Brazil's crusade against tourism?

I think the pilot was just dumb...everybody knows that you do not jerk the chain of a customs official...clearly an intensely stupid individual. You can even see the beginnings of a dense smirk on his chops.

Originally posted by Chauliodus

Yes, because all terrorist are Arabs :rolleyes:

No, because there was not a single case of international terrorism perpetrated by a brazilian, never.

Originally posted by luiz

No, because there was not a single case of international terrorism perpetrated by a brazilian, never.
Why do I seem to be the only American that understands this?

USA authorities should however understand that Brazil citizens are not a menace to them and stop fingerprinting them.

they are quite the menace, they are amoung the top groups of people detained for living here illegally. Besides the US is requiring fingerprints for everyone that needs a visa to enter the US, Brazil on the other hand is doing it just to give a symbolic middle finger to the US.

Not quite. There are 27 nations that are exempt from the US fingerprinting. Among those are nations where terrorists like to stop over on the way here, potentially.

Originally posted by The Yankee
Not quite. There are 27 nations that are exempt from the US fingerprinting. Among those are nations where terrorists like to stop over on the way here, potentially.

and what i heard is they don't require visas either, so that still makes my statement true.

Anyway, I think somone from europe is less likely to move to the US illegally

Originally posted by Shadylookin

and what i heard is they don't require visas either, so that still makes my statement true.

Anyway, I think somone from europe is less likely to move to the US illegally

Yes, someone from Europe is less likely to move their illegally, but far more likely to commit a terrorist attempt(then a south-american). Isn't this all about fighting terrorism?
Some people involved on the 9-11 attacks were from Germany, and the infamous "man with shoe-bomb" is english. Yet people from this nations are not required fingerprinting. Can't you see the hipocrisy? This is not fighting terrorism at all.

I thought it was started as a screening against terrorists, not illegals. Which is why Brazil leaves me scratching my head.

Why does everything have to have a direct immediate impact to be useful?

Is advertising worth it? Business's don't know if someone comes into their store because of an advertisment they saw, or becasue they happened to pass it, or what. But, business's still advertise because they know that if they don't there will likely be less customers.

Even with the short-term benefit of weeding out the obvious attempts at using a false name and such, I don't think the finger printing and photo process will stop terrorist from coming into the country or will stop terrorist acts from happening, for now.

But, as the system has been in place for awhile they will have a database of travelers. They can use that to see patterns of movement for certain passengers. So, if something does happen in the future, they can track back through that persons file and see any patterns or similarities that have occured. That may help avoid future incidences.

Information is power. Hopefully we have some people that are smart enough to use it correctly at some point.

Brazil has every right to do their own process. There's no way the US should think that Sept 11 gives them a free pass with the world to do what they want with no reprocussions.

The first incident of a new process is usually punished rather severely to send a message to all others who may think of doing anything similarly. He knew what he was doing, let him pay.

Agreed. Okay, so there are two people in America that isn't out to bomb Brazil because of this....

Just as the US had the right to put in this system, so does Brzil. We can't tell Brazil what to do on this. And I don't think this is some crusade against tourism. That's taking it too far.

Seriously speaking, I'm not sure Al Qaeda is that strong in Brazil. Being fingerprinted and taken in pictures for just a business trip in the US can be badly seen. I understand Brazil's decision to do the same actually... not necessarily by vengeance, just to make the point about the stupidity of such a thing. Once you have the pictures of 20 million travellers, do you really think it would be that easy to find datas again ? Do they take also DNA ? Doing that to americans would be more useful...

If I were controlled this way whatever the country is, I would feel to be almost considered as a prisonner without having done any crime.

By the way, just a small thing about what Simon has said, considering the americans have the right to do it and not the brazilians is considering brazilians to not be equal to americans...

You could put all those pictures in a computer database.

I think taking DNA would really be pushing it, Americans or anyone else. Think about how much scrutiny a policy like that would face.

An American citizen is more likely to perpetrate a terrorist act in the USA than a Brazilian citizen.

That alone shows how stupid this is. PATRIOT is being used more and more to stop illegal immigrants and crack down on normal crimes [by methods formerly illegal as civil rights violations], not fight the terrorism which was the excuse for its creation.

well we've been requiring visas before 9/11, back when only terrorist acts against America were by American citizens. So i would say terrorism wasn't the only reason we have the visa, but i don't really know seeing as i've never got to ask an agent since i don't need one being a citizen and all.

Originally posted by The Yankee
You could put all those pictures in a computer database.

I think taking DNA would really be pushing it, Americans or anyone else. Think about how much scrutiny a policy like that would face.
Well, according to me, it's easier to find the DNA of someone among 20 million people in a computer database than to find one picture among 20 million in a computer database. However, I might be wrong.

They will have names and fingerprints with those pictures too. Sounds like some kind of database police or the FBI would use.

**** brazil, these arguements are stupid, brazil has the right to put in a screening system like us, but they're a bunch of whoresa nd they're just screening AMERICANS, no one else, if you don't understand whats wrong with that your an idiot.
Waiting for the mods..
Moderator Action: No more waiting. bashing, vulgarity, flaming. 5 days vacation to freindly Rio.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The mew measures are intended more for immigration purposes than terrorist security. They will screen out many many more ordinary criminals than terrorists, and provide the basis for tracking and controlling false uses of visas, overstays of visas, and many other immigration violations. The 27 'exempted' countries do not present an ecconomic immigration problem (which should have been a clue to anybody here what the main target is) and have a different (more high tech) immigration identification program comming into effect for them in some months. To maintain their visa free status, IIRC, they will have to implement some sort of an electronic ID system (thus the time delay vs the low tech measures for visa-ed visitors.).
Brazil, with no economic or illegal immigration problem, and not being targeted, to my knowledge, for terrorist attack has nothing to gain by such controls. They will gets all the costs of adding the security and irritating tourists and business travelers, and gain almost nothing in return, other than maybe catching a terrorist in transit through Brazil to the USA

Top Bottom