Breakup of the Eurozone

I was also merely estimating, which is why the is some margin of error in what I said.
It is only by including the area between the edge of my map and the Urals that the line even approaches Belarus, to which I'm still not sure it makes it.

Cut the map in the west closer to Iceland and it will make it. :) As of now, you're including lots and lots and lots of empty ocean.

Also, the cartographic projection makes the map a little bit tilted with the west lower than the east, if you projected it with a line going through the middle of Europe as the point of reference, it would be easier to see. :)

I was specifically not taking the ocean into account as I was measuring from the west edge of Portugal, but you raise a very good point about the projection. It may be the largest source of my inaccuracy.

EDIT: Looking at Google Maps instead, I estimate the line to be at the western edge of Belarus. Much closer to what you say you have previously found

Ah, but empty Russia is still part of Europe. If we were removing empty parts of continents, then Australia becomes smaller than France.

If empty land is part of Europe then why not empty sea... It's just as useless. At least you can crash nuclear submarines in the Atlantic.

EDIT: In one of the many hundreds of previous threads on this, someone rather interestingly suggested dividing Europe such that half of Europeans are in the East, and half are in the West. That is, divide it population wise.

I won't bother drawing a line :)

If empty land is part of Europe then why not empty sea... It's just as useless. At least you can crash nuclear submarines in the Atlantic.

EDIT: In one of the many hundreds of previous threads on this, someone rather interestingly suggested dividing Europe such that half of Europeans are in the East, and half are in the West. That is, divide it population wise.

Spoiler :

I won't bother drawing a line :)

So a city like Berlin and a country like Poland are in northern Europe? :p

So a city like Berlin and a country like Poland are in northern Europe? :p
You're ignoring the 700 year old cultural ties that Berlin has with Stockholm, following the 87th annual festival in honour of Mayor Hermann Einsigneipfenlau's union with a young Nordic girl.

I agree, however, that Poland is in Southern Europe, rather than Northern Europe.

Mise said:
You're ignoring the 700 year old cultural ties that Berlin has with Stockholm, following the 87th annual festival in honour of Mayor Hermann Einsigneipfenlau's union with a young Nordic girl.

You have me worried Mise... how young was she... because I have some serious doubts about the nature of this festival you've mentioned :p

Be serious, going by that map even Belgium and Slovakia are in the northern half of Europe.

I agree, however, that Poland is in Southern Europe, rather than Northern Europe.
Putting ridiculous words in my mouth won't solve anything. :)

We don't divide Europe into North and South, we divide it into East and West. If you want to go into more detail, then you divide it into North, South, East, West and Central. More detail still would reveal even more differences (and have more culturally accurate names, such as Nordic or Eastern Mediterranean etc). The problem is, you're adding detailed differences between, for example, Poland and Belarus, to a very high level distinction between East and West.

If, however, you are suggesting we divide Europe into North and South, then Poland and Belgium would both be in Northern Europe, and we have no disagreement.

We don't divide Europe into North and South, we divide it into East and West. If you want to go into more detail, then you divide it into North, South, East, West and Central. More detail still would reveal even more differences (and have more culturally accurate names, such as Nordic or Eastern Mediterranean etc).
Okay.

If, however, you are suggesting we divide Europe into North and South, then Poland and Belgium would both be in Northern Europe, and we have no disagreement.

No, what I wanted to say is that it makes little sense to go by population since it would give us extremely weird results from a geographic point of view.

Example: on your map, Slovakia would be just over the north/south line... and now look at a political Europe map:
Spoiler :

If you consider that country in the northern part of Europe, that's a pretty strange definition.
Of course we are all free to use the definitions we want, and I know I won't convince anyone who's already convinced otherwise.

Top Bottom