1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Breeland Mafia Game Thread

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by spaceman98, Jun 15, 2016.

1. spaceman98

spaceman98 Plotting something

Hello everyone, sorry I couldn't respond earlier. Real life has hit me like a balrog whip.

yeah Mat pointed this out in the dead QT. My biggest regret is that i didn't properly communicate to the cult that this game had a suicide mechanic.

Mat and Al Sipsclar, the two watchers were convertible. The original setup for 30 people didn't have convertible third parties, but when I downsized to 16 people I realized that cult didn't have a large enough pool of converts, so I let them convert the two watchers, and thus potentially manipulate the non-town factions from within.

cult goal was to "outnumber" all other factions, so to win, it would have had to have come down to you and mat, and Mat would have to have been mayor AND it would have to have been day when the last non-orc was lynched. but as mat pointed out in the dead QT this was theoretically possible, I just had a suicide mechanic built in from the start, which is fairly standard for cults and rendered this impossible.

role PMs incoming

2. spaceman98

I've attached my spreadsheet of night actions to this post

When I first created this game setup, after NSP 2, I had a clear vision in mind. In NSP 2 the mafia (Morgothians) were easily outplayed by the town and two neutral-ish cults. Cults are stronger than mafias, so what if I put a cult against a town and two neutral-ish mafias? Thus, this game was born.

Cult of Tom Bombadil

http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/jLMNUyfTqNt

KingMorgan

Spoiler :

The cult leader himself. The cult was doing quite well, and likely to win until Morgan inexplicably decided to roleclaim. Maybe I should have given you guys cover roles, but there really weren't enough Bree-related roles to go around.

Lassie

Spoiler :

Lassie's somewhat convoluted ability was actually two abilities rolled into one: In the 30-person setup the cult started with three people: Bombadil, a roleblocker, and a reserve-convert who just sortof sat there and waited for the main converter to die. I decided that having a person just sit there was boring, so I gave Lassie the roleblock, and when I decided cult wasn't powerful enough, also the unweave. So Lassie, what do you think? Is the unweave useful? Should it be used in the future?

Personally, I'm not very satisfied with it as a GM since its a fairly situational ability that just served to make the town roleblocker less useful, but I'm curious to know what you think.

Mat (post conversion)

The Barrow-Wight (unused)

if the cult converted one of the two convertible vanillagers, the vanillager would have become a Barrow-Wight, who could kill on every other night (the intent being that the cult kills on even nights and converts on odd nights or vice versa). KM had scanned BSmith as convertible, and had he gone through with the conversion, BSmith could have taken this role, but KM decided to switch to Auto, and AA decided to kill BSmith. I ruled that, had KM and AA both targeted BSmith, BSmith would have died a townie, because its no fun for anyone to get converted to a faction for whose win condition they never had a chance to work for. I decided to keep the Barrow-Wight secret, reasoning that it would be a pleasant surprise if it happened, and probably not crippling if it didn't. In hindsight I think I should have mentioned this in Bombadil's ability, allowing the cult to strategize around it's existence.

Gondor

http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/qPWmUzFbcHFPZ

Kennigit

Spoiler :

Aragorn, lynchstopping vig and extremely powerful role. Maybe too much power in one person honestly, but it worked out ok I think. Also fun fact: I've seen Aragorn as a vig on this site fairly often, which makes sense. But from the lore he was also a healer, yet I've never seen him as a doctor. Heck, I could see Aragorn justified as a necromancer. hmm... :mischief:

Autolycus

Spoiler :

A novel role, and if properly coordinated, potentially a very useful one: Had Atheotes protected Auto, and auto protected someone else, TWO players would have gotten atheotes's protection instead of one (Auto and Auto's target). Sadly, the novelty of the role, coupled with confusion about its priority vs. doctor protections meant this never came to pass. Auto mostly decided not to use his ability, since it was likely to get him killed. Probably a wise decision, since he was the only unconvertible member of his faction still alive at the end of the game.

Auto, what do you think? Was this an interesting ability or no? Was it fun? Would you recommend subjecting other players to it in future games?

Al Sipsclar

Spoiler :

The Gondorian watcher. My only regret with this role is that the image in the PM is actually of a ranger from Ithilien (Faramir's rangers), not a Dunedain of Arnor, even though as Al Sipsclar pointed out in his campaign for mayor, the role is that of an Arnorian ranger. The fact that I care about this difference enough to write this says interesting things about me

atheotes :p

Gundabad

http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/qS6hFsudZke7

Double A

Spoiler :

Double A was the orc vig and an effective and reliable kill for his faction, though due to Wormtongue Cult-Mat whispering in his ear, he mostly hit townies in the late game. Not much more to say than that.

Zack

Spoiler :

When I created the orcs and the gondorians, I had a clear vision in mind for them as "secretive unstopable force" (orcs) vs. "overt immovable object" (gondor). This vision was largely abandoned with the downsize, but Zack retained one aspect of it, in the form of the combine barrels to kill-through-bulletproof ability. My reasoning was simple: Gondor could deflect two more kills than the orcs could (Auto's ability and Kennigit's lynchstop) so I gave the orcs two extra kills. However, Zack's barrels were never put to good use because Gondor has allied themselves with Atheotes, who protected them.

Mat (pre-conversion)

Spoiler :

Bill Ferney, canonically a man of eternally shifting allegiances, ended up re-capitulating that role in this game. Mat played well as townie and cultist, but was Bombadil's only convert all game (converted N3), which leads me to wonder if I made the cult wasn't strong enough.

Breeland Townies

DuffKilligan:

Spoiler :

Town roleblocker. The ability was only used once, on AA, the same night Lassie used it. That one use later got Duff lynched. As someone whose been lynched for being town roleblocker plenty of times, but also lied about being town roleblocker plenty of times, I sympathize

Snerk/JohannahK:
    Spoiler :

This was an experimental role, originally designed for a mostly vanilla town. It was the only way townies could protect themselves from conversion, aside from choxorn, who had been randed to be secretly unconvertible at the start of the game. It also protected from other roles. JohannahK would indeed sabotage King Morgan twice (when he scanned Zack and then when he tried to convert Auto), but both times he was targeting unconvertible members of neutral factions anyway. Amusingly, JK actually saved King Morgan when KM tried to convert auto, since if KM had targeted an unconvertible person, he would have died, and auto was unconvertible.

JohannahK, what did you think about this ability? It was rather unusual, and as far as I know, my own personal homebrew. Would you recommend I or other GMs use it? Was it fun?

Winston

Spoiler :

A vanilla townie. Played quite well in thread. For some reason everyone thought he was cult leader all the time.

Jarrema

Spoiler :

Still hasn't opened his role PM :p . In the original 30-player setup, Butterbur's scan was less reliable, with at least one role that screwed with this scan by allowing its user to flip people's alignment (i.e. make townies scan as non-town and vice versa). It was to be handed out to one of the neutral factions, possibly Gundabad, or maybe to Bombadil, I hadn't really decided. The reason being that I don't like 100% fair cops. With the downsizing that "concealer/framer" role was removed, but I intend to use it one day.

Takhisis

Spoiler :

Bob's ability was basically Butterbur's ability lite. Convertibility roughly corresponded to town-ness (only exceptions being Choxorn (unconvertible townie) and Mat and Sipsclar (convertible non-towns)), and scanning a cultist once they were converted would reveal them to be unconvertible, so it was a non-intuitive cultist assay. I put him in on the expectation cult would snowball and hide in the shadows, and probably get their kill early, and that one of the two scanners would die quickly. What I didn't expect was that BOTH scanners would die early. But cult never got the barrow wight, and never snowballed as I thought they would.

athoetes

Spoiler :

I don't know how Gondor figured out which of AA and Atheotes (the two who visited Kennigit N1) was the doctor and which was the killer, but that correct determination was the start of this game's most successful interfaction alliance. Atheotes protected his Gondorian allies to the bitter end, and was killed by AA after the orcs had (correctly) concluded that Atheotes was acting against them and (incorrectly) concluded he was cult. Well that, and after cult-mat convinced AA to target not-the-cult.

BSmith

Spoiler :

A vanilla townie who narrowly avoided joining the ranks of the cult

choxorn

Spoiler :

After assigning the three vanillagers I RNG-ed one of them to be unconvertible. Choxorn was that lucky vanillager, the only unconvertible townie in the game.

Attached Files:

3. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

see, BS?

you're welcome

4. JohannaK

JohannaK Ghost of Christmas Past

It's an interesting ability I had. I would have used it more if I had had more net access, but knowing the abundance of power roles I wasn't ever sure it was going to work... in any case it can also be useful as the results indicate whether the target has an ability.

5. spaceman98

6. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

thanks for the game, I had fun

7. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

Yeah me too

8. atheotes

atheotes Warlord

thanks for hosting Spaceman. I had a lot of fun.

9. BSmith1068

BSmith1068 Deity Retired Moderator

:D Indeed. All things happen for a reason.

I had a good time too. Even though I was vanilla in a sea of power roles it was fun to get into this. Glad I didn't ultimately become cult in the end, though for a bit there I was hoping for conversion as it seemed that they were going to win after all.

10. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

lol at cult leader scanning me n1