Brexit Thread III - How to instantly polarise your country without even trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
We like our bumbling fools to have vaguely blue blood, don't you know?
Possibly due to oxygen deprivation to their morality and intellect.
Just in case you have not noticed, the EU are not negotiating.
It's a bit hard to negotiate when the opposing party's leading negotiator can't even average an hour a month of actually being there to negotiate. The EU might have positions you do not like, but at least they have their negotiators there.
Why? What are the benefits?
Not being in the EU!

I am not going to debate with a double negative. Most people, inluding myself, would prefer a deal and are prepared to compromise.
But the EU stance isn't seen as including any compromise.

You saw how hard it is to negosiate a free trade deal with India which economy is smaller then the UKs and India demanded you allow for more Indian immigration.
Did the UK compromise and give India concession ? No ? Uk told India to take a hike.

On this forum, yes; the majority do disagree with me; but in Britain; it is generally accepted that the deal is disastrous.

The only debates are whether it is worse than no deal, and with the Remainers and Leavers blaming each other.

I do not believe that the UK Parliament will be able to agree, and will likely refer it back to the voters for another referendum.

A: Remain

B: The Deal

C: Leave without the Deal
Despite how it might be playing out in the media no deal has been agreed yet. The UK proposal hasn't even been put on paper nevermind presented to the EU.

Key question is: which privileges/benefits of EU membership is the actually UK prepared to give up in connection with "Brexit that means Brexit"?
Looking from here, the answer seems to be "none".
From my point of view, the primary privilege/benefit we are giving up is freedom of movement. I understand that there are those who do not view this as a privilege at the moment, I fear they may be forced to learn the error of their ways by hard experience.

What the the EU means by freedom of movement is the right for EU state
nationals to settle in other member states and demand the same status as
to employment opportunities, public housing and benefits as their own nationals.

As the great majority of UK citizens do not wish to settle elsewhere in the EU, being
able to do so without a permit or visa is only a trivial benefit for a minority of UK citizens.

When such a British person sees a couple of specialty Polish/Eastern European food shelves in the local Tesco, they involuntarily sputter and scowl and hurry past the upsetting sight.

Oh, really.

How many times have you personally observed that in the last year?
and how do you know that those people are British, wearing Union Jacks?.

In my local Morrisons most people just look straight past it for more familiar food.
Occasionally they may look at it with a puzzled, what is it how do I cook it expression
but sputtering and scowling - no. I suggest you try a better class of supermarket.

As the great majority of UK citizens do not wish to settle elsewhere in the EU, being
able to do so without a permit or visa is only a trivial benefit for a minority of UK citizens.
If it ends up we have 20% unemployment and France has 2% these people may change their minds. I very much hope it does not come to that, but it is a very real possibility.

We already have 20% unemployment, but half of them are
unaware of it being conned into six forms and universities.

I can understand the argument that being part of the EU
is an insurance policy, but to date not so many UK nationals
unrelated to other member state nationals have secured
work there, and it is unclear to me how the right to travel
without a visa is a real benefit if, for cultural preference
reasons, the jobs are simply not offered to UK nationals.

We chose to give EU nationals the same privileges as Britons because we failed to impose any of the allowable caveats on such behaviour. As with so much of this whole fiasco, that's a failure of our government, not the EU.

I can understand the argument that being part of the EU
is an insurance policy, but to date not so many UK nationals
unrelated to other member state nationals have secured
work there, and it is unclear to me how the right to travel
without a visa is a real benefit if, for cultural preference
reasons, the jobs are simply not offered to UK nationals.

It is indeed unfair that dirty foreigners were able to trade up their country of residence, while you were unable to do so given that you live in the best nation on gods green earth.

And really, England is so very Little that there isn't enough of it to go around. Best hoard it miserly or else it will run out!

Last edited:
It is indeed unfair that dirty foreigners were able to trade up their country of residence, while you were unable to do so given that you live in the best nation on gods green earth.

And really, England is so very Little that there isn't enough of it to go around. Best horde it miserly or else it will run out!
Minez Brittania! All Minez!

What the the EU means by freedom of movement is the right for EU state
nationals to settle in other member states and demand the same status as
to employment opportunities, public housing and benefits as their own nationals.

Why dont you just do what the other EU countries are doing ? Is the EU stopping you for simply putting restrictions on benefits of EU members applying for welfare ?
Also large numbers of EU nationals are married to UK citizens apply for benefits
Stop blaming the EU

Germany limits EU citizens' access to benefits
Angela Merkel's cabinet has rubberstamped a new welfare plan that will make it harder for EU migrants to claim unemployment benefits in German

EU immigrants cannot claim "Hartz IV" until they've been living in Germany for five years - before that deadline, the home country is responsible for paying their benefits.
According to Germany's Federal Labor Agency, 440,000 non-German EU nationals received social welfare in January this year - topping the list were Polish nationals with around 92,000 recipients, followed by Italians (71,000), Bulgarians (70,000), Romanians (57,000) and Greeks (46,000). They represent around a tenth of the 4.1 million EU immigrants living in Germany, and similarly a tenth of the total 4.3 million Hartz IV recipients in Germany.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-limits-eu-citizens-access-to-benefits/a-36026606

There are about 1.2 million UK nationals living elsewhere in the EU. Not really a trivial amount, it's a sizeable diaspora, and English people voted to make life uncertain and potentially difficult for them.

The UK also has a fairly low foreign-born population in general, only about 12% or so, which is about middling for the OECD. The whole "swamped" thing is pretty much imagined.

upload_2018-7-12_10-49-16.png

Plus only about half of that population are EU nationals, Polish being the biggest group followed by Irish.

Last edited:
Of course, anyone under 18 or those living abroad for more than 15 years didn't even get a vote in the referendum. I understand that there has to be a cut-off point somewhere, but perhaps disenfranchising your teenagers and those who are likely to be directly affected by a Leave result is not the fairest idea.

Quite so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom