Brazilian elections 2022.

Who should you vote if you are Brazilian?

• Lula

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Bolsonaro

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Ciro Gomes

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Simone Tebet

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • André Janones

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Henri Christophe

L'empereur
Who should you vote if you are Brazilian?
And why?

Just to cast my vote, I will vote in Lula.

I've only heard of Lula and Bolansaro and of those 2 Lula would get my vote.
Are the other 3 all establishment politicians and do Brazilian elections have rounds?
If it went to a 2nd round I might vote for the Stop Bolonsaro candidate although that sort of thinking is how the French ended up with Macron :undecide:

Could you summarise these people?
Lula is a metalurgic of a left wing party.
Bolsonaro is a militar of a right wing party. Bolsonaro looks like a Brazilian's Trump.
Ciro Gomes is also of a left wing party, but less popular. He is from the same party as Getúlio Vargas, a former Brazilian president of much prestige.
Simone Tebet is a woman of the center party, her part is the oldest party and the biggest one, today is called MDB but when I born I called it PMDB.
About André Janones I don't know that much either XD

My knowledge of Brazilian politics extends as far as having some vague knowledge of the first two on the list, and based on that, while Lula is clearly a deeply flawed option, he's light-years ahead of Bolsonaro in my eyes.
This is 100% my understanding.

Lula is a metalurgic of a left wing party.
Bolsonaro is a militar of a right wing party. Bolsonaro looks like a Brazilian's Trump.
Ciro Gomes is also of a left wing party, but less popular. He is from the same party as Getúlio Vargas, a former Brazilian president of much prestige.
Simone Tebet is a woman of the center party, her part is the oldest party and the biggest one, today is called MDB but when I born I called it PMDB.
About André Janones I don't know that much either XD
Could you summarise these people?

*Steelworker, not metalurgic. Lula's (PT) political career originates from being an important union leader in São Paulo during the 1980s, running for president a bunch of times, and actually being President from 2002 to 2010.

Jair Bolsonaro (PL) is a former army captain who was kicked out after trying to bomb his own barracks for higher wages. He became a Congressman representing Rio de Janeiro for 28 years (1990-2018) and has been sitting President since being elected in 2018.

Ciro Gomes (PDT) comes from a local political dynasty and was a State Legislator in Ceará from 1983 to 1988, Mayor of Fortaleza from 1988 to 1990, Governor of Ceará from 1991 to 1994, Minister of Finance from 1994 to 1995 (importantly, only a few months after the Plano Real went into effect), Minister for National Integration from 2003 to 2006, and Congressman for Ceará from 2006 to 2010. He was also an unsuccessful Presidential candidate several times, most notably in 2018. Has similar policies as Lula but somewhat more developmentalist and much more ego-driven. The PDT isn't the same party as Getúlio Vargas (The two pro-Varguist successor parties in the aftermath of his dictatorship and death were the PSD and PTB, both of which were forcibly ended by the military dictatorship. Although the founder of the PDT was pro-Vargas, that's pretty much entirely irrelevant to today's politics).

Simone Tebet (MDB) also comes from a political family. She was State Legislator in Mato Grosso do Sul from 2002 to 2004, Mayor of Três Lagoas from 2004 to 2010, Vice-Governor of Mato Grosso do Sul from 2010 to 2014, and has been Senator for Mato Grosso do Sul since then. She made a name for herself during the Covid-19 investigations against the Bolsonaro administration in 2021. Although the MDB is certainly an important party, Brazilian politics is so fragmented that it's not really accurate to call any party the "biggest in the country".

André Janones (Avante) is a former bus conductor and lawyer. He made a name for himself representing truck drivers during a huge strike in 2018 and was elected Congressman for Minas Gerais later that year. Although his political party is in the Centrão, he did an interview a couple days ago in which he promoted several left-wing positions (such as a wealth tax) and mentioned meeting with Lula, which has prompted some media speculation that he'll become Lula's successor in the future.

As the polls go, the standings are the following (according to Datafolha):

-Lula: 47%
-Bolsonaro: 29%
-Ciro: 8%
-Tebet: 2%
-Janones: 1%
-Everyone else: 0-1%
-Blank/Null: 6%
-Don't Know: 3%

Keep in mind that Brazil uses a two-round voting system, which means that if Lula gets >50% of all valid votes (i.e. excluding blank and null votes) in the first round then he wins right then and there. If he gets <50% of all valid votes, there's a second round of voting between Lula and Bolsonaro.

Last edited:
I dont know much about candidates but Lula seems like old-fashioned corrupted power-thirsty old man who screwed multiple times. Why do you vote him?

I envy Brazilians now... at least you can kick your idiotic dog of a president now...
It was 4 long years with Bolsonaro, you deserve now our time to do elections again. And about your country? When is the elections?

I dont know much about candidates but Lula seems like old-fashioned corrupted power-thirsty old man who screwed multiple times. Why do you vote him?
I think when Lula was president the life was better. Lula build a lot of universities and helped to control the misery.
I know there was courruption in his governement, but which governement don't have it?

if you think lula is an old-fashioned corrupted power-thirsty old man who screwed multiple times you should see bolsonaro
Exactly this! It is true that Lula (and Dilma) oversaw the highly corrupt construction of stadia for the 2016 Olympic Games and the 2014 World Cup and a lot of people died, (and he pleaded guilty, later the conviction was quashed) but then Brazil went nuts and voted Bolsonaro who just did everything worse and didn't even pretend to care (I still remember him on O Globo saying that he didn't care about people dying of COVID because people die anyway).

Last edited:
Brazilian elections news: André Janones give up to be candidate and now is supporting Lula.

Is there a sense in Brazil that Bolsonaro might try to pull a Trump and ignore the election if he loses?

Is there a sense in Brazil that Bolsonaro might try to pull a Trump and ignore the election if he loses?
I think you are right and Bolsonaro will try to do a State coup if he loses in the elections. I just hope he can't do it because Brazilians institutions need to be strong against this kind of person as USA was strong against Trump's try of State coup.

Top Bottom