Brexit Thread IV - They're laughing with us, not at us

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Scots voted remain so they don't get a say in this!

Maybe it's time for our own "Clown Car" thread: https://twitter.com/JamesERothwell/status/1029797909146087430

James Rothwell said:
  1. I understand that senior members of Britain's road haulage industry came out of a recent meeting with Grayling where they were astonished by his lack of grasp of the key detail on Brexit

2. One of them, Kevin Hopper, who runs a major firm up in Yorkshire, said that he tried to explain to Grayling that if there is no Brexit deal then UK haulage drivers won't be able to drive in EU as their papers will be invalid

3. Grayling, he says, "looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language."

4. Kevin, who has 40 years industry experience, then showed to Grayling a copy of the EU's notice to stakeholders from the Commission's website, which confirms exactly that: no deal, no recognition of UK drivers. This document: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/legislation/brexit-notice-to-stakeholders-road-transport.pdf …

5. Kevin says Grayling appeared to have never heard of this document but he insisted that "everything would be fine"

I mean, I know that our government is full of idiots, but sometimes I forget just quite what that means. The David Davis school of not thinking about anything whatsoever and just going around with a blithe smile seems to be the order of the day.

Possibly because they know that whatever happens, they can sit back and blame "the Remainers" or "the evil EU" and the likes of the Daily Fail and the Express will back them uncritically.

And because some (most?) are looking forward to getting rid of all that annoying Brussels red tape that insists on things like clean air, animal welfare standards, workers rights etc. They did get their Henry VIII powers that allow them to amend or repeal EU law rather than just adopt it without going through Parliament. Trade treaties also don't have to be ratified by Parliament in the UK so I expect they'll roll over and give Trump whatever concessions he wants in order to get a trade deal.

Nothing wrong with a good laugh at Brexit
the trailer of a 15 minute short movie since two days (?) public

Why am I suddenly imagining Michael Gove holding up Theresa May as she belts out a Celine Dion number?

because you're a masochist

Touché. :)

Why am i suddenly imagining Teresa May getting hit in the face by a seagull?

Because you're a sadist.

You'd definitely be the one holding her.

Nothing wrong with a good laugh at Brexit
the trailer of a 15 minute short movie since two days (?) public

Brilliant.
In a couple more months, there'll be a perfect opportunity to Photoshop Corbyn on Theoden.

"How did it come to this...?"
Spoiler :

Where now are the bus and the driver? Where is the horn that was blowing?

Not sure what to make of this. The £1m will be used to poll the public to find their views on Brexit.
The public is split; the only way I can see another referendum is if the government falls.
The government will only fall if enough conservative MPs think it is in the best interests of the country to stop Brexit and be out of power for five or ten years.
Corbyn seems to be quite happy too keep playing his violin as Brexit goes on and on but without his heart.
It seems Boris was correct, Britain will make a “titanic success of Brexit”

from the front page of yesterdays Observer

The campaign for a referendum on the final Brexit deal has been boosted by a record £1m donation, amid growing public concern that Britain will leave the EU without any agreement.

An Opinium poll for the Observer has found that 40% now believe it is most likely that the UK will leave in next March without a deal – up sharply from 31% last month. One in five (22%) think Britain will leave with a deal, while 16% think Britain will not leave the EU in March.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tes-1-million-pounds-peoples-vote-brexit-deal

‘Two things pull them together: personal wealth sufficient to ride out Brexit with ease, and increasingly evident ties to Steve Bannon.’

statement issued by counter-revolutionary cadre John Harris in the reactionary oligarchist pamphlet filed under ’Grauniad, the’.

Well the Hardline Leavers may well cause enough problems that no deal can be reached and then you would get by default a HARD BREXIT (but one without any planning)
I'd imagine that either going to be utter chaos as the new understaffed, underfunded customs check points create massive traffic jams and delays costing Billions or they will simply delay implementation for 10 years.

On the plus side the Hard brexiteers can start deporting the Poles and invite more Pakistanis to replace them.

Last edited:
Not sure how they could delay implementation.
There does not seems to be a consensus for anything within the government and Labour seems happy to watch us sink.
Who is going to ask to stay for another ten years.
Why would the EU accept such a request anyway; there could be another UK election and we then say we are leaving now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom