Brazil - Pedro II Thread

To be honest I was expecting Brazil to be DLC or make its appeareance back again on expansions.

I'll say this, the fact that we now have 2 post colonials on vanilla, really opens up a good shot for a spanish speaking post colonial to make it later on, either dlc or xpack.

Weather on not you agree with the devs, it's clear they are not shy about having post colonial civs alongside with classical civs, Mexico, Colombia and Argentina all of a sudden got good chances.

Overall I'm glad Brazil is in the game. I play mostly true start earth maps so I'm thinking from that perspective. I hope we see many more DLCs with different additional civilizations.

Paulo Coelho, one of the most successful authors of the past century. Oscar Niemeyer as well. After that...relevance goes down quite a bit.

I'm not happy with Pedro's look either. Some of these leaders are striking the right balance with the cartoony design and others (Qin and Pedro) are too much.

Also, very disappointed that Maracanã is a wonder. They could have shown off Cristo Redentor. I'm guessing they wanted an Information Era(or whatever it is now) wonder and this was possible.

Nonetheless, it seems like Brazilians on FB comments are thanking Civ tonnes for this, so at least Firaxis is getting their desired boost for this subpar Civ.
Also aviation pioneer of both airships and heavier than air craft Alberto Santos-Dumont.

Well, Brazil is famous for the soccer talents they have - so Maracana is OK (for me)
Also the Maracana had the highest capcity of any stadium when it was built, with almost 200,000 people attending the 1950 World Cup final.

Paulo Coelho, one of the most successful authors of the past century. Oscar Niemeyer as well. After that...relevance goes down quite a bit.

I'm not happy with Pedro's look either. Some of these leaders are striking the right balance with the cartoony design and others (Qin and Pedro) are too much.

Also, very disappointed that Maracanã is a wonder. They could have shown off Cristo Redentor. I'm guessing they wanted an Information Era(or whatever it is now) wonder and this was possible.

Nonetheless, it seems like Brazilians on FB comments are thanking Civ tonnes for this, so at least Firaxis is getting their desired boost for this subpar Civ.

Some of the brazilian that are well know around the world!

http://thebrazilbusiness.com/article/7-most-famous-brazilian-inventions
http://www.biography.com/people/groups/brazilian
http://accentbrazil.ca/top-40-unforgettable-brazilian-music-artists-of-all-time/
http://noticias.bol.uol.com.br/foto...s-no-exterior-do-que-no-brasil.htm#fotoNav=17

Carmem Miranda too, I think she is not in one of these lists!

Not knowing much about Pedro II, I was reading up on him and noticed in the Wikipedia article that he was 6' 3" and had blond hair and blue eyes. Perhaps the artists need to make some adjustments?

I guess I'm the only one that likes the look of Pedro!

I think he looks pretty nice. Sure, his beard is a lot shaggier than any picture I can find but he looks much better than Monty or Qin imo

Not knowing much about Pedro II, I was reading up on him and noticed in the Wikipedia article that he was 6' 3" and had blond hair and blue eyes. Perhaps the artists need to make some adjustments?

Most of the art I see of him shows him with brown hair outside of his childhood and in his old age

I was expecting Brazil to be DLC...not that I don't mind, would have preferred Incas in the base game instead. Pedro II looks like a character in a Dreamworks movie or something :lol:
So we gave a Carnaval and Minais Geraes as uniques, never thought of Brazil as a naval power.

I guess this is it for new Civ reveals this week, we still have ten or more Civs unrevealed.

Any Brazilians recognize the castle tower looking building in the background of Pedro's screen?

Most of the art I see of him shows him with brown hair outside of his childhood and in his old age

Yeah, I saw that as well so I was kind of confused. Perhaps his hair darkened with age until it turned white. :confused:

What would be fantastic is if we could have a thread where we discuss the video - not 10+ pages of people bickering about whether the civ (or leader, in the case of france) should be included in the game. There's a lot of interesting stuff in these videos, but nope, 80% of the comments are about whether Brazil should even be in the game.

Which is a pointless discussion in a thread that is literally about the civilization being included in the game already.

That said, I think the Great Person U.I. looks fantastic and I'm thrilled they're taking the colonization approach - The fact they didn't adopt that for civ5 after colonization was released between 4 and 5 made no sense to me. Individually unique Great Persons that all civilizations compete over is a clearly superior system to personalized pools. Civilizations should have more to compete over than just terrain and wonders.

IMO there is a good valid reason to have Brazil in CIV VI. The reason is that its good to have Civs from all eras. All the way from Sumeria to Brazil. It great that we also have civs that have their uniques and their "golden age" in modern time. Its not very interesting to have lots of civs from the same era and have 5 different versions of swords men or 5 different types of knights. I like Civs that are as different from each other as possible.

My thoughts exactly. After ethnic diversity, historical period diversity is fundamental. The game is as much about the Modern era as it is about the Ancient. We can't just ignore the role that Modern and Contemporary actors play in shaping human history. Post colonial nations had as much impact in humanity as some ancient empires and medieval kingdoms. It's just not that clear to us because we're living right now with them.

