does not define marriage as between men and women; the "stable union" (a more precise translation than the terminology of "civilian union" I used before, but the same thing) is the only moment in which the need for "men and women" are presumed.

In a naive reading, this means that you'd need an amendment to recognize stable unions, but not to recognize marriage, because you don't have to change text to acknowledge that this relationship has broader spectrum than just the heterosexual.

What the STF did, correctly IMHO, was to acknowledge a very well established legal consequence of an interpretation principle (in this case, theleological/contextual interpretation); Coupling the before mentioned article with the provisions of the 5th article (this one being truly a "hard clause" - what I assume is what you meant as an " eternity clause", while the 226 actually isn't one), it's clear that a separation of the sorts is a form of distinction, and such cannot be tolerated.

Sounds like interpretation trickery? It is, in a sense; however, the insertion of the limited terminology do seen illegitimate before the broader context of the ample freedom of the 5th article, ergo the STF decision seems rather organic and entirely defensible with the constitutional project of society. It's no coincidence that this became, perhaps, the only hi-profile vote in the history of the STF to have been unanimous. Getting Gilmar Mendes, Joaquim Barbosa and Marco Aurélio to agree is no small feat.

Rather than change the law, then, what the court did was to conform it's interpretation between two different plausible readings of it, one more obvious but unconstitutionally restrictive, other a bit more subtle (but not that much, just takes a little training in hermeneutics) but fully compatible, obviously preferring the second.

That said, I have to tell you that Brazilian legislation is, actually, making a shift from the civil law of France tradition to a common law regime of english tradition. Well, perhaps this isn't fair, because it won't go all the way. It's becoming a mix of both, with institutes that are typical of either (like the ACPs, our equivalent to class actions, the binding rulings, and being the only country in the world (AFAIK) to have both the american disperse and the austrian concentrated regimen of constitutional control).

OTOH, our Constitution as it is does not allow for gay marriage. That means that the Constitution should be ammended, and there is a procedure for that, and that procedure goes through Congress.

An amendment would be better, because this would mean an actual and current support for that cause, as well as a more precise laying out of rules. That said, I believe I dealt with that argument in my above reply.

Now Fred, just like you I am no fan of our Congressmen, with bigotry and outright corruption being almost the norm. But those corrupt bigots were elected by the Brazilian people - a corrupt and bigotted people. I am no radical democrat and I agree individual rights should not be dependent on the will of the majority. But it's a complicated matter as I don't think our Constitution should be treated so lightly.

On this case the STF clearly is taking a role that belongs to Congress. The result was a good outcome, but that may not always be the case. For instance, this year the STF will judge whether or not racial quotas on public universities and public companies are legal - our Constitution clearly states they are not. To allow racial quotas one would need a 2/3rds majority in Congress to ammend the Constitution, and that would be hard to achieve - which is very good. If the STF however again takes the role of Congress and says racial quotas are OK - despite the fact they clearly aren't - than we'll be here regretting their judicial activism.

I singled out this from my previous comment because in a broader sense I agree. Lemme put on a little context here.

For those who don't know, the 1988 Brazilian Constitution marked a return to democracy in a country that suffered a dictatorship just before. The political climate back then was one of reinforcing the institutions, particularly the judiciary branch, deemed as the mean for the population to garantee it's rights against the possibility of an overly powerful executive.

This experiment has had mixed results. For example, it did succeed in avoid an all-powerful executive branch. But things are going, IMHO, too far, and in present day, judges are so powerful that actually members of executive, specially in small cities and non-influential states, are as a rule afraid of them. I've seen cases where the mayors are afraid of taking steps and having to answer to the public ministry in an ACP law action, and virtually obey the justice promoter instead of actually being the ruler on the city.

But it also has generated a more cynical approach from smart politicians, that delay public policies and decisions, and only take steps before judicial order. It's a clever way to dodge responsibility, saying that a given expense was made, or stopped, because a judge ordered.

The judiciary, however, seeing our inept executive, is becoming more and more involved. The posture of the STF in this case is corollary of this shift in attitude, which begun when the court changed their long standing position in the mandates of injunction to garantee the rights of striking for public servants, something that, though constitutionally granted, was being denied due to lack of legislation, that would never come, no matter how many times the congress was pressed to bring it. So, the STF did acknowledge it's role of positive legislator in whenever there is a malicious gap that the congress refuses to fill.

This is awful IMHO. I don't believe in enlightened tyrants, and I am overly critical of any instance where this happens. Nevertheless, the judiciary is the only technical of the three powers, and seems to be the most solid institutionally, so perhaps this is a step we will need to take in order to force the other powers to execute their duties responsibly. Time will tell.

I used to respect the SFT a great deal, but after the Battistio fiasco they proved they are every bit of a joke as Congress. Fact is Lula named some plainly inapt people: that Adams guy failed to become a simple judge, he was once a member of the Workers' Party, and yet Lula felt he would make a good STF minister! It's ridiculous.

I had an "I told you so" ready to throw at you when this outcame came, but I can't use it, for in fact, I was wrong as well. The STF made that awful decision evoking their historical position, but it's a position that they themselves have abandoned. There was an obvious political component there, and that is obnoxious. A good example as to why I don't believe in enlightened tyrants.

That said, it is a premisse, for any minister that come to the court with the opening on what is known as the "1/5 vacancy", that such person cannot be a judge, the idea being to bring someone of notable competence that can bring a fresh perspective to the court. Besides, the public tests to become judge are a regrettable necessity at best, and I'm positive that many great people failed in several instances because they don't like being submitted to humongous tests of memorization. I myself have trouble there, but I can bring examples of well acknowledge doctrinators, such as Fredie Didier, who despite failed himself, is a best seller author and frequently give classes to the people who succeed and became judges, and actually have been one of the minds behind recent reformations in civilian process.

Top Bottom