1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by dannyshenanigan, Jun 7, 2010.

?

Do you like the show Breaking Bad?

1. Yes.

61.7%
  2. No.

3.3%
  3. Other.

5.0%
  4. Never seen it.

30.0%
  1. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Emperor

Anyone here watch this excellent show on AMC? It's my favorite show on television. For those who are unaware, it's about a mild-mannered high school chemistry teacher named Walt who gets inoperable lung cancer. He is married and has a son with cerebral palsy and another child on the way. In order to pay for his treatment and provide for his family after he's gone he starts cooking meth without his family knowing. To add a little more drama, his brother in law is an officer in the DEA.
    The shows purpose is not to defend the illegal drug industry in any way, because in the end it looks like Walt's actions have dire consequences for him and his family.

The theme of the show is about how Walt battles with his morality and his desire to do the best for his family. His character is thoroughly transformed through his experiences with his sickness, maintaining a secret double life, and getting wrapped up in the seedy underworld of drug dealing. The actor Bryan Cranston does a brilliant job portraying Walt.

2. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I have, though I've missed a lot of the episodes from season 3 so far as a result of always working Sunday night.

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

I saw the first episode of this and thought it was excellent. Bryan Cranston was very good in it - as in everything. But I never saw another episode, because it was on at such a dreadfully late and inconvenient time. It's an unfortunate habit of many British TV channels to buy excellent American series and then schedule them to death.

4. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I've seen the first three episodes, and it looks like an excellent show. It was very creative. Alas, the plot doesn't interest me at all, no matter how good the show is.

Same thing with the Godfather. It's supposed to be one of the best movies of all time, but it simply doesn't interest me.

5. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

I've seen Season One and Two. I really like it.

Favourite scene:

Link to video.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I started watching it last week with my roommate, and we are already up to season 3 episode 4.

It's an amazing show and I am considering putting it above The Wire and Six Feet Under, as my favourite tv show ever.

7. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Emperor

It looks like nobody has seen season 3. There is one episode left, but I can say that this was the best season by far. Some of the most intense scenes I've ever seen on television. I hope that everyone who enjoyed the first couple seasons gets to see season 3.

8. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

Ive seen all but one episode from the third season, and its been pretty good, though I think the first two seasons were just as good.

The only thing is I didnt much care for the fly episode. It did show Walters decreasing mental stability, but it seemed like the writers were just one episode short of a season and needed to fill time.

9. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Prince

RUN; JESSIE, RUN!

Love the show, pretty high standard. Not sure if i would say it's better than the sopranos or six feet under though.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

We just finished catching up and are eagerly awaiting the season finale this sunday

Man oh man, what a good show. Can't believe we watched 3 seasons in a week and a half

11. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Emperor

I agree that the fly episode in season 3 wasn't the best episode, but most of the other episodes have been outstanding. The last episode before the season finale was the best yet. Without giving away any spoilers, the car scene and "Run Jesse, run" was the obvious highlight. It was just so intense and shocking.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The fly episode was just weird. It drove me nuts, but at the same time I liked it cause it was just so different..

13. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Emperor

That was a good season finale, but I'm a little irked that it was a cliff hanger that I will have to wait a year for it to pick back up again. They left it slightly ambiguous as to whether Jesse killed Gale, but I don't see any other plausible outcome. I do feel bad for poor Gale.

Hard to say exactly what will happen next season. Obviously it will involve a showdown between Gus, Walt and Jesse, and the Mexican cartels. Skyler and Hank will need something to do as well.

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I liked the finale, but am annoyed that I'm going to have to wait so long to see the resolution of all this crazyness, after watching most of the series in under 2 weeks..

15. Duo

Duo Stay out of my territory.

Apparently Fly was an episode they made on the cheap to keep down production costs... at least for one week, because it apparently costs $3 million/episode. I think they're getting their money's worth, it's consistently been the best looking thing on TV in... well, pretty much ever. Gorgeous cinematography, brilliant acting, incredible writing. I like it more than anything on TV right now (even Mad Men!).

I actually quite liked Fly, though it was a little jarring how it was basically amusing for the first half then quite serious, but I did like both parts in and of themselves... Kind of kept up the same joke for a long time, too.

And I love the pre-credits sequences! they're consistently pretty great, i'm especially fond of the song in s2e07 (can't remember the name of the episode) and of the sequences before half measures, i think, with wendy the hooker...

dannyshenanigan:
    Spoiler :
    Gale is dead! According to Vince Gilligan it was some sort of post production accident... there was not supposed to be any ambiguity in the scene at all http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...ator-vince-gilligan-post-mortems-season-three

so yeah, think the show is pretty amazing right now. i suppose i am slightly worried they will not be able to keep this sort of standard up, but if anyone can do it...

16. Dudemeister

Dudemeister Prince

the heisenberg narco corrido was easily the highlight of the show. :lol:

17. Olav

Olav Ah-Ha!

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Man, we were laughing so hard at that pizza scene. I wonder how many times they had to shoot that :lol:

19. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Emperor

Apparently Breaking Bad is being picked up by ABC, but it looks like they may be missing the point :lol:.

Link to video.

20. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

So, opinions on the season four finale ?
    I think it was awesome, except for this one narmy scene where a guy casually walks out of a room and adjusts his tie.
    The episode could have been a good series finale as well. I wonder what they'll do in season five.