To the people suggesting Bandeirantes as Brazil's UU: you know that the Bandeirantes were primarily slavers right? Their expeditions were in large part to enslave local populaces. It would be far too cruelly ironic to have the Emancipator Pedro have the Bandeirantes as his UU.

They really should have made Brazil's UU more interesting though--maybe prohibitively high cost but great stats to allude to the fact only two were ever made.

I'm aware of that. They were still key for the expansion and occupation of territory in a unmatched scale for the period. What can we do? Spanish conquistators also did terrible things during their achievements and they'll be in the game.

Thinking of Bandeirantes, I think Brazil would be better suited with a growth/resource grabbing UA. Problem is that this didn't happen on Pedro II reign.

Speaking of him. To be fair, Pedro II reigned over a slaver society for 58 years. He wasn't in favor of slavery and the abolition costed him his crown, but he still reigned over a slaver society for 58 years. He can't be exempted for that.

To return briefly to Brazil's proposed UU: the battleship "Minais Gerais". To have to only give extra range and firepower is pretty lame: the original ship (which, by the way, was built in Great Britain by Armstrong - does this mean the British Royal Dockyard will be able to build ships for Other Civs? - talk about getting a diplomatic/trade/friendship boost!)

The Brazilian battleship only had a heavier broadside than other Dreadnaught Battleships for about 5 years - by 1915 it was totally eclipsed by the 'Super Dreadnaughts' being built in Britain and Germany.

But, the new Brazilian ships did give Brazil a major Diplomatic Boost as everyone, including the USA, suddenly wanted to be on Brazil's good side since they were the only nation south of Delaware - Southampton to have a dreadnaught. It would be much, much better for Brazil's 'UU Battleship' to give them a diplomatic boost - say, by visiting a port belonging to another Civ on a 'show the flag' tour if you want a specific mechanism - than a trait based on an extremely ephemeral historical development.

I was expecting Brazil to be DLC...not that I don't mind, would have preferred Incas in the base game instead. Pedro II looks like a character in a Dreamworks movie or something :lol:
So we gave a Carnaval and Minais Geraes as uniques, never thought of Brazil as a naval power.

I guess this is it for new Civ reveals this week, we still have ten or more Civs unrevealed.

Any Brazilians recognize the castle tower looking building in the background of Pedro's screen?

seems to me Ilha Fiscal, in Rio de Janeiro, build by the order of Pedro II at the end of his reign!

That said, I think the Great Person U.I. looks fantastic and I'm thrilled they're taking the colonization approach - The fact they didn't adopt that for civ5 after colonization was released between 4 and 5 made no sense to me. Individually unique Great Persons that all civilizations compete over is a clearly superior system to personalized pools. Civilizations should have more to compete over than just terrain and wonders.

Yeah the best part about the Brazil reveal was the Great People UI. Considering the diferent bonuses of GP, it would make versatility Brazil's real strong point.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing other civs geared to GP generation, and how they will compare Brazil's discount. Maybe stornger effects out of GP, getting to choose from diferent eras, or GP generation through conquest.

Aww man. They really are going to do it aren't they? Put Brazil in without having The Inca. Not that Brazil isn't cool, they're definitely a worthy addition to the series and 6's iteration does seem fun to play, but there's no way they should be in when The Inca aren't.

Oh well. Maybe we'll get lucky and it turns out either of the mystery leaders from the portrait wall is one of the Sapa Inca.

:sigh:

These are very much my thoughts as well. I don't think U.S.A. should be represented either. They should stick to civs that had been well established for many centuries. Perhaps save these modern colonial nations for an expansion with proper colonization mechanics, civil war, and nation fragmentation.

Frankly if U.S.A. were reaquired by England tomorrow, It's independance would be a minor footnote in history books 1000 years from now.

Even having mthese modern European states is pushing it a little imo.

Gross. That's the first thing I thought when seeing Pedro. He looks like one of Snow White's dwarfs.

Brazil, which I wish they held for DLC, looks interesting to play atleast. Though this I'm not ever worried about at all. Every civ so far seems real fun to try out. A crazy GPP game with Brazil is now on my list. And playing as them, I won't have to look at Sneezy.

I thought the appearance of Pedro is a little bizarre and odd, I must confess that his appearance in civ5 was better.

I don't know about video games/computer games but I believe they lead the world in board gamers per capita according to an article I saw on Boardgamegeek. :D

Here is the list of countries with their revenues of game markets. Link

Yeah, that's odd. I think this is an attempt to make him less european and more brazilian, even though he was of full european ascendency. In civ 5, they made him more brown skinned, but take a look on the Habsburg Austrian princess he called mother:

Spoiler :

And I don't think he was much of an outdoor type to get that level of tan.

These are very much my thoughts as well. I don't think U.S.A. should be represented either. They should stick to civs that have been well established for many centuries. Perhaps save these modern colonial nations for an expansion with proper colonization mechanics, civil war, and nation fragmentation.

But with the rate of tech boosts throughout the years some modern civs, eg USA, have done more for the world than ancient civs. Post colonial or not the US has changed the world as much as almost any civilization

Yeah, I saw that as well so I was kind of confused. Perhaps his hair darkened with age until it turned white. :confused:

Pretty sure it did, that's what usually happens to most people with darker blonde hair, it's not unusual at all.

Top Bottom