1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by dannyshenanigan, Jun 7, 2010.

?

Do you like the show Breaking Bad?

1. Yes.

61.7%
  2. No.

3.3%
  3. Other.

5.0%
  4. Never seen it.

30.0%
  1. de Maistre

de Maistre Comte

Spoiler :
    I agree that Gus's death was over the top and that overall it was a great episode. I think the fifth season will continue a Scarface style rise and fall; Walt/Heisenberg is the new Gus, and presumably the show will detail his decline and conclude either with his arrest or his death.

2. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Chieftain

I don't know if there is anyone is reading this thread that doesn't want to be spoiled, but-
    Spoiler :
    On one hand I thought that Gus's death was cool, but on the other hand it didn't seem very realistic. It certainly seemed like the series wraped up fairly well and that could have been a decent series finale. From what I understand the creators weren't sure that the show was going to be picked up for another season when they wrote it. There will still be plenty of plot elements that can be explored next season.

So it turned out that Walt poisoned Brock after all. After thinking about it after the second from last episode I guessed right. I didn't think it was ricin but I figured that through Sal, Brock was poisoned with something that wouldn't be fatal. Sal's bodyguard, Huell was able to steal Jessie's cigarettes when he frisked him.
    I think we haven't seen the last of Mike; paraphrasing Gandalf the Grey:
    "My heart tells me that [Mike] has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before this is over."

3. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Spoiler :

I have to say though that something about the ending seemed 'wrong' for a series finale. While I would be happy if everything works out fine for Walt in the end, the overall tone of most of the series is "it got worse'. A happy ending for Breaking Bad is almost as shocking as the season four finale of Dexter (the one with the bathtub).
    The last season will probably deal with the fallout of Gus' death. The guy must have left quite a power vacuum in the american drug trade and has powerful allies in Chile. The explosion that killed Gus and Hector, and the destruction of the laundromat/methlab is bound to raise some eyebrows with the DEA.

4. holy king

holy king Chieftain

happy ending?

a man, alone on a rooftop, at the end of a 4 year journey that transformed him from regular chemistry teacher into someone shooting people in the face without so much as flinching and not even stopping at killing children (pure chance brock survived) to reach his goals is NOT a happy ending in my opinion.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Not to mention the uncertainty of the new power vacuum..
    Spoiler :
    Just because Walt is dead doesn't mean that Hank is any safer now.. Could be the opposite

I watched the season finale last night and I gotta say, I really enjoyed this season. It's been much better than the last 2 seasons and possibly even better than the 1st.

6. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

Happy endind as in...
    Spoiler :

... 'I won'.
    He's neither dead nor imprisoned, Hank is alive, Jesse is alive and Walt's family is alive, Gus died after first having wiped out the cartel and the police seems to think Gale was Heisenberg.
    It's really the best possible outcome Walt could have hoped for considering how the season started.

7. dannyshenanigan

dannyshenanigan Chieftain

I also wonder if anything will come of...
    Spoiler :
    Ted's death

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I watched the 1st episode of the 1st season on recommendation of this thread. Holy crap, that show sure came out swinging! Excellent so far! I will have to hold myself back so I make it last.

If they can continue at the original standard I'd be very impressed! :)

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Couldn't resist watching 2nd episode also (about halfway thru). Only thing that seems a bit off is, wouldn't the police try to, you know, go after The Captain after nabbing his partner?

Man, got sucked in & watched 1st four episodes. Episode four was pretty damn slow/dull. The druggie kid's family part was boooooring! Can you really blow up a dude's car by putting a windshield cleaner on the battery? The whole "I've got cancer, **** the world" bit is getting a little played out, hopefully we'll be getting back to some action soon!

10. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Fanstastic show :D

11. chegel

chegel Chieftain

Spoiler :

Jesse still has to wonder where the ricin went now that he knows that Brock was poisoned by something else.

And I wonder how Skyler will react now that she knows that her man is in fact the one who knocks. She doesn't look too happy on the phone. Maybe she could suspect Walt of having something to do with Ted's death, too. (He is dead, isn't he?)

When Jesse walks away from Walt in the parking deck in the end the camera perspective changes to some lower level place which would be quite a good spot for someone observing the two. I wonder if this means something.

12. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Spoiler :
    After a couple boring episodes it got good again. I'm on season 2 already. Holy crap that Tico is violent. They really need to kill him and/or deal with someone else or something.

13. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Man the wife takes up waaaay too much screen time! :sleep:

14. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Just finished season four.

Spoiler :

And wow. Excellent season. Though I didn't like the manner of Gus' death, just walking out adjusting his tie. Surely he would be in some sort of writhing agony after having half his face blown off. Can't wait to see what happens in season 5.

15. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

Guess Im the only person who likes the "Face Off" I love ridiculously awesome and over the top!

I doubt there will be any lacking of conflict and struggle in the final season. S#it can go downhill real fast.

Spoiler :
    He didnt die

16. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

I've only seen the one where they killed the drug dealer in the basement, it was rather heart wrenching since he'd built such a seemingly-close bond with the dealer. Sure is a learning experience and explains why the criminals always harden their hearts - trust all too often is a quick road to death in such a dirty business!

Since that episode had a rather gory opening(the bloody mess that was once another drug dealer splattering on the floor) it was what caught my attention and caused me to flip back a channel. I thought it was really clever, overall, especially how he was able to determine the drug dealer had stashed a shard of the plate in his pocket!

17. Narz

Narz keeping it real

A bunch of thoughts on the show (spoilered as some plot details mentioned)

Spoiler :
    I'm halfway thru season two now, just after the bust of the dealer & the addition of Saul (the lawyer character). Overall I'm still pretty impressed. That said, it seems suspicious/unrealistic that the cops wouldn't probe more deeply into Pinkman considering his history, his obvious involvement in Tuco's death.

Just finished episode 4 (season 2) where (at the end, after Walt & Jesse almost die of thirst in the dessert) Walt finds out his cancer is 80% gone. After which he flips out in the bathroom, seemingly enraged about this.

As much as I like the show, I find it very hard to relate to Walt. I'm the type of person who will take what he can get & won't look a gift horse in the mouth. My father was more like Walt, rejecting help, taking economy class on planes even though his business was willing to pay for 1st, tight-lipped, easily aggravated, etc. I just don't understand that way of thinking. He hates/resents his rich ex-partner (and ex-girlfriend?) for cutting him out of GrayMatter & gets even... by not taking their money? Instead he's dealing/selling meth which I'm having a hard time believing is "more moral" than just accepting some money from an ex-friend...

By far the weak point in the show is the interactions between Walt & his wife (and to some degree his son). There seems to be zero real chemestry there. I don't know whether it's because the wife is a bad actress or because Walt is supposed to be so awkward with women or what but it's painful to watch those scenes. He says he's "doing this for his family" but his family is thoroughly uninspiring & he doesn't seem to want to spend much time with them anyway (the cancer & the drugs are a nice excuse).

The show started out strong but it's weak point is the melodrama to action ratio which is much higher in some episodes than others. Maybe it's just that I have my fill of that in my own domestic life but it just doesn't do much for me. I think it could be reduced by 50% or more & the show would still be great/better. Maybe they're trying to appeal to a female audience.

18. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Greatest twitter feed ever

19. Narz

Narz keeping it real

:lol:

Spoiler :
    Frankly, I'm really starting to not like Walt. The way he bugged out when he found out his cancer was in remission? WTF? Also, forcing his son to drink until he puked. Again, WTF? And not even giving a s*** that he got that guy killed with his "expand our turf" plan. He likes to act all holier than thou but in actuality he's a selfish, prideful prick. He could have just swallowed his pride & accepted the money from GrayMatter but noooo... he had to keep selling, selling a drug that isn't exactly healthy for people & now Pink's buddy is dead.

The show is still captivating (with generous heapings of boring melodrama) but I watch out of curiosity rather than empathizing with Walt. Halfway thru episode 11 of season 2 BTW.

20. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I was lucky - roommate and I started watching the first season, promptly got hooked, and watched Half Measures and Full Measure a couple of weeks before season 4 premiered. It's gonna really suck waiting for season 5. I will applaud them for not being irritatingly cliffhangery in really any of the finales.

Probably will re-watch from S01E01 just for the hell of it.

:agree:

I saw a video where they talked about the making of it, but I cannot for the life of me find the damn thing again, just ten million copies of the same damn shot.

Source?

It's a pretty huge step in Walt's road to Scarface.

That's the idea! I'm still amazed at how sympathetic I was to Walt in the first couple of episodes.