1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hrothbern, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

That must be why Corbyn appointed a Guardian columnist and associate editor as his Director of Communications.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Well, you know how the guardian kept attacking him (or damning with the faintest of praise :) ).
    I want Corbyn to be pm, but as i noted i am no longer of the view he will be :(

3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

4. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

They spent £9.3 million of public money on that, an order of magnitude more than the Leave campaign overspend.

It is complicated. And I am not an expert on UK Parliamentary procedure for passing new laws.

There used to be a good system of "Green Papers" and "White Papers" explaining the background
    thinking, but what is provided after that varies a lot according to the nature of the legal change.

For instance, there are often a lot of financial papers explaining aspects of the annual budget.

And a significant number of laws were for the implementation of, or in part reflected, EU directives
    or decisions of the ECJ for which the directives or summaries of the decisions were the briefing material.

The predominant former profession of UK MPs used to be lawyers, so the thinking
    was that there was no need to provide a layman's guide to draft legislation.

Some of the briefings are about timings of votes and debates, others are more PR like.

Hrothbern likes this.
  5. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

How would she ever be an awful poker player if she never loses any of her money?

6. metatron

metatron unperson

Great.
    Now i have a mental image of May as Lucas from Empire Records. :)

"I wonder who'll be held responsible for this."
    "The money isn't gone. It's just recirculating."

Lucas - and May - have a point though: I bet those 6,000 (or however many) people are quite happy with the money.

AmazonQueen likes this.
  7. Kyriakos

"Roll safe" meme material ^_^

8. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Mansplaining Fool

The problem with it "going on forever" wasn't with the referendum itself, it's been with parliament ever since. A new referendum wouldn't fix that.

9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Hey, I'm an outsider who doesn't know squat about EU politics, but as an American, I have to think I know it all, so I get to make rash statements about the EU, and by god, if you are not careful, we'll send Jared Kushner over to fix this Brexit thing for you. :p

10. uppi

uppi Deity

Parliament certainly did its part, but a large part of this mess was caused by the referendum question being vague on what Brexit is supposed to mean. Right now, every politician can claim that his vision of Brexit is the will of the people. A second referendum with more clearly defined question could go a long way to solve this.

11. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Which is why so many politicians call a second referendum a betrayal of the will of the people.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Annunziata Ress-Mogg (Jacob's sister) is going to be a candidate for Nigel Farridge's Brexit Party. For MEP.

What a farce.
    To us it's a bug, to them it's a feature.

tjs282 and Birdjaguar like this.
  13. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Some parts of an old article about one month after the Brexit referendum on what Brexit would mean:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ng-theresa-may-goes-on-tour-what-it-all-means

* “Brexit means Brexit,” as the prime minister, Theresa May, is reliably fond of saying. But a month after Britain voted to leave the EU, we still haven’t the first clue what Brexit might actually mean.

* But what exactly are our objectives? Having our cake and eating it, hopefully. Boris Johnson claimed on Sunday he had “absolutely no doubt” the Brexit dream of full single market access and control on free movement was achievable.

* One possible status being aired is what has become known as “EEA-minus”, described by Rupert Harrison, a former adviser to George Osborne, as “a bit more immigration control and a bit less single market”.

* Arch-Eurosceptic MP John Redwood: the UK did not recently vote for a slightly beefed up version of Mr Cameron’s attempted renegotiation with the EU. We voted to leave, to take back control of our laws, our money and our borders.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I was told that when people voted to leave the EU, it was to cut off all ties with Europe and to make any deal with the EU would be against what the majority of the people voted for.

15. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Given that ‘the people’ did not vote on any deal with the EU whatsoever except on the (then and still) existing one, you should just disregard that opinion of theirs as objectively false.

16. Kyriakos

Any other known candidate in Alan Farridge's new party?

17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

18. Kyriakos

19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

"Most successful political leaders" my arse. He's never even managed to be elected to Westminister and has barely shown up in the parliament where he was elected.

tjs282 and Silurian like this.
  20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

If they are anything like UKIP MEPs count that as a blessing :)

Kyriakos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.