1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brazil's UU: Pracinhas

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Lecen, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Lecen

Lecen Chieftain

Well, it seems everyone was wrong after all. According to na website the Brazilian UU will be the Pracinhas (literally "Little soldiers"). "Pracinha" (in the singular) was the name given to every Brazilian soldier who fought in World War II (Brazil fought in Italy against Nazi Germany).

Source: http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-not...-tera-dom-pedro-ii-e-soldados-brasileiros.htm

Request: Could any administrator remove the "[ i ]" and "[ / i ]" from the title of this topic, please?

Attached Files:

2. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Shouldn't this be in the Brazil thread?

Anyways, interesting choice. Of course, Brazil could always have a second UU, so it might not be just the Pracinhas - though to be honest I think Brazil would have a UB/UI rather than a second UU. I would still think a UU from Pedro II's time would be better, but who knows.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Ok, that's out of left field. What makes them unique?

ANd you should probably submit this to the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

A quick Google Translate of the article doesn't say anything about what they do. The word translates to Grunts according to Google.

4. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

How obscure... Google search doesn't even bring them up.

I was also hoping for something contemporaneous with Pedro.

Edit: Nevermind, they didn't show up under "Pracinha," rather Brazilian Expeditionary Force.

Still disappointing; my enthusiasm for Brazil just dropped a bit.

5. Arbustro

Arbustro Warlord

What a terrible choice....

6. Lecen

Lecen Chieftain

Because their official name was Força Expedicionária Brasileira (Brazilian Expeditionary Force) and they were called "Expedicionários" (Expeditionaries). Check:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Expeditionary_Force_(FEB)

The Developers opted for the popular name.

7. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Very situational UA that seems tailored for only one victory and a very late game UU. I really hope Brazil will get one of the best UBs in the game to compensate for that.

8. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

They sound like this expansion's Ethiopia: situational UA, late game UU, amazing UB (hope they get one).

9. aluelkdf

aluelkdf Prince

Brazil's UA should be "energy independence". They should be allowed to use sugar resources to build oil based units if they have no oil.

10. Akinaba

Akinaba Warlord

Propound something better?

11. Eagle Pursuit

I would speculate that these are an Infantry replacement and they are cheaper and gain experience faster. And maybe start with the defense against ranged promotion. These guys withstood a direct artillery barrage in Italy.

12. Liex

Liex King

It can get worse: What if Brazil has two UUs, just like Sweden?

Well, the Pracinhas were a possibility, not the best one since the UA seems to be completely useless early/mid game.

Here's an old suggestion:

13. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

There are several civs here the UB is their actual UA because it's much more powerful (Arabia for example), but I can't really imagine a nation as young as Brazil getting a UB that comes early enough to make much of a difference.
    But since we only heard about Carneval and didn't see a screenshot with the description, there's hope that there is more to it. Like a reduced happiness threshold to get a Golden Age.

14. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

There's a whole thread of ideas and suggestions in the Brazil thread.

I like the Brazilian UA, albeit situational. A late game land UU though is hard to be to excited about.

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Ignoring the fact that I do agree that there's better choices for Brazil's UU, such as the Fatherland Corps/Volunteers/Whatever, I do like the fact that at least there's a late-game UU for once - frankly, one thing that's bothered me since UUs were introduced in Civ3 was that most of them are for the early and middle game, with very few for the late game even after expansions. If I do take part in large military campaigns, it's usually in the late game, so the Pracinha might suit my playstyle.

That said I do hope they have a good UB or second UU to make up for the late game focus - though I think a UB is more likely.

16. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Brazil strikes me as a single UU civ. I expect a UB/UI over a second UU.

17. MisterSaturnine

MisterSaturnine Warlord

I'm still holding out hope that they'll be cool. For one, the Smoking Snake is an awesome logo, and will probably be the image on their icon. And don't forget that part of the whole point of BNW is to make the late game more dynamic - perhaps the Pracinhas will prove useful in the late game wars of ideologies, and have some kind of fun bonus to change the way infantry might be used. I'll reserve my judgment for when I see the full Brazilian package (that might have come out wrong).

18. Eagle Pursuit

Those troops served under an American command in Italy. Maybe you can temporarily gift them to other civs and city-states and they come back with experience.

19. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Quick question, since I don't speak Portuguese, is this google translation correct?

"Exclusive to PC, "Brave New World" does not require "Civilization V" original to play"

Exclusivo para PC, "Brave New World" não requer o "Civilization V" original para jogar.

20. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Based of my (limited) knowledge of Spanish (related to Portuguese), that seems to be what it says.

I also ran it through Google Translate; considering that that line is one of the more grammatically correct, I'd take that to mean that it is a pretty solid translation.

Not unexpected; G&K was also a standalone expansion, was it not? Or maybe I'm thinking of some other game...