1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brazilian Empire? Governments in Exile?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by XenoSaber, Nov 3, 2008.

1. XenoSaber

XenoSaber Chieftain

Is it possible to have the name of a country change depending on the location of the capital? More than once I have seen Portugal pushed off of Europe, but survive on in Brazil. Since this actually happened historically, would it be possible to have Portugal be called the Empire of Brazil if the Portuguese capital is moved to the country?

It would be interesting to see if name changes could happen to other countries as well, especially European ones, if they are pushed off of Europe but survive elsewhere. Perhaps give them "such and such Government in Exile" as the name of their government.

Not sure if this would be too much detail, or even workable, but I thought perhaps I could throw this out there.

And if this has been suggested before, my apologies in advance; I've looked through this board a lot, but I didn't see the suggestion.

2. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Yeah, that would be fun playing conquest games with alternate capitals in exile:
    Russian:Siberia
    German: New Guinea (which I've seen built many times)
    Dutch:north Australia
    French:Magadascar
    Japanese:philippines
    Spain: southern Chile
    America: northeastern Brazil (they sometimes build near that oil)
    Vikings: Northeastern tip of NAm
    England: Queen-Maharajah Victoria in India:king:

3. Verily

Verily Prince

The most common for the Dutch for me is usually South Africa. I even once saw them build quite an empire (five cities, impressive for Africa) down there long after having lost Amsterdam. The Boer Republics? The Orange Free State? (Oranj-Vrijstaat?)

4. zbelg

zbelg Warlord

Personally I'd love this, I like sneaking settlers off to another continent if things get too rough and it'd be interesting if my game changed with it.

Only thing I could think of is, what happens if they can take their original capital back? I don't usually see the AI rebuild palaces, so would the Portugese forever just be Brazil with a little European colony?

5. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I agree with Verily I more often see them in Africa

I always see these guys with colonies in Canada

But yeah, this sounds like an awsome idea!

6. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

I would say, if they get their capital back, they should get a triumphal arch or at least a boost in happiness/stability. (Very easily exploitable though)

The examples I've been providing are almost becoming routine with me playing conquest now. I've even seen an Arabian government in exile in Mombasa and a Turkish government in Carthage.

7. XenoSaber

XenoSaber Chieftain

This is a good question, not really sure how I would deal with it. After all, moving your capital causes instability; forcing a change back might be a bad idea.

Some countries, it might just be a good idea to give them a generic name for their government in exile. For instance, if Britain has Canada, Australia, and South Africa, and moves to Canada, should it change to "Canadian Empire"? Or British Government in Exile?

Further, my experience has been that few European countries exist for long once being pushed outside of their core area. Portugal and the Netherlands seem to be the only two countries that can last for a long time (and even then, them seem to randomly fall apart). Should this be taken into account? (I would love to see Portugal be able to be pretty stable if it just has control of Brazil.)

8. Cethegus

Cethegus King

How about British Canada? I can't see a reason why it couldn't happen with the dynamic civ names. As for the short description, name it Canada. Simple and easy.

9. sercer88

sercer88 Emperor

maybe I could give this a look.

Anybody have any ideas where to start? (which file I have to change...)

My thoughts:
    There is an XML file I need to change (change the actual names)
    and there is surely a python file or more that would have to be modified (any ideas?)

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

it would be hard to do, since we don't know exactly where the capital would be moved, it varies from game to game.
    For anyone interested, the handling of dynamic names is in the sdk, but python is involved too (RiseAndFall.py) because the condition that a civ that has lost the home region dies in a few turns should be disabled

11. Cethegus

Cethegus King

Question, though... since the Turks' capital auto-moves to Istanbul right after capturing it, couldn't it be coded that if Britain has colonies in Canada, the palace would auto-move itself there if it came to lose either just London or all of its British cities. This could be helped by determining that Halifax becomes the capital if Britain loses London, but I'm not sure if that's possible. What about re-naming the civ's description depending on where its capital is? If Britain founds Toronto, Jamesville, Halifax or Fort Albany and the palace is moved to any of those cities, it would re-name itself as Canada. Is this possible to pull off?

12. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Can't (shouldn't) be done. It's very possible that Britain has larger colonies in South Africa or South America rather than Canada (at least if you play as human) so the largest city is currently chosen as the new capital. Renaming capitals should work but might take a lot of checking each turn (i.e. slowing the game down).

13. pully30

pully30 Chieftain

well say if portugal has 5 cities in brazil but has taken quelimaine from the natives in africa it could be called the brazillian empire if it looses its euroopean cities and if it only has brazilian colonies it can be called brazil, brizilian republic, islamic brazilian republic etc it just depends on what its biggest colony is for that country so e.g britian : Candain empire, australian republic, commonweatlh of south africa. France: Loisiana empire, Quebec republic, Algerian state etc

14. Nahtanoj

Nahtanoj Alaskan President

so even if they are non existent in europe? or for when they're still there?

15. Fanaza

Fanaza Warlord

I don't agree with this. What if you want to play as a colonial power? What if I want to be know as the British Empire, etc? I think the changes should only come if someone manually, or through conquest or collapse, changes their capital.

16. I-imp

I-imp Warlord

Perhaps the name should be based on the continent with the most cities with the largest size. In other words, by population.