Breaking Ice

buck beach

Prince
Is there a deviation of breaking ice in RI versus other Mods.

I've achieved Combustion but my work boats still are unable to enter an ice tile.

Please disregard question, I found the answer.

Actually, would someone clarify/reiterate the answer here as well? I read the first half of the main thread for the mod, and their inability to traverse ice was ruled out as a "broken feature." I wasn't aware that that got reincluded.

So, once you have the tech for the advanced destroyers (whose name right now escapes me) you can do this, or do you literally need those units to break the ice?

Literally those units (to be precise, WW2 destroyers and their modern upgrades). I thought about making a separate icebreaker unit for a while, but it seemed too niche. I might end up removing the feature altogether - I'll look into the feature and see if AI is aware of it (it was added literally a decade ago and not touched since). If not, away it goes.

Last edited:
I am in a game now where it could come in handy - some of my northern cities have their growth restricted from mounting ice.

Some time away from radar though, and I play slowly, very slowly :D

I'll keep an eye open to see if the AIs make use of the function, if not I can at least try it myself, tnx.

Edit, a quick look at the map shows that the only AI that could potentially use the ability are the Germans, my vassal, but they're still armed with muskets so that's no good...

Last edited:
Interesting. As I'm sure we all can attest to, there are certainly times where ice defines a late game naval strategy (should one be necessary) so I'm glad I learned this! While it most likely won't be relevant in my current game, I'm (finally) doing quite well on monarch and it's a great feeling. The current head-scratcher is timing expansion, as I've gone quite wide and am dominating on land, though my tech is lagging pretty seriously at this point. It's late medieval so I'm awaiting to see how impactful entering the renaissance and getting the finance techs and infrastructure will be.

But anyway... back to the point: Snowgerry, how about a WB scenario? I can set up a duel archipelago map, give the other civ destroyers and their upgrades, and myself age of sail ships which are bound to lose, and cleave the "prime meridian" with a solid line of ice, enter the game and then DoW the civ to see if they know how to move through it. If no one else would like to try this I'd be happy to this weekend. I know nothing of the inner workings of the AI or about its programming, but it seems to me that this is a pretty surefire way to test it.

Just ran a test, and yep: the AI not only knows how to attack through ice, but also to move through it and attack from an outstanding water tile. I tested this with both regular destroyers and ECM destroyers, and both seemed to treat it as no barrier.

EDIT: Unsure how to post image files so that they show up without being downloadable attachments, sorry.

Also, I would suggest adding a movement cost penalty, if the feature is going to be kept. It might already be there, but I forgot to check when I was running the test.

Another thought that came to me is perhaps additionally making ice-breaking a promotion like "skilled pilot" for not taking damage in reefs? AFAIK this is still a fairly rare ability in modern navies. I think lighter ships which can break ice are more or less rare and also especially equipped for it, which would make sense being modeled as a promotion.

Attachments

• Civ4BeyondSword 2022-03-05 10-37-52-52.bmp
    5.9 MB · Views: 32
  • Civ4BeyondSword 2022-03-05 10-38-06-68.bmp
    5.9 MB · Views: 31
  • Civ4BeyondSword 2022-03-05 10-39-57-01.bmp
    5.9 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Well I forced myself to hit end turn repeatedly, and in Oct 1921 my scientists discover radar.

I can report the feature works as intended for the player as well, your destroyers immediately gain the ability to move through the ice and can remove it entirely over the course +/- 4 turns/destroyer.

Top Bottom