Brexit Thread IV - They're laughing with us, not at us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until then WTO, but I am very confident in 10 years a truly independent UK does better than it does if that farcical "agreement" (more like ultimatum) is adopted. Far better with far more trade, more opportunities, lower over all cost of living, and best of all British laws will be decided by British people once again.
Delusional on all counts.

I don't know why I'm expecting an answer, but do you have any possible evidence to back these extraordinary claims up?

That free trade increases competition, lowers prices, and allows people's buying power to thus stretch further than it otherwise would have resulting in greater consumer buying power (making them materially richer with a better standard of living)? If you don't understand that truth than you really are too ignorant to even weight in on this topic.

More opportunities and better cost of living from WTO regulations? I really don't think I'm the ignorant one here, sadly enough.

@mitsho its not funny its my country.
It might just be that mitsho shares my sense of humour; I keep pointing out that we
With what end in mind?
That of all those who seek hers.
The Speaker has expressed dismay over the Government's tactics in pulling the vote. Meanwhile, the pound has slumped to a 20-month low, as low as the speculation before the ill-fated general election.
Well, given that the UK's money-making strategy has been to make the country a laundering centre financial entry point and now nobody knows whether they will be able to use British banks to (as they say in The Godfather) ‘purify’ their money or not.
I am very happy that that horrible, horrible bill has been withdrawn. The "backstop" alone was a clear attempt to entrap the UK and prevent it from ever leaving. All the UK wants is a trade agreement and the whole time the autocrats at the unelected European Commission have been claiming that is impossible. They are liars.

So, the EU is not interested in a fair and equitable deal so just say no deal and walk. No divorce bill, no nothing, all the European Commission is interested in is extortion and enslavement so no deal and leave. Eventually, new people will be appointed and they will decide they want a trade agreement with the UK. Until then around 80% of the world economy is outside the EU and many, many of them will be interested in free trade. For the rest there are WTO rules.
You even repeat your adjectives. You're just Donald Trump's double login here.
Hm, i think that the only viable way out of this is a general election. But i fear that blairites will want full cancelation of brexit, which imo can only happen democratically through a new referendum. (Which may again produce a leave result, though).
The ecj ruling caused this latest mess.
Nah, the ecj ruling didn't cause it. It just triggered it. Anything might have triggered it. The Tories have been saying for ages that they expect May to step down. Everything else is just an attempt to get her to do it without allowing the British Communist Party to take over.
As a dual national (US & UK) I am indeed entitled to my own opinion. I am not really concerned if you like it or not.

I would say my opinion is the majority opinion based upon the free, fair, and open democratic vote we already had on the subject. So, yes, we. :)
It is the majority opinion, then? Because the 2016 vote was anything but informed, which really casts doutbs upon your claims of freedom and fairness.

The torygraph just called May a mule in its headline?

That free trade increases competition, lowers prices, and allows people's buying power to thus stretch further than it otherwise would have resulting in greater consumer buying power (making them materially richer with a better standard of living)? If you don't understand that truth than you really are too ignorant to even weight in on this topic.

You know that buying imported goods involves giving other people something in exchange, right? They' won't take your promise to pay later the way they take the current Empire's promises (dollars), the UK's empire is history.

"Free trade" and buying cheaper foreign goods is fine and dandy until your increasingly unemployed population goes bankrupt and the whole country goes down the drain.

Last edited:
That does appear to be one of their article headers, yes. They also have a headline suggesting that the ECJ is trying to hasten a second referendum, because apparently anything that you disagree with has to be deliberately working against you. Even Jacob Rees-Mogg said that the ECJ ruling on Article 50 was a clear way of reading it.

Meanwhile, Treeza May says she's going to the EU to look for concessions, which EU officials already have shot down in any case… for what?
I thought that David Cameron had already demonstrated that going up to the next-door neighbours and telling them ‘you're bigger than us, accede to our demands or else!’ is really a losing strategy.

We are informed by the fairly recent free, fair, and open democratic vote. That is how people legitimately express their opinions in democracies. Yes, the majority did indeed vote leave even if you were not one of them. Live with it.

A slight majority of the people who voted in a referendum marred by a Leave campaign that has been found to lie and break the law on spending. Still Leave did win but that doesn't tell us what form of Brexit the people voting Leave wanted because they weren't asked that.

... and used unlawfully obtained personal data......

A slight majority of the people who voted in a referendum marred by a Leave campaign that has been found to lie and break the law on spending. Still Leave did win but that doesn't tell us what form of Brexit the people voting Leave wanted because they weren't asked that.

The Remain campaign told far bigger lies.

Most voting Leavers would have liked a sensible deal on leaving, but the EU Commission is preventing that, the so called
EU Withdrawal Agreement is a lie being about preventing withdrawal, so we are content to Leave without further agreement.

Most voting Leavers would have liked a sensible deal on leaving, but the EU Commission is preventing that, the so called
EU Withdrawal Agreement is a lie being about preventing withdrawal, so we are content to Leave without further agreement.

You and other hardline Brexiteers may be but its your claim to speak for all who voted Leave I doubt. Put it to another vote when people know what the clear choice is and settle it.

Ah, Edward, the voice of the Silent Majority. Welcome back.

The main problem was Brexit means Brexit.

I agree that most people voting leave wanted a sensible deal but there was no agreement about what that that deal would look like.
If the Brexiteers had agreed what they wanted, and ditched the cake and eat it stuff, in 2016 they could have had time to negotiate with the EU.
But they still want to have the cake and eat it and they are still arguing about the type of cake.

Due to various factors, though, a second leave vote should not be deemed as out of the question.
Once again....
The Will of the people cannot be allow to interfere with "The Will Of The People™"!

If a new referendum would be held, I would not know on what
Besides the Remain, what would Leave be ? An orderly WTO without an agreed solution on the Irish border with the EU ?

And if 3 choices come on the menu... what is added ?
A WTO-FTA including one of the EU proposals on the Irish border (The EU did several).
Or something "more close" of an undefined nature where everybody can fantasise again what it means ? Including fantasising on the Irish border paragraph.

Theresa May and the hung Westminster situation did lose a lot of time

If a new referendum would be held, I would not know on what
Besides the Remain, what would Leave be ? An orderly WTO without an agreed solution on the Irish border with the EU ?

And if 3 choices come on the menu... what is added ?
A WTO-FTA including one of the EU proposals on the Irish border (The EU did several).
Or something "more close" of an undefined nature where everybody can fantasise again what it means ? Including fantasising on the Irish border paragraph.

Theresa May and the hung Westminster situation did lose a lot of time
I think the obvious choices should be:
  • Remain
  • Norway Plus (if it can be negotiated in time)
  • May's Deal
  • WTO rules
I would suggest single transferable vote, as it is the simplest of non-FPTP systems, and FPTP is obviously not the solution here.

There are two many splits to agree a referendum on the withdrawal agreement.
I can not see how it would get through parliament unless it was a straight deal or no deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom