Brexit Thread IX - Voters' Remorse

That's not brexit leading to food shortages. That's cheapskates trying to delay a necessary increase wages for drivers. That's in fact a vindication of the argument that open borders with the EU lowered wages of working class people in the UK.
That is Brexit leading to food shortages. Just because it's leading to food shortages for the ‘wrong’ reasons doesn't mean that there isn't a causal relationship.

That is Brexit leading to food shortages. Just because it's leading to food shortages for the ‘wrong’ reasons doesn't mean that there isn't a causal relationship.

Looks to me like capitalism leading to food shortages but w.e

Within the frame of capitalism, yes. But still, within that frame, the British political class decided to make the decisions that would lead to this.

Yes, the decisions by the British political class to:

(a) abandon the UK's own agricultural policy and take the UK into the EEC/EC/EU,
(b) adopt short term financial capitalism;
(c) permit excess levels of net immigration; and
(d) surrender fishing grounds

all against the wishes of the inhabitants of these
crowded islands definitely facilitated the current situation.

Last edited:
Leavers these are the jobs that the foreigners stole from you.

Boris Johnson ready to relax UK visa regime to tackle truck driver shortage Temporary scheme for up to 10,000 foreign workers in transport and food in wake of fuel and supply disruption
Boris Johnson has bowed to months of pressure from business by authorising a temporary visa scheme covering up to 10,000 foreign workers, in order to ease a shortage of lorry drivers that has caused widespread disruption.
20,000 EU drivers returned home during the pandemic, according to industry estimates, but a further 50,000 British drivers with HGV licences also stopped working during the past 18 months. The government’s agricultural seasonal workers programme currently allows 30,000 foreigners to come to the UK to help with the harvest. Farming and food groups have been lobbying for an expansion of the scheme, warning that they are already scaling back planting plans for 2022, and without more workers UK food output will fall and prices rise.

https://www.ft.com/content/8335166f-9019-471b-9cbf-d7554c3b40b2

Mailonline? Is that the Daily Mail?

That report is perhaps as much to do with Covid as it is with Brexit.

Meanwhile, despite Brexit:

Brexit-proof: City remains top dog in Europe for financial services
Innovation, an open business environment and a breadth of highly skilled talent has put the the City of London ahead of Europe’s financial services industry.

London ranks as the second best financial hub in the world, while its closest rival in the continent is Paris, which only finished tenth, according to the 30th edition of Z/Yen Group and the China Development Institute’s global financial centre index (GFCI).

The index comes as data release recently shows London is second only to Silicon Valley for the best place for startups to thrive.
The capital again left European cities in its wake in the rankings, with Paris, coming 12th, its closest rival on the continent. London tied with New York in second place to the Californian area synonymous with billion-dollar valuations.

https://www.cityam.com/city-remains-top-dog-in-europe-for-financial-services/

ALSO:

New York, London keep top spots in global financial centres index

https://www.reuters.com/business/fi...ts-global-financial-centres-index-2021-09-24/

That report is perhaps as much to do with Covid as it is with Brexit.
I hope that you're not trying to defend the British farce of a government's handling of Brexit by saying that it's because of Covid, which has been managed just as farcically.

Uh, what?

Interesting arithmetic in that newspaper cutting there:

I total 55,019 + 36,471 + 32,615 as 124,105 rather than 2 million.

Auto correct Breitling for Brexit I imagine.

I needed petrol for my lawnmower yesterday but the pump I went to wasn't working.
I just went to the one beside it instead.

Brexit happened at least 9 months ago depending how you measure it.
This is just UK politics now.

The chart above shows Amsterdam and Paris jumping up.
Must be covid.

Last edited:
Auto correct Breitling for Brexit I imagine.

I needed petrol for my lawnmower yesterday but the pump I went to wasn't working.
I just went to the one beside it instead.

Brexit happened at least 9 months ago depending how you measure it.
This is just UK politics now.

This is brexit. The fault line at the heart of brexit made the brexiteers unable to react to the blindingly obvious.

Farage and BoJo repeatedly said exactly this would not happen, and it has.

The Daily bloody Fail is calling for more migrant workers, to solve the fuel shortage caused entirely by their scaremongering. Sorry - to solve a labour shortage caused by their scaremongering that is needed to solve a supply crunch caused by their scaremongering. The spineless tossers are beyond irony.

And at no point did anyone blame Covid on Brexit, so that's a complete non-sequitur.

Top Bottom