Brexit Thread V - The Final Countdown?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will May survive the leadership challenge? It looks like there are a lot of MPs, who claim to be loyal, still.

I would be surprised if she doesn't survive it. Most Conservatives aren't hard-line Brexiteers.

However, after this, Labour is reportedly ready to pounce...

Self-preservation of the Tory party will be prio 1.

Is at least primitive enough an objective to survive the idiocy of the moment.

If the hard-Brexiteers fail to topple Theresa May, they lost their chance to topple Theresa May after March 29 to take over the transition period negotiations to steer the UK towards a Canada+ FTA or an orderly WTO without an agreement on the Irish border.

I love the title. :)

The Conservatives won't oust May, because it would make a Parliamentary challenge by Corbyn more likely (and again, who is going to take over the most poisoned chalice since goodness-knows when?).

The real question(s) imo is/are whether Corbyn will dare issue the no-confidence challenge in the Commons and will the Conservatives pull together enough to win it? It would only take a couple of rebels to trigger a GE.

Of course, she claims that she needs to stay to ensure an orderly Brexit. May 2030, anyone?

Hmm, I wonder if she's considered just saying 'the hell with it, let's revoke article 50 and Remain'?

I think i'll email her.

Edit: Done.

Hmm, I wonder if she's considered just saying 'the hell with it, let's revoke article 50 and Remain'?

I think i'll email her.
She can't do that, though. At best she could support a second referendum :)

I almost feel bad for may -almost, cause she is horrid tory scum- cause she inherited all this mess due to cameron wanting to be pm a second time.
Cameron... What an utter pos and coward.

Last edited:
It's absolutely within her power to do so. She almost certainly won't, but it's not for want of legality.

The Conservatives won't oust May, because it would make a Parliamentary challenge by Corbyn more likely (and again, who is going to take over the most poisoned chalice since goodness-knows when?).

Same opinion.

The ECJ did say article 50 could be revoked following a democratic process, implying that they might require a Parliamentary vote.

That means nothing. She can't decide this herself. Even political lunacy has some barriers.

We had to have the Supreme Court rule on whether she was allowed to trigger Article 50, which the Government spent public money fighting, we had the bitter acrimony surrounding the various amendments to the EU Withdrawal Bill, without which we wouldn't even have begun the meaningful vote process last week, and then we had her yank the vote almost at the last minute based on nothing but a procedural technicality. Even today, we had Liam Fox try to claim that the Cabinet might choose to postpone the vote indefinitely.

Suffice it to say, there is almost nothing I wouldn't expect her Cabinet to try these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom