Brexit Thread III - How to instantly polarise your country without even trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly the EU's caving in to the UK's demands:
Brexit UK to lose EU rebate in 2021 'even in extended transition'
No discount beyond end of 2020 owing to start of new EU budget, says senior Brussels source

The UK will lose its rebate from the EU at end of 2020 if it seeks to extend the Brexit transition beyond then, the Guardian has learned.

The loss of the rebate, which to some has been a symbol of British influence in Europe since Margaret Thatcher demanded “our money back”, is expected to fuel Tory Brexiters’ demands to keep the transition period as short as possible.

The rebate on the UK payments to the EU budget is worth £4.5bn a year on average. The money is never sent to Brussels, one aspect of the misleading claim on the leave campaign bus.

(…)

EU insiders said before the June 2016 referendum that it would take about five years to negotiate a trade deal with the UK. Some diplomats think the 21-month transition is not long enough.

The EU is expected to include an option to extend the transition in the Brexit withdrawal text. The first complete draft of the Brexit treaty is likely to be discussed by EU ambassadors next Wednesday.

The end date is only one area the UK disagrees with the EU on the transition. Other disputes include the cut-off date for allowing EU citizens to retain full rights in the UK, and the role of the European court of justice.

In 2015 the UK paid £10.8bn to the EU budget, but this would have been £15.7bn without the rebate.

Thatcher was lionised by Tory Eurosceptics after she secured the discount in 1984, although France remembers the decision as a defeat for the British because the Tory leader had wanted an even bigger chèque britannique. The European budget at that time was spent on farmers, a tiny part of the UK economy.

As the UK became richer relative to other member states, the rebate led to resentment. Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden were given a rebate on their contributions to the British rebate in 2014.

The European commission wants to sweep away all rebates that have made the EU budget eyewateringly complicated to administer and difficult to explain to the public.

(…)​

I expect the Mail or Telegraph to claim that ze Germans want to steal five billion quid from poor bullied England.

Boris Johnson: How hard can the Irish border be, it is just like between Camden and Westminster (2 london boroughs).

Bojo said:
There's no border between Islington or Camden and Westminster, there's no border between Camden and Westminster, but when I was mayor of London we anaesthetically and invisibly took hundreds of millions of pounds from the accounts of people travelling between those two boroughs without any need for border checks whatever.

Interviewer: You cannot compare 2 boroughs of London with the sort of difference in the arrangement between the post brexit difference between britain and the UK.

It's a very relevant comparison because there's all sorts of scope for pre-booking, electronic checks, all sorts of things that you can do to obviate the need for a hard border to allow us to come out of the customs union, take back control of our trade policy and do trade deals.
Source

Boris Johnson: How hard can the Irish border be, it is just like between Camden and Westminster (2 london boroughs).

Source
Maybe the UK can simply first amass and then hand Brussels the necessary info, then give the EU the right to directly deduct taxes, tariffs or whatever from British citizens, companies etc.?

Wait till Camden takes its sovereignty back!
His comments did remind me of Passport to Pimlico - an Ealing comedy from after WW2 where a part of London discovers it isn't part of the UK and declares its independence to avoid rationing.

I am not sure how Bloomberg thinks that is secret as it has been the stated British position the whole time. No deal (including services) means no cash for the wasteful money grabbers in Brussels.
I'm not sure that kind of blackmail strategy is very smart considering that the UK exports €246 billion per year to the EU. If the UK choses to not respect its commitments, the EU will easily get the money through trade tariffs.

No matter if it's through a contribution or through tariffs, the UK will inevitably pay its access to the EU market, just like we all do actually.

"Any form of customs union with the EU after Brexit would be a "complete sellout" for the UK, International Trade Secretary Liam Fox has said."

Even if Liam Fox wasn't one of the most notorious Brexiteers in Parliament, I think that his Cabinet job might just lead him to make wild statements for fear of becoming staying irrelevant.

So a man who believes in free trade wants out of a free trade agreement?

He's a man who believes in his own self-importance more than anything else, I'd imagine.

The inescapable is chasing the uncatchable, it seems.

Briefly, the EU is expected to say Northern Ireland would have to follow EU single market rules to avoid a "hard border", if alternatives are not found. Downing Street has dismissed any prospect of a return to a hard border. The DUP has threatened to withdraw support over the issue. The PM requires those votes to avoid total failure in the Commons, yet a hard border would violate the Downing Street Agreement.

So, what does that mean ?
That the choice is either a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland or that NI basically stays in the EU for all intents and purposes ?
I can see how both of those could lead to Northern Irish secessionism.

What a damned farce. Future historians will be scratching their heads about this obvious and completely avoidable act of national self harm.

Boris has now weighed in with the usual conspiracy theory that this is all a plot to frustrate Brexit. I could almost believe that someone actually believed that if they were from certain sectors of society, but definitely not from Boris Johnson.

Well, that's what comes of reporting on a story at the same time that the BBC are doing so. Huh. I could have sworn that they were different articles when I posted them originally.

Have a different link instead.

Last edited:
And now Boris Johnson has left the House of Commons rather than answer any questions on the status of the Norn Irish border or his claims that it should be as easy to administrate as crossing between London boroughs. Labour MPs jeered noisily at his retreating back.

It really says something about the United Kingdom that, a full eighty-nine years after the Irish declared their independence, the British political class are still managing to contrive constitutional crises around the Irish Question.

Sir John Major has spoken up about the crisis and given that he's the most successful Tory PM in 30 years, it might at least be worth listening to him. Jacob Rees-Mogg doesn't agree, of course, and no doubt Theresa May will roundly ignore him (Major, that is, not Mogg).

I'm not sure that kind of blackmail strategy is very smart considering that the UK exports €246 billion per year to the EU. If the UK choses to not respect its commitments, the EU will easily get the money through trade tariffs.

No matter if it's through a contribution or through tariffs, the UK will inevitably pay its access to the EU market, just like we all do actually.

The EU is running a big trade surplus so it simply has much more to lose. Also, there is no commitment, none at all, so how can you break a commitment which doesn't exist? The UK has repeatedly said there is no deal until the complete deal is agreed so the EU can keep up its game of obstructing but if they don't eventually settle down and stop being clownishly unreasonable then it won't get the money it admits it deaperately needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom