Brexit Thread IV - They're laughing with us, not at us

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. No. not going anywhere Trump has been.:vomit:
He's already been to England, hasn't he?
Silurian said:
I doubt that there is a majority for a border poll for reunification but there could well be in a few years.
The south is now more progress socially than the north and people on both sides of the border are less religious than they were fifty years ago so that is much less of a problem. I think it will be decided by the relative economic growth over the next ten years and how the north is treated by England.
Well, basically Sinn Féin will never take seats at Westminster so that's one avenue closed, but unless the (r)UK gets its act together we'll see NI joining the south before 2100.

That said, if Scotland goes, I'm not sure how the Unionists in Northern Ireland could keep adhering to a British identity, but self-delusion is a deviously powerful force.

@Yeekim : should Estonia have remained part of a reformed USSR because leaving it would be complex, involve establishing relations and treaties with other countries ex nihilo, and necessarily lead to a period of adaptation and economic difficulties?
A lot of people would be seriously offended over your comparing EU to USSR (whatever the "reformed" part was supposed to mean). I'm not easily offended so I'll just say you are being ridiculous.
I can respect different opinions and I've said before that the issues you are worried over are real. But nothing about them warrants such hyberboles.

He's already been to England, hasn't he?

He's never been too Devon. Trump normally goes to Scotland where his staff film women going to the toilet.

Well, basically Sinn Féin will never take seats at Westminster so that's one avenue closed, but unless the (r)UK gets its act together we'll see NI joining the south before 2100.

That said, if Scotland goes, I'm not sure how the Unionists in Northern Ireland could keep adhering to a British identity, but self-delusion is a deviously powerful force.

Sinn Féin's refusal to take their seats will not effect the border poll. It is supposed to take place when it is likely to succeed.

I am hoping no deal is what will happen. The EU was only offering a slave's bargain so simply walk out. Eventually, the EU will realize its mistake and crawl back asking for a fair deal which the UK will give them but first the Eurocrats have to be made aware that they cannot dictate.

Who exactly do you think has offered this deal, Oerdin?

I am hoping no deal is what will happen. The EU was only offering a slave's bargain so simply walk out. Eventually, the EU will realize its mistake and crawl back asking for a fair deal which the UK will give them but first the Eurocrats have to be made aware that they cannot dictate.

You favor that the UK will walk out of that deal, going for no-deal.
AND
You say that the EU will realize its mistake.

Can you tell me what that mistake would be for the EU ?
What is going to be harmed in the EU ?

My guess is that the EU will lose 1%-1.5% GDP, including the jobs involved. Which is overall going to be compensated by the yoy growth. And yes... certain companies will shrink, and employees have to find another job. Not real nice.
But that economical damage is comparable in size to so many other factors the EU does not control. Like the trade wars and sactions of Trump. Like the Climate damage.

So what mistake is so big that the EU needs to crawl back ?
Do you think the damage for the EU will be much bigger than 1% GDP ?

Last edited:

I'm glad you don't have a say in the matter.
Oddly enough the Eurocrat doing the negotiating seems to have offered more than some of the EU member governments would ideally like, but being adults (unlike the Brexiteers) they have realised that is how it goes in negotiations.

The chap is drawn with a pink and yellow unicorn horn, referencing various Brexit fantasies about the break with Europe.

I think that is the nose.

Could be this... life form?

Be wary for unicorns without crowns

https://www.conservativehome.com/pl...le-plan-that-tusk-and-barnier-offered-us.html
David Davis:
'If we need to leave with no deal and negotiate a free trade agreement during the transition period, so be it. Let’s be clear and honest and tell the EU that’s what we are prepared to do.'
Where do you get these geniuses and how do the get to become Brexit Secretary?
If there is no deal there is no transition period.

And no Northern Irish backstop, leading to a hard border, but that's just the Evil European Empire blackmailing us, right?

Reports that Spain is throwing a large rocky spanner in the works. Must be that strong bargaining position I keep hearing about.

Also relevant: never knowingly competent Boris Johnson owes the taxpayer 300 grand. How can things be a shambles with his like in charge of our affairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